Carbon Rim Lifespan

Aug. 24, 2016, 5:54 p.m.

2-3 years? Wow. 2-3 months is about the most I've got out of a set. In fact my front wheel lasted 2 weeks in Whistler last season.

I've never been a rim smasher before carbon came along, and since I've stopped using carbon wheels my DT's are still round [HTML_REMOVED] in one piece.

I ride a 160mm bike, that gets used for everything - trail riding, racing enduro [HTML_REMOVED] also DH.

My hit list includes; Easton, Enve, Derby, LB [HTML_REMOVED] Nextie.

Carbon wheels seriously don't work for me, and I'm not even convinced by the supposed benefits of being much stiffer. A nice aluminium wheelset rides better IMO.

I gave my wife my last warranty set of wheels. This happened yesterday funnily enough.

I agree that maybe expecting carbon rims to last 3+ years is a bit optimistic. But I also think your situation is insane. You're a wheel masher of the highest order. Something about your style just doesn't suit carbon. I've also heard similar stories from hardtail guys.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 24, 2016, 10:03 p.m.

Has anyone put in much time on the new Easton ARC 30s? They seem pretty good for what they are.

Aug. 25, 2016, 6:30 a.m.

-C- I think you're a prime candidate for the new DH carbon rim that Nobl is testing. Its got a different profile and is flexible yet insanely strong. A carbon rim used for DH needs to have some flex or it will get smashed.

Here's Dustin trying to break a prototype: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTOa9vAfeb/?taken-by=noblwheels[HTML_REMOVED]hl=en

Aug. 25, 2016, 7:26 a.m.

-C- I think you're a prime candidate for the new DH carbon rim that Nobl is testing. Its got a different profile and is flexible yet insanely strong. A carbon rim used for DH needs to have some flex or it will get smashed.

Here's Dustin trying to break a prototype: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTOa9vAfeb/?taken-by=noblwheels[HTML_REMOVED]hl=en

And Dustin is Orca fat so that says something.

Aug. 25, 2016, 8:21 a.m.

Has anyone got a video doing this to another carbon rim for comparison?
Now that they've shown this new rim I want to wait and learn more.

Aug. 25, 2016, 8:26 a.m.

I saw one of a guy putting all his weight, one in each hand on a pair of ENVE rims then attempting that on a pair of light Stan's aluminum rims but he could not put much weight on the Stan's for fear of collapsing them. The ENVE rims did not budge.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/carbon-mtb-wheels-do-you-need-them.html

It is in this video somewhere I think.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 25, 2016, 9:23 a.m.

I saw one of a guy putting all his weight, one in each hand on a pair of ENVE rims then attempting that on a pair of light Stan's aluminum rims but he could not put much weight on the Stan's for fear of collapsing them. The ENVE rims did not budge.

If you start at 4.00 you get the build up to it.

Aug. 25, 2016, 11:45 a.m.

Has anyone put in much time on the new Easton ARC 30s? They seem pretty good for what they are.

After over 1,000km on my stock DT Swiss rims I dented my Arc 30 after about a week. The combo of the 30mm and slightly lower pressure really drops the protection your rim gets from rock hits.

Wheel's still true and once it gets based a few more times I'll just throw another rim on.

Aug. 25, 2016, 6:56 p.m.

After over 1,000km on my stock DT Swiss rims I dented my Arc 30 after about a week. The combo of the 30mm and slightly lower pressure really drops the protection your rim gets from rock hits.

Wheel's still true and once it gets based a few more times I'll just throw another rim on.

What model DTs did you have 1000+km on?? Interested.
Thanks
DS

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 25, 2016, 7:13 p.m.

What model DTs did you have 1000+km on?? Interested.
Thanks
DS

If you are looking for a burley yet reasonably light rim, look to something like the DT Swiss EX471. They are designed to bend inward when dented, but they are a lot harder to dent than the new Easton's. Not new school wide though…..and not very vertically compliant (read: very rigid). Stan's Flows (and the new Easton's) have a nicer ride but are easier to dent, in my experience. I am not friend of rear rims 8-)

Aug. 25, 2016, 10:17 p.m.

If you are looking for a burley yet reasonably light rim, look to something like the DT Swiss EX471. They are designed to bend inward when dented, but they are a lot harder to dent than the new Easton's. Not new school wide though…..and not very vertically compliant (read: very rigid). Stan's Flows (and the new Easton's) have a nicer ride but are easier to dent, in my experience. I am not friend of rear rims 8-)

Thanks - just wondering how the DT M1700 wheelsets hold up as they're coming on my new Reign A1 (2016 model, not the 2017). I've had DT wheelsets in the past and was always really happy with them. My latest ride, the Trance A1 comes with in-house CF wheels and they're awesome - well over 100hours on them and still 100% true. I'm incredibly impressed. Hoping the same or similar from the M1700s.

I know a lot of it has to do with technique, finesse, suspension setup and obviously terrain, but I've hammered these wheels - they're banger - in everything but the most gnarly and fast DH style rides.

Thanks for the recommendation.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:01 a.m.

The take home message I am implying is that making a flexible carbon hoop is the answer to a strong DH worthy rim. Overly stiff is not the way to go.

Aug. 26, 2016, 7:03 a.m.

And Dustin is Orca fat so that says something.

A pregnant orca who just finished the entire take out menu from A[HTML_REMOVED]W.

Aug. 26, 2016, 8:47 a.m.

The take home message I am implying is that making a flexible carbon hoop is the answer to a strong DH worthy rim. Overly stiff is not the way to go.

Agreed.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Aug. 26, 2016, 8:52 a.m.

I guess it is a fine line then between a flexible carbon rim and a stiff Al rim? The initial draw of carbon rims was the added stiffness (weight savings is negligible between similar carbon and Al rims), but if they are going to starting making them more flexible to extend their lifespan, might as well stick with the cheaper Al option?