Canyon prototype high pivot idler gearbox frame

Aug. 24, 2021, 7:49 a.m.

Wow more like this please. Now we are finally moving in full size steps forward.

Canyon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS7I70AMqxP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Canyon

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS6H_6KsEPu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Aug. 24, 2021, 10:59 a.m.

WOW

Aug. 24, 2021, 12:13 p.m.

N E A T.

I'll take more of this as well please. I can't believe derailleurs are still the method of choice for gears, let's get the gearbox tech moving forward.

Aug. 24, 2021, 12:43 p.m.

The DER is still around cuz so far nothing is as efficent, gear boxes have always sucked for a human powered bike but could be a moot point on an E-bike

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 24, 2021, 12:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 24, 2021, 1:06 p.m.

while it's a neat industrial design project, i'm not seeing much of functional benefit; style over substance.  

and yeah, i agree that gearboxes might (finally) see mainstream adoption in the guise of ebikes. pedally bikes? not so much.

Aug. 24, 2021, 1:25 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

The DER is still around cuz so far nothing is as efficent, gear boxes have always sucked for a human powered bike but could be a moot point on an E-bike

Yeah I know, I just can't believe we haven't come further with the gearboxes is all.

Aug. 24, 2021, 2:39 p.m.

And to be fair I have great luck with derailleur systems. I don't need insane range or a 52t cog. My 11spd drivetrains work remarkably well with remarkably little maintenance and are cheap to replace. I don't often smash derailleurs on stuff, so realistically the clearance issue isn't significant for me. 

yep. i used to be a gearbox evangelist back when derailleur drivetrains were less refined (15 or so yrs ago).  now, not so much. having spent some time on a well refined, modern gearbox (pinion) trailbike, the positives still don't outweigh the negatives - for me (others may have unique use case scenarios that tip the scale in the other direction).

Last edited by: xy9ine on Aug. 25, 2021, 12:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 25, 2021, 10:57 a.m.

For the love of god, get rid of the twist shifters for gearboxes please.

Aug. 25, 2021, 8:13 p.m.

I think the gear boxes are pretty efficient in some gears and kinda crap in others - similar to derailleur systems. Most may be surprised how much efficiency you lose when you use your granny cog. I suspect it is in the order of 5-6% as compared with a straight chainline.

Aug. 26, 2021, 7:11 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I think the gear boxes are pretty efficient in some gears and kinda crap in others - similar to derailleur systems. Most may be surprised how much efficiency you lose when you use your granny cog. I suspect it is in the order of 5-6% as compared with a straight chainline.

If you're like me and hardly ever get into the small cog but get into the big cog multiple times on every ride maybe it would be worth adjusting your chainline to be optimum a little higher up the cassette then?

Aug. 26, 2021, 12:23 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: RAHrider

If you're like me and hardly ever get into the small cog but get into the big cog multiple times on every ride maybe it would be worth adjusting your chainline to be optimum a little higher up the cassette then?

*Andrew Major enters chat*

Aug. 26, 2021, 8:48 p.m.

Posted by: Vandy

For the love of god, get rid of the twist shifters for gearboxes please.

Effigear has you covered dawg. Major drawback is them being French French.

Aug. 28, 2021, 3:08 p.m.

Non-boost chainring offset FTW if your frame allows it. Every time. With a boost frame it keeps the chainline where it should be for riders like me.

Last edited by: bogey on Aug. 28, 2021, 3:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 29, 2021, 7:13 a.m.

Posted by: bogey

Non-boost chainring offset FTW if your frame allows it. Every time. With a boost frame it keeps the chainline where it should be for riders like me.

Totally.  As long as you have frame clearance and clearance from the chain to the tire, zero downside in my mind.

Aug. 30, 2021, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Posted by: bogey

Totally.  As long as you have frame clearance and clearance from the chain to the tire, zero downside in my mind.

This^

Also the reason why I won't bother with 12 speed for a while. Smaller chainring with an 11 speed cassette saves weight and runs a smaller chainring that is easier to run non-boost. Currently running a non-boost 28t on my chromag. 

That being said, I've been looking at rholoff for over a decade. I stopped dreaming about it once 1x11 came out though as the gains seemed to be outweighed by the negatives. Maybe a custom hardtail with a gearbox one day? I feel gearboxes are finally going to find their place