Carbon Fiber lifespan

March 31, 2013, 8:17 a.m.

this threads mostly bout frames, but here are some confidence building pics considering I just picked up a pair of XO DH's…

that's nothing new. those things seem to fall apart left and right.

March 31, 2013, 11:06 a.m.

I've always shied away from carbon fiber because of the old horror stories of sudden catastrophic failure and short life-span. But it seems companies with reputations for reliability (like santa cruz) have embraced it. Are quality carbon fiber frames built to last now? Can of worms to buy used? How many years can someone get out of a carbon fiber fully with average use?

To me the ? would be has CF become any worse or better or the same as aluminiuim??

March 31, 2013, 11:55 p.m.

get that boat talk outta here! we live for the dirt, not the waves dude..

Carbon is carbon whether it floats or not. :rolleyes:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

April 1, 2013, 12:43 a.m.

i've seen quite a few broken xo cranks..

April 1, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

Those weren't my cranks but I just picked up the XO DH's and threw them on yesterday. Their so light I hope they last

i've seen quite a few broken xo cranks..

glad I have the bill, Truvativ a big enough company they should be able to back up their warranty for a long time

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

April 2, 2013, 2:20 p.m.

as dumb as it seems, those little rubber boots seem useful for carbon cranks

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 2, 2013, 3:07 p.m.

as dumb as it seems, those little rubber boots seem useful for carbon cranks

Yup…use them, the Race Face Booties also fit the XO's

I Love carbon, I have a full carbon build , minus wheels ..so far so good ( but too soon to tell…3 months and counting)

April 2, 2013, 4:18 p.m.

Yup…use them, the Race Face Booties also fit the XO's

I Love carbon, I have a full carbon build , minus wheels ..so far so good ( but too soon to tell…3 months and counting)

I've heard 'bout these boots how much they go for ?

I've used alot of Carbon Fibre hockey sticks over the years, and slashses and faceoffs break the sticks, usually not with a shot and proper bend on the stick, I could see why these boots would make sense

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity

April 2, 2013, 5:10 p.m.

I dunno bro seems pretty risky. I heard some people were breaking carbon bikes and parts last decade.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 2, 2013, 6:09 p.m.

Carbon Fibre lasts a long long time. Considering that the current use of CF is for ride quality as opposed to lightness.

just think, the fighter jets on the NBR forum are 25+ years old and are CF as well.

slow is smooth and smooth is fast

April 2, 2013, 9:25 p.m.

Carbon Fibre lasts a long long time. Considering that the current use of CF is for ride quality as opposed to lightness.

lightness has got to be a close 2nd