care of hydration pack

Sept. 24, 2006, 9:47 a.m.

whats the best way too care for the bladder after a ride?
i rinsed it out and left the cap off so the bladder will dry inside.
what do you do?

Sept. 24, 2006, 9:55 a.m.

definatley rinse it out. I used to use boiling hot water, rinse the bladder, then connect the tube and run it through the whole system to get everything out. then use cold water as a final rinse.

send them a pic of you riding their DH RACE bike off the roof of Rochester School…and ask if the crack is really a manufacturing defect.

EVIL DOC FOR SALE!!
http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=2155
PM ME!

Sept. 24, 2006, 10:04 a.m.

Basic Cleaning

Use hot, soapy water and rinse thoroughly with hot water.
Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth or open, invert, and allow to air dry.
Be sure you clean the mouth piece, cap, lid, or any surface that comes in contact with the liquid.

The Organic Way:

Add 1/4 cup of baking soda to 3/4 cup of water and shake for 30 seconds.
Add 1/4 cup of lemon juice, shake for 10 seconds, and vent by loosening cap away from face. Release the pressure by opening the cap away from your face.
Repeat shaking and venting twice.
Expel as much air as possible, then cap bottle, and allow to soak for 20 minutes.
Rinse thrice with hot water, and let dry.

The Old-Fashioned Way

Add one ounce of unscented household bleach to a litre of clean water. Mix for 10 seconds.
Fill the reservoir and drinking tube with solution and leave overnight.
Rinse thoroughly and let dry.

www.FVMBA.com

Sept. 24, 2006, 10:18 a.m.

thank you ,

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:11 a.m.

you can get a hydro pack cleaning kit from anywhere u can think of…i have one.

Sept. 24, 2006, 11:35 a.m.

If you are gona use it in the next while just fill with water , bladders with a little bit of water that are not taken care of tend to mildew,dump and refill that old water before you use the bladder again .

I have a bladder with a built-in gel pak that you put in the freezer and clip in to a dakine drink tube ,it never mildews in the freezer

For long term storage you DO wana get the bladder all dried out

Sept. 28, 2006, 10:46 a.m.

I try to get as much water out then I throw it in the freezer 'til the next ride. I am never able to get ALL the water out so I just try to slow down the 'evil' bacteria growth.

Sept. 28, 2006, 11:03 a.m.

yeah if you ride every 2 or 3 or 4 days and you only use clean water you can pretty much not worry about this one.

i've had bladders go months without a cleaning and the water tastes as good as from the tap.

once you start putting anything but water in there things change in hurry though! or i suppose if you water sucked, but lower mainland has pretty solid water really

Sept. 28, 2006, 12:34 p.m.

been doing the freezer thing ever since I got my 1st gen. Camelbak back in the days.
Use mine once a week , rinse , empty , roll it up , freezer.
Just remember NOT to unroll it when frozen , it can crack at seams if U do.

father,husband,mountainbiker , but not allways in that order

Sept. 28, 2006, 1:20 p.m.

If you are gona use it in the next while just fill with water , bladders with a little bit of water that are not taken care of tend to mildew,dump and refill that old water before you use the bladder again .

I have a bladder with a built-in gel pak that you put in the freezer and clip in to a dakine drink tube ,it never mildews in the freezer

For long term storage you DO wana get the bladder all dried out

As Giggler and XXX_er indicate, if you use your pack fairly regularly, just rinse and fill with fresh water. I have had mine for just under two years, use this procedure and not cleaned it once. Oops sorry, I'm wrong, I did clean it once when the bladder got contaminated by sitting next to a rotten banana for a couple of weeks. I typically use it twice a week in the summer and once a week in the winter and it's fine.

The chlorine residual that is added to our water supply is designed to keep it relatively sterile within the distribution system. It does the same job in your pack, particularly if you keep a decent amount of water in it and keep it cool/cold and in the dark. These conditions reduce the likelihood that indigenous organisms can flourish. Obviously try to keep your muddy mitts out of the bladder and from contacting the inside of the fill port or cap.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Sept. 28, 2006, 2:25 p.m.

whats the best way too care for the bladder after a ride?
i rinsed it out and left the cap off so the bladder will dry inside.
what do you do?

I normally wait until the water goes green, althou that gives me something to chew on during the ride…

Sept. 28, 2006, 2:39 p.m.

I normally wait until the water goes green, althou that gives me something to chew on during the ride…

sweet, im not the only one.

Sept. 28, 2006, 2:44 p.m.

Seriously…

Sept. 29, 2006, 2:02 p.m.

Like thegiggler said, ride more and it's not an issue. I live in 85%+++ humidity
365 air temps that never get below 75F highs and no mold. I ride 3-4 days
per week though…

^the polident seems like it might work though, and you'd get a nice minty taste
every time you drink…MMmmmmm!

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons