Careful where you lock your bike

Sept. 2, 2003, 12:56 a.m.

Walking up Seymour St on Sunday afternoon we see a girl locking her bike up to a sign - you know, one of those that shows the parking restrictions. She walks away, and a few seconds later this punk darts out of the alley, pulls the sign up and out of its base, crashing it into a the building and making a huge racket, and tries to pull it out thru the lock on her bike. What blew me away is the number of people around right there! I was with about 6 friends and there were tons of other people walking by. No one realized what was going on until the girl turned around, saw it, and yelled 'my bike!'

Luckily the lock went thru the front wheel so he couldnt ride away. It happened so fast everyone kinda stood there and watched him for a few seconds. Realizing he couldnt ride he tried to pick it up and run, but had to toss it when some of us took off after him. Unfortunatley he got away (luckily…. for him!) but the girl got her bike back.

I always thought those posts were bolted in at the bottom but apparently not. I have locked my old bike to those before. If it had worked out for him that guy could have been gone in 3-4 seconds and no one would have had a chance to stop him.

I know most of us would never leave our bikes anywhere, but if you do, make sure you lock it to something anchored in, put your lock thru a wheel if possible, and ghost shift to a hard gear to make it hard to ride away. This was an old beat up kona hardtail, not a very expensive bike, and the guy was still willing to take it.

Be careful where you lock your bike!

Sept. 2, 2003, 1:05 a.m.

dam to bad he got away…

i would have loved to have read the "we sure fuked him up " part of teh story…

bike thieves need to be thrown under moving bus's…:cool:

Sept. 2, 2003, 4:36 p.m.

The posts are supposed to bolted down but it the theives that are unbolting them. Be careful.

Sept. 2, 2003, 10:54 p.m.

all i can say is, when possible, lock it to things a bit more difficult to move than posts (ie. park benches - they're a bitch to move!) even then, if they can lift the bench, they'll have to drag it WITH the bike, so good luck to them. be wary also because with poles it's possible to lift the bike up, tear off the sign and just lift it off the top of the post. too dangerous these days….

Sept. 2, 2003, 11:06 p.m.

hello city, you listening? you want people to ride bikes, not drive cars, how about some way to keep the bikes safe? Bike racks please! Hard to unbolt a welded together rack.