Carbon Evil

April 7, 2011, 11:56 a.m.

evil must have some deep pockets to have survived the last couple years [HTML_REMOVED] be moving forward in this venture.

Income from their overpriced components over the years must have been invested or saved somewhere. Look at the soveriegn frame mk1. Silly expensive, bad welding, heavy (rode like a dream though). My current titanium frame was cheaper.

April 7, 2011, 12:45 p.m.

Very cool of them to be up front about who is making their shit. All the best to them with this design too.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

April 7, 2011, 1:05 p.m.

carbon evil took down ridemonkey.

April 7, 2011, 1:28 p.m.

I'm not an expert but it looks like Hodaka has long term experience with carbon.

http://www.hodaka.com.tw/

www.vitalmtb.com

April 7, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

Well better to have a frame show up late (that wil be an easy sell if you don`t want it) than not at all.

I bet Rainguage is a happy man with this news.

I'm very happy. I guess I'll see how my V10C rides and go from there. I already have a friend with his name on the V10 if I decide not to keep it.

I wouldn't say that the misalignment issues were completely Evils fault. It's not like they were welding in house. The factory should know how to align a frame and make design suggestions if they can't build it consistantly. That's why you go to a big MFG for something like this; their knowledge and expertise.

April 7, 2011, 1:40 p.m.

the prospect of a company that couldn't get an aluminum frame right going straight to carbon as a fix is hilarious. obviously their design ability, quality control processes and ability to pick a decent manufacturer are all suspect - trusting them to get it right on round two when they're basically starting from scratch, oh man that's pretty much the longest shot i can think of. i think the smartest thing those who were burned the first time to do is this:

i can see the pinkbike ad now :lol:

You're definitely right that they failed to pick a decent manufacturer but I don't see how it's obvious that their design ability is suspect…care to clarify?

Only internet joking.

Haha, thought so but I had to ask… haven't heard of anyone who's put serious time in on one that wasn't impressed (with the ride at least!)

April 7, 2011, 2:29 p.m.

I read that article on Pinkbike and I couldn't believe they'd put that out there. Good for them for supporting their aluminum bikes and offering up a replacement.

But the whole tone of that article, blaming the factory for screwing up their bikes? Blaming the factory for the lack of replacement parts? That's pretty weak. You shouldn't be selling them if you don't have the means to support what you've sold. And if you've picked a crappy factory to make your bikes, that's your fault and your problem. Nobody else.

Can you imagine any other industry doing something like this? Can you imagine that your new car won't drive straight because the frame is crooked? Or your suspension linkage broke after 3000 miles? And you went to the dealer and they said "Sorry, the factory in China screwed up your car. We're working on a replacement but it's a few years away. We don't really have any spare parts to fix it either." And then to offer up the past horror story as a selling feature for the new bike? It's just laughable.

April 7, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

Pretty big difference in volume between a car manufacurer with multiple factories and a obscure bike brand.

Sure they probably went with the factory that put out a low-ball bid and are paying for it now, but you can't change that stuff overnight.

April 7, 2011, 2:44 p.m.

they were made at a well known factory in Taiwan.
people should recognize a scapegoat when it's presented to them.

April 7, 2011, 3:20 p.m.

I recognize that they're a small brand. If anything, when I buy from a small brand it's because I expect:

1) Higher quality.
2) Better attention to detail.
3) Better service.

And my point is that we wouldn't accept something like this in the course of our normal lives, so why is it okay in the bike industry? They're using the failure of their last product as a sales feature of the "new and improved" model.

I'll brace myself now for the inevitable avalanche of "it's just marketing" comments.

April 7, 2011, 7:44 p.m.

lol tags from RM thread:

2 months = 2 years, 2 weeks =2 months, baiters gonna bait, buck me in the s, buck the trend, buck you!, carbongasm, consumerism, could careless, demo 9 mom whore, e-speculation!, evil = blame the asians, evil is evil, haters wanna hate, hype machine rolling, ih8rice wants new evil?, its on the way, new evil=no evil, suckers new evil?old evil, waiters gonna wait, where is bradflyn

April 7, 2011, 7:58 p.m.

'waiters gonna wait'….aaaahahahahaha

April 7, 2011, 8:15 p.m.

the prospect of a company that couldn't get an aluminum frame right going straight to carbon as a fix is hilarious. obviously their design ability, quality control processes and ability to pick a decent manufacturer are all suspect - trusting them to get it right on round two when they're basically starting from scratch, oh man that's pretty much the longest shot i can think of. i think the smartest thing those who were burned the first time to do is this:

i can see the pinkbike ad now :lol:

This is what I thought the minute I saw it. The revolt was all about reving up the hype machine. What better way to do it than bring it back in carbon and hope it sells before the problems show.

April 7, 2011, 8:21 p.m.

Can anyone explain to me why their shock is offset to the non-drive side?

welcome to the bottom of my post.

April 7, 2011, 8:38 p.m.

Can anyone explain to me why their shock is offset to the non-drive side?

so the linkage and jazz doesn't interfere with the chainguide/ring/etc. I do believe.

Check my stuff for sale!