Carbon Wagon Wheels

July 23, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

What tires have you been running? Did you notice a significant change in tire profile on the wide rims?

DHF and DHR2. I went to a 60 series in the rear as the HR2 3C didn't last long and was not overly impressive. Significant is a relative term but didn't really notice that much.

:canada:

July 28, 2014, 11:08 a.m.

DHF and DHR2. I went to a 60 series in the rear as the HR2 3C didn't last long and was not overly impressive. Significant is a relative term but didn't really notice that much.

I have a 60 series HR2 in back right now. I figured it would be a good choice for summer. As long as conditions are dry it's good. Otherwise, watch out.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

July 28, 2014, 12:07 p.m.

I figure a tire that has a harder compound but more tread is going to outperform a tire that has a softer compound and less tread. I don't think I'd go back to a 3C in the rear for the small or big bike.

:canada:

Aug. 11, 2014, 1:16 p.m.

So my Derby DH-layup 35mm carbon rims showed up. They are beautiful.

Curious to hear recommendations for spokes. I've considered going to heavier tandem-type spokes like the Wheelsmith DH13 or DT Alpine 3s. For this application do these heavier spokes make sense or am I better off going with a more traditional 2.0/1.7/2.0 butted spoke?

Aug. 11, 2014, 1:37 p.m.

I'm also thinking of getting the 29er version of the Magic Mary. I wonder if running that front and rear will be overkill.

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:04 a.m.

I'm also thinking of getting the 29er version of the Magic Mary. I wonder if running that front and rear will be overkill.

WTB Vigilante FTW - I'm running them front and rear on the Prime. Wicked tire.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

WTB Vigilante FTW - I'm running them front and rear on the Prime. Wicked tire.

The 2.3 29er AM looks nice. Decent weight. Tread looks like a cross between a HD and a DHR2.
How has it been for tackiness vs wear?
Is it roughly the same size as a 2.35 HD?
Have you used it front and rear?
Have you used it in the wet yet? My memory (however skewed) is that WTB tires are bad in wet weather.

Aug. 12, 2014, 10:38 a.m.

The 2.3 29er AM looks nice. Decent weight. Tread looks like a cross between a HD and a DHR2.
How has it been for tackiness vs wear?
Is it roughly the same size as a 2.35 HD?
Have you used it front and rear?
Have you used it in the wet yet? My memory (however skewed) is that WTB tires are bad in wet weather.

I had the 26" version of those tires. They rode great front and rear. They did wash out a little upfront, especially when worn, but nothing crazy. They were solid in the wet as the rubber is pretty soft. I did find they wore out pretty quickly. I got about 2 months of hard riding out of them but I was on borrowed time during the last 2 weeks.

Aug. 12, 2014, 8:43 p.m.

So my Derby DH-layup 35mm carbon rims showed up. They are beautiful.

Curious to hear recommendations for spokes. I've considered going to heavier tandem-type spokes like the Wheelsmith DH13 or DT Alpine 3s. For this application do these heavier spokes make sense or am I better off going with a more traditional 2.0/1.7/2.0 butted spoke?

Stick with normal spokes. Those rims are so bloody stiff that you might appreciate a bit of give that DT Comps will give you. I sold my Derbys because I sold my E29 but they're awesome wheels.

You won't be disappointed with a nice build with DT Comp spokes and black brass DT Prolock nipples. A+ combo for pushing your bike hard.

Aug. 12, 2014, 9:10 p.m.

^im running Comps and Prolocks with LB 30mm AM layup on the Chromag.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 12, 2014, 9:16 p.m.

^im running Comps and Prolocks with LB 30mm AM layup on the Chromag.

I built up the same combo for my Nomad3 except with Nobl (LB) 27.5 rims. Solid and reliable build.

Aug. 13, 2014, 8:21 a.m.

Punkey/Bogey - remind me what you weigh? It's tricky when you're on the edge of the size range to determine what's going to be overkill and what's going to be just enough. I haven't ever experienced wheels that are too stiff, especially on a 29er. What happens when wheels are too stiff? Can the heavier spokes affect the natural ride characteristics of the carbon rims?

Aug. 13, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

Punkey/Bogey - remind me what you weigh? It's tricky when you're on the edge of the size range to determine what's going to be overkill and what's going to be just enough. I haven't ever experienced wheels that are too stiff, especially on a 29er. What happens when wheels are too stiff? Can the heavier spokes affect the natural ride characteristics of the carbon rims?

6'5" and 250lbs geared up. I'm not a wheel bashed but I do stress things out.

If your wheels are too heavy you'll just be making your bike feel sluggish. When spending this kind of dough you should be building durable but light. And we all know that 29ers need all the help they can get with rotational weight.

If your wheels are too stiff they can fatigue you prematurely and even more importantly they won't have that bit of give that helps them confront to the trail. Board stiff is generally not a good trait in frames, forks, wheels or bars.

I've also gotten info from two long term carbon rim manufacturers stating that they prefer to build with lighter spokes such as DT Revolution because it is easier on the spoke bed. I wouldn't use Revs except for an XC wheelset and I would stick with DT a Comps for burlier wheels.

Aug. 13, 2014, 10:32 a.m.

But if the wheel is finally super stiff then doesn't that mean that the bike's suspension is now doing more work, which should be fine?

The Alpine 3s add 30g per wheel at the hub so it's really not a lot of extra weight. Is that extra bit of meat per spoke enough to push a wheel's ride characteristics over the top?

Aug. 13, 2014, 10:41 a.m.

But if the wheel is finally super stiff then doesn't that mean that the bike's suspension is now doing more work, which should be fine?

The Alpine 3s add 30g per wheel at the hub so it's really not a lot of extra weight. Is that extra bit of meat per spoke enough to push a wheel's ride characteristics over the top?

Don't really have time to get into the dynamics of a bike but you do want some lateral give for optimal traction. For the most part, suspension just moves up and down.

So why go to the expense of Alpine 3's if there's hardly a difference?