Carbon helmets?

March 20, 2013, 8:23 p.m.

What's the big deal with carbon helmets? it seems like every single company has one now. Are they that awesome that they should cost 3X as much as regular helmets? Why are people willing to pay these prices just to shave a bit of weight off their helmet? I have never tried one on - am I missing out or something?

March 20, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

Bling and status. Ended up with a composite D3 last summer, and got dropped off all the cool kids contact lists.

Won't make that mistake again.

March 20, 2013, 8:35 p.m.

Bling and status. Ended up with a composite D3 last summer, and got dropped off all the cool kids contact lists.

Won't make that mistake again.

The price difference between the D3 Carbon and Composite isn't that significant (only around a $60 price difference if I remember correctly).

March 20, 2013, 8:41 p.m.

Gwin has a carbon helmet…..must mean something?

March 21, 2013, 9:08 a.m.

The carbon helmet is lighter.

If you are riding long days you will actually notice and appreciate the difference.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

March 21, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

What they said..
You can notice the lighter weight on a full day of riding in Whistler.

Also, the carbon fiber will shatter on impact, which helps absorb the force of hit.

I landed on my head in Whistler, using a 661 carbon. The helmet was completely damaged, had a compression fracture on my spine, but didn't even get a concussion. That's how good the helmet worked. So I bought exactly the same model..

March 21, 2013, 11:16 a.m.

What they said..
You can notice the lighter weight on a full day of riding in Whistler.

Also, the carbon fiber will shatter on impact, which helps absorb the force of hit.

I landed on my head in Whistler, using a 661 carbon. The helmet was completely damaged, had a compression fracture on my spine, but didn't even get a concussion. That's how good the helmet worked. So I bought exactly the same model..

Hmmm. Not sure that the carbon fiber shattering on impact is a safety feature of carbon helmets?… the outer skin is supposed to be strong to prevent penetration of trailside objects. Shattering on impact would hamper this capability. Its the liner such as the MIPS system which provides the majority of the safety features of the helmet.

The carbon fiber primarily aids in reducing the weight of the helmet.

Any helmet design engineers care to chime in?

March 21, 2013, 11:33 a.m.

Hmmm. Not sure that the carbon fiber shattering on impact is a safety feature of carbon helmets?… the outer skin is supposed to be strong to prevent penetration of trailside objects. Shattering on impact would hamper this capability. Its the liner such as the MIPS system which provides the majority of the safety features of the helmet.

The carbon fiber primarily aids in reducing the weight of the helmet.

Any helmet design engineers care to chime in?

You are right, but usually the carbon shell shatters but doesn't come apart.. it stays together.

In any case, when I hit my head in Whistler, the doctor asked to see the helmet, I guess to assess the force of the impact.

He said that by the damage in the helmet, plus the compression fracture, I must have hit the ground pretty hard, and I didn't get a concussion, so the helmet did a good job absorbing the hit.

March 21, 2013, 1:39 p.m.

Can't speak for the troy lee's but the Remedy CF definitely ain't worth the extra cash ($280 vs $140). I have one of each (composite and CF) and I feel no difference at the end of the day.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 21, 2013, 2:55 p.m.

I have a Bell Drop helmet (about 1150 grams) and a Kali Avatar (850 grams)… I only use the Bell for night riding but the weight difference is quite noticeable. For one shuttle run who cares, but for a full day of park riding the Kali is much better comfort wise.

March 21, 2013, 3:01 p.m.

The carbon helmet is lighter.

If you are riding long days you will actually notice and appreciate the difference.

[QUOTE=atb's sludgepot;2736906]After getting hot by a car my neck would always bug me after a long day of riding its a noticeable improvement since I got a carbon d3 instead of my normal d2. Worth the extra $ if you get a sore neck from riding.[/QUOTE]

^these