Carbon fiber rotors

Feb. 28, 2013, 5:10 p.m.

I saw a pic of Carbon fiber/ceramic rotors. Aparantly you can use normal brake pads.
Will the rotors last longer? will they be noisey?

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Feb. 28, 2013, 5:18 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=151546[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=carbon

March 1, 2013, 12:05 p.m.

Checked out the thread……………Nothing but useless comments.
So these rotors are a carbon fiber composite. Carbon fiber needs a glue to hold it together. Ceramic particles are added to the glue. Ceramic is at least ten times as hard as stainless steel. In theory these rotors should last a very long time.
Stainless rotors are very thin and the metal is soft so they bend very easily!
Carbon fiber products are very stiff and CF does not shatter on impact as some might suspect.
Ceramic would have a wiked bite so I think the breaking performance would be much better than steel.
Heat dissipation is not an issue with the rotor,the rotor needs to cook in order for the brakes to work. The caliper needs to stay cool not the rotor.
Normal pads work with these rotors.
For free riding I would stick with steel rotors but for all Mtn and XC these rotors would probably work very well!
I suspect ten years from now most bikes will have CF rotors. Mountain bikers are slow to catch on to a good thing.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

March 1, 2013, 1:01 p.m.

If you check out their Facebook page you'll see indications that these rotors work as advertised. http://www.facebook.com/KettleCycles The rotors do not need to be hot to work and it appears they are more quiet than steel. Organic pads may work better too.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 8, 2013, 11:52 a.m.

At this point someone just needs to try them.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 8, 2013, 2:20 p.m.

At this point someone just needs to try them.

I am in contact with them and will hopefully be getting a set, but not for a month or so…will letcha know how they are.

March 8, 2013, 7:07 p.m.

Emailed, and waiting for a reply. Will try to get on a 180mm set asap.

April 30, 2013, 6:47 p.m.

did anyone try these?

April 30, 2013, 7:40 p.m.

Guinea pig here. Got my 180 and 160. XTR trail brakes on a 29er hard tail. Bedded in the resin pads. Not enough bite even after several rides. Not able to lock up the rear brake on pavement unless the front was on hard too. Could lock up on gravel. Could barely do a stoppie without a lot of body English. Swapped out to new metal pads. Big difference but still not as grippy as metal pads on a steel rotor. Rode lower oil can last night. I survived but I was hauling on those levers fucking hard to control my speed in places where you need to. My take is that they might be great where you don't need to brake hard all the way down. I found that had to change my braking style by staying on the brakes more and getting on them sooner. In short, they suck.

I got sucked in by their better modulation claim but if I had thought about it more, maybe I would have realized that obviously you can't change the power and modulation of the actual brake, so the better modulation comes by using a less grippy rotor with less grippy resin pads (which they recommend) just like SRAM and Shimano that claim that organic or resin pads provide better modulation but less ultimate power.

They are consistent and they are very quiet. Zero squeal. Light and look killer.

April 30, 2013, 7:47 p.m.

^you're just slow to catch onto a good thing. ;)

I'll stick to what works. Steel

April 30, 2013, 7:58 p.m.

Guinea pig here. Got my 180 and 160. XTR trail brakes on a 29er hard tail. Bedded in the resin pads. Not enough bite even after several rides. Not able to lock up the rear brake on pavement unless the front was on hard too. Could lock up on gravel. Could barely do a stoppie without a lot of body English. Swapped out to new metal pads. Big difference but still not as grippy as metal pads on a steel rotor. Rode lower oil can last night. I survived but I was hauling on those levers fucking hard to control my speed in places where you need to. My take is that they might be great where you don't need to brake hard all the way down. I found that had to change my braking style by staying on the brakes more and getting on them sooner. In short, they suck.

I got sucked in by their better modulation claim but if I had thought about it more, maybe I would have realized that obviously you can't change the power and modulation of the actual brake, so the better modulation comes by using a less grippy rotor with less grippy resin pads (which they recommend) just like SRAM and Shimano that claim that organic or resin pads provide better modulation but less ultimate power.

They are consistent and they are very quiet. Zero squeal. Light and look killer.

Thanks for the report. I've been following this closely, and your report matches up with every other early buyers' reports out there. Looks like a bit more refinement is needed before this becomes a viable option.

April 30, 2013, 8:36 p.m.

Yup. Bling is bling , but function is king. Just put the steel ice tech rotors back. Five stops in the lane and already they're better.

April 30, 2013, 8:40 p.m.

These guys talked about them and reported similar things.. except they spun it in a good way..

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/09/first-impressions-kettle-cycles-siccc-sfl-carbon-disc-brake-rotors-more-news/

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

April 30, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Thanks for that confirmation. I read the BR piece too and decided I wasn't getting all excited about them.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.