Carbon Wagon Wheels

May 17, 2014, 11:46 p.m.

I weight 180, land sideways often, and have to put 34 in a rear 2.3 Control casing. That's not a tire you can run low pressure on, just like a Ralph or other lightweight casing.

flickr

May 18, 2014, 11:41 a.m.

I weight 180, land sideways often, and have to put 34 in a rear 2.3 Control casing. That's not a tire you can run low pressure on, just like a Ralph or other lightweight casing.

Try the grid casing Morgan…. Way better!

May 18, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

I have one in waiting but have been enjoying the DHR2s too much and haven't had a 29er test bike in a while!

flickr

May 18, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

Try the grid casing Morgan…. Way better!

I tore a Grid 2bliss butcher right through the tread last week presumably on a nice sharp rock. They are definately more supportive and tough than the Controls, but not as stout as the EXO casing. I've had a lot of time on the later, never an issue.

RE: wheels. I've had good luck on Carbon Havens, both 26" and 29". I'm on year 3 on the 26". I ride them quite hard, 'Enduro' race them, XC them. I've had umpteen hard rock strikes with no issue. Spoke issues yes, hub issues yes (until the upgrade). But they are real, real strong, at least from impact, at least under me.

May 19, 2014, 12:19 a.m.

lots of good reviews about easton carbon rims, or more importantly, few bad ones. i wish they were wider, and that they used normal spokes.

May 19, 2014, 10:43 a.m.

lots of good reviews about easton carbon rims, or more importantly, few bad ones. i wish they were wider, and that they used normal spokes.

Yes to the wider, however there is a bonus to the straight pull double threaded nipples; trail side spoke replacement without removing the wheel, front and rear, even drive side. Nipples are expensive, however. I also wish they had a few more spokes in the rear…

May 20, 2014, 7:20 a.m.

well sure, all the good ones, but what about sketchy cheap no-name chinese carbon rims? what could possibly go wrong?

You mean the ones built in the same factories as some of the name brand rims? I'm not seeing any differences in failure modes or numbers based on the marketing department size of the company selling the rims.

Some made in the US Enve rims fail. Some of better known brands get rims made in the same factory as the "crappy homemade bomb" carbon rims they just cost multiples of what the unbranded rims cost. Even if you had double the failure rate [which I am not seeing] you still wouldn't be spending any more $$.

May 20, 2014, 1:58 p.m.

Pretty happy with my carbon wheels. Anything can and will break given the right circumstances.

May 20, 2014, 4:24 p.m.

I'm not seeing any differences in failure modes or numbers based on the marketing department size of the company selling the rims.

Even if you had double the failure rate [which I am not seeing] you still wouldn't be spending any more $$.

I and thousands of other folks [4 I know personally] are riding knock off time bombs.

There are a few broken rims that you can dig up on the internet and that group includes Enves.

I have come across very few LB issues and they were handled in the rider's favour every time.

damn vik, seems like you've really done your homework. the extent of your data gathering - thousands of instances! - and analysis - breaking things down by brand, failure type, time, cost, relative size of marketing department, etc. - sounds pretty extensive. do you have all of this documented in a database or spreadsheet you can post or share? that would be great

:rawr:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 20, 2014, 6:05 p.m.

damn vik, seems like you've really done your homework. the extent of your data gathering - thousands of instances! - and analysis - breaking things down by brand, failure type, time, cost, relative size of marketing department, etc. - sounds pretty extensive. do you have all of this documented in a database or spreadsheet you can post or share? that would be great

:rawr:

If you've got a different perspective feel free to share it, but so far the only solid argument against the lower cost Chinese carbon rims is that they cost less so they must be inferior.

Derby rims are made at the LB factory and Ibis partially funded that project so I expect their carbon rims are made there as well.

If you want to pay for ENVE rims go nuts, but so far I am not seeing any performance or failure difference in reports posted online.

If you are seeing a difference let us know.

May 20, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

Ignore the haters Vik… you just can't please some people. Just ride your bike and smile.

May 20, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

If you've got a different perspective feel free to share it, but so far the only solid argument against the lower cost Chinese carbon rims is that they cost less so they must be inferior.

Derby rims are made at the LB factory and Ibis partially funded that project so I expect their carbon rims are made there as well.

If you want to pay for ENVE rims go nuts, but so far I am not seeing any performance or failure difference in reports posted online.

If you are seeing a difference let us know.

I ordered 2 sets of LB hookless wide rims for less than one set of Enve rims go for. One set will be on Hope Pro2s, the other on DT 240s. The new M series Enves use a hookless design, and are wider as well.

I'll save the Enve for the cockpit and fork department though

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 20, 2014, 8:09 p.m.

Just ride your bike and smile.

this is a thread started by someone asking for ride impressions of 29" enve wheels. by my count vik's got 5 posts in 2 pages aggressively derailling things, trying to justify (to whom?) his decision to buy 650b rims for his new bike… sounds less like riding and smiling, and more like this

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 20, 2014, 8:28 p.m.

I don't think it's that at all. I think it's that Vik got some rad wheels for about the same as the the cost of one of the new Enve rims and wants to make sure people know that the new LB rims are working out for him and there is no need to spend the big moolah on the name brand rims.

With that said I bought some LB's at the same time as Vik so you could say I was doing the same thing….if you wanted to be all negative. ;)

May 21, 2014, 6:31 a.m.

this is a thread started by someone asking for ride impressions of 29" enve wheels. by my count vik's got 5 posts in 2 pages aggressively derailling things, trying to justify (to whom?) his decision to buy 650b rims for his new bike… sounds less like riding and smiling, and more like this

The OP stated that he was avoiding the cheaper Chinese options because they were time bombs. That's factually incorrect. I'm just setting the record straight so that the OP and anyone else reading this thread has a realistic assessment of the options before they drop thousands on ENVE rims thinking they are the only reliable option.

What exactly have you added to this thread that's been useful?