Carbon Rim Lifespan

Aug. 26, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

DT Swiss 471…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoCSzVmhhQ

Would ride. For DH I'm running the 570 and it's been bombproof.

:canada:

Aug. 26, 2016, 9:53 a.m.

I guess it is a fine line then between a flexible carbon rim and a stiff Al rim? The initial draw of carbon rims was the added stiffness (weight savings is negligible between similar carbon and Al rims), but if they are going to starting making them more flexible to extend their lifespan, might as well stick with the cheaper Al option?

Well carbon isn't exactly any stiffer, but obviously it can be designed to be stiffer.

My seat of the pants feel says my 27mm internal Nobl rims are stiffer than my last set of 23mm internal aluminum rims, but that's not really a fair comparison to make.

In that vid of Dusty trying to break the carbon rim, the big difference is how it returns to its original shape. It springs back to form. Can't do that with aluminum. I suppose its those levels of flex and deflection that are the big draws of a dh rim.

Aug. 26, 2016, 10:03 a.m.

I guess it is a fine line then between a flexible carbon rim and a stiff Al rim? The initial draw of carbon rims was the added stiffness (weight savings is negligible between similar carbon and Al rims), but if they are going to starting making them more flexible to extend their lifespan, might as well stick with the cheaper Al option?

I dig product growth and development; but I always hear the words of Warren Buffett in my mind saying "profit comes from innovation and production", so this is my umbrella perspective on - unfortunately - all things. I'm super jazzed to see the entrance of CF into our world of MTBing, the more the merrier in the sense that economies of scale bring down costs the greater the popularity and accessibility; but one has to look at the big picture and see that sometimes new is not always better. And in the case of CF, ya, they can be awesome but that's not to say they'll shut the door on AL wheels just like that. When strength to weight ratios start levelling, and then the inherent flaws of one technology start to reveal themselves due to uber-heightened innovation, it's hard not to consider "hey, was it broke before we tried fixing it??". I love my CF hoops - for their particular application on my particular bike - they kickass. But as with the video a few posts up regarding the ENVE and Stans, et al - a level of compliance and flex can actually be beneficial in certain circumstances. Enter AL wheelsets.

Great thread.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 26, 2016, 10:48 a.m.

DT has the EX511 27.5 on some euro sites now.

This.

If you are looking for a burley yet reasonably light rim, look to something like the DT Swiss EX471. They are designed to bend inward when dented, but they are a lot harder to dent than the new Easton's. Not new school wide though…..and not very vertically compliant (read: very rigid).

EX511 is more new school wide. 30mm inner width I believe

DT Swiss 471…

Would ride. For DH I'm running the 570 and it's been bombproof.

511 started to appear on WC DH bikes a round or so ago. Rude ran it in CO and Whis.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 26, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

Lifespan? In my case about 8 months past the warranty period. Not really the fault of the rim though- caught a spoke on a root stump and instead of the spoke breaking it pulled the nipple (and nipple anchor- Easton Haven) right out of the rim which is now screwed and waaaay to expensive to have replaced by Easton/Raceface.

Aug. 26, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

I saw a rad video recently where they did a slo-mo vid of a rim being hit with an anvil. The carbon rim folded in, the spokes went all loose and flopped around then the rim snapped back into shape and the spokes went tight again. The aluminum just remained folded and the spoke stayed floppy.

Aug. 26, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

I saw a rad video recently where they did a slo-mo vid of a rim being hit with an anvil. The carbon rim folded in, the spokes went all loose and flopped around then the rim snapped back into shape and the spokes went tight again. The aluminum just remained folded and the spoke stayed floppy.

like your penis. Floppy penis.

Aug. 26, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

Only when I drink whiskey or look at topless pics of you on Facebook.

Aug. 27, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

Only when I drink whiskey or look at topless pics of you on Facebook.

totesadorbs

Aug. 27, 2016, 9:46 a.m.

This.

EX511 is more new school wide. 30mm inner width I believe

511 started to appear on WC DH bikes a round or so ago. Rude ran it in CO and Whis.

EX511 front, EX471 rear. That's pretty Enduro;-) Noticed them on the German sites. 50ish Euro a pop (Including nipples and washers). Not a bad option if you are building up a set.

Nice to see a lot of option now!

Sept. 24, 2016, 12:05 a.m.

Just quoting this because it's awesome.

Think I've talked myself into possibly buying a NOBL front wheel when I'm home next month. No way in hell can I afford two of these, but I've got a generic hand me down on the front now that seems to wander drunkenly so I'm looking for something moar stiff.

Somebody who has one best decision ever?

I've only ever wrecked one front wheel and about 900 rear wheels, so I figure it's odds are decent. I'll be putting an aluminum WTB Frequency on the rear eventually if my wallet ever recovers.

Or I can just build up an aluminum front wheel. KOM maybe, though it may end up wandering drunkenly as much my current wheel…

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Sept. 24, 2016, 10:23 p.m.

Jesus after this afternoon's downhill I'm not sure my hands could handle a carbon front wheel.

Jon Harris's NOBL article on the front page last month said he'd be writing up his experience with the wheels at the end of the summer, I wonder if that's coming out soon…

Sept. 27, 2016, 3:12 p.m.

Anyone out there running the same carbon rims on their AM/Enduro bike for more than 2-3 years? How far would you take them before selling them or relegating them to lighter duty?

My carbon light bicycle rims are 4yrs old in 2017. I'll be using them until they break. So far I have hammered them on rocks, pinch flatted tubless tires and still not a mark on the edges of the rims.

I've got plans to replace them. No idea how long they'll last.

Sept. 28, 2016, 8:50 a.m.

Or I can just build up an aluminum front wheel. KOM maybe, though it may end up wandering drunkenly as much my current wheel…

Not sure what wheel size or rim width youre buying but I can tell you that my china carbon 29er rim was 100g lighter and torsionally much more stiff up front than my arch ex. Both about 23mm inner. The arch wandered on steep pitches, carbon rim nada. Id expect a kom to be similar to the arch. I dunno about vertical compliance. Still true a few years later.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Sept. 28, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

Not sure what wheel size or rim width youre buying but I can tell you that my china carbon 29er rim was 100g lighter and torsionally much more stiff up front than my arch ex. Both about 23mm inner. The arch wandered on steep pitches, carbon rim nada. Id expect a kom to be similar to the arch. I dunno about vertical compliance. Still true a few years later.

Good info, cheers. 27.5 25mm inner KOM and 27mm inner NOBL are the rims I was speaking of. I'm expecting to hate the reduced vertical compliance of carbon, but c'est la vie in the search of light rotational weight with good torsional rigidity.