Carbon Evil

April 7, 2011, 8:45 p.m.

I think everyone on here is being a little harsh on the company. We deal with chinese suppliers at my work and the product we recieve is hit an miss, no matter how many times you visit the factory tosee how things are done. It's the way things are done over there. You gotta give them credit for not releasing the crooked alu. frames as replacements or shoddy parts. They are honoring all of the warranty issues with carbon frames which I think is extremely commendable.

April 7, 2011, 9:32 p.m.

i agree with tmack. we get parts made at a large manufacturer and we will start by ordering a few small batches to hopefully work out the flaws. when everything looks great we go to a large order to take advantage of volume pricing and boom a whole new problem will present itself that wasn't there in the smaller orders, frustrating!

April 7, 2011, 9:45 p.m.

An example of this is recently we built a machine for a customer. We ordered the steel used to make the machine from the same supplier we have always used in China. After almost a year of cutting and welding the machine was assembled and ready for testing. As soon as we went to test it the entire unit cracked in half. Design flaw? Nope. The plate that was used was full of imperfections. We dont have an xray machine in house, there was no way of knowing this was going to happen. The problem got fixed but the customer was extremely upset at the 4month delay. Was it technically our fault? No but in the customers eyes it was. Sounds like Evil experienced a similar setback to some degree.

April 7, 2011, 9:46 p.m.

Isn't it also very expensive to make changes after you have put up the money for the carbon laying mold?

April 7, 2011, 10:03 p.m.

I recognize that they're a small brand. If anything, when I buy from a small brand it's because I expect:

1) Higher quality.
2) Better attention to detail.
3) Better service.

Annnnnd…there is where I totally disagree.

April 7, 2011, 11:10 p.m.

good on them for honering the warenty.

April 7, 2011, 11:43 p.m.

so the linkage and jazz doesn't interfere with the chainguide/ring/etc. I do believe.

Yup, exactly. My Giant Reign X and lots of other bikes are like this too.

I'm glad they're offering the new frame as a warranty replacement for Revolt owners, really it's the right thing to do. It's the not the customer's fault that the bidder you chose to make your boutique priced frame didn't deliver.

I think they probably should have just got Giant to build their carbon bike (and kept it on the down-low). Seriously.

Edit: I just remembered that Giant actually owns a decent chuck of Hodaka. Interesting.

April 8, 2011, 8:09 a.m.

You disagree? Perhaps you can explain why? There are a lot of small companies out there that don't offer any of this, but I don't buy from them. I'm saying that if/when I do buy from a smaller company, these are the reasons why I would choose them. If I can't get a better product or better service for (most likely) more money, then why would I buy it?

Tmack and Antihero…yeesh. I understand that their are difficulties in manufacturing in China. I'm supposed to feel badly for Evil because their offshoring didn't work out for them?

April 8, 2011, 8:22 a.m.

I'm with you. Were it not for a few select local brands I would have sworn off boutique bikes long ago. They rarely offer more than gee-whiz factor without being any more durable or reliable.

But then again I get a great deal of satisfaction of out my gee-whiz bikes as long as they offer a performance benefit. (Hi Noel!)

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 8, 2011, 1:40 p.m.

The plate that was used was full of imperfections. We dont have an xray machine in house, there was no way of knowing this was going to happen. The problem got fixed but the customer was extremely upset at the 4month delay.

Of course if you added in the cost of an Xray machine and a mill that QC's their steel or whatever, the customer would go with the next bidder. Everyone wants the low low price without the risks that come with it.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 8, 2011, 2:35 p.m.

I'm with you. Were it not for a few select local brands I would have sworn off boutique bikes long ago. They rarely offer more than gee-whiz factor without being any more durable or reliable.

But then again I get a great deal of satisfaction of out my gee-whiz bikes as long as they offer a performance benefit. (Hi Noel!)

You're missing the point. I'm in no way suggesting that all small builders offer these things. I'm suggesting that these are the reasons why I would go with a small builder vs. a large builder. If they're not offering any of this up, then why bother?

April 8, 2011, 2:44 p.m.

You're missing the point. I'm in no way suggesting that all small builders offer these things. I'm suggesting that these are the reasons why I would go with a small builder vs. a large builder. If they're not offering any of this up, then why bother?

Agreed. But these things are always promised and rarely delivered.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

April 9, 2011, 10:56 p.m.

props to Evil for that warranty.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

April 10, 2011, 12:17 p.m.

^granted, talk is cheap.

April 11, 2011, 9:44 a.m.

An example of this is recently we built a machine for a customer. We ordered the steel used to make the machine from the same supplier we have always used in China. After almost a year of cutting and welding the machine was assembled and ready for testing. As soon as we went to test it the entire unit cracked in half. Design flaw? Nope. The plate that was used was full of imperfections. We dont have an xray machine in house, there was no way of knowing this was going to happen. The problem got fixed but the customer was extremely upset at the 4month delay. Was it technically our fault? No but in the customers eyes it was. Sounds like Evil experienced a similar setback to some degree.

Luv ya Tyler but, tell your boss he's a cheap prick like Evil and it'll come back to bite ya in the ass everytime. Build it right once AND in North America with no offshore building materials or labour. I'm not even in a Union!! just sick of junk from the orient.