Cantis

Feb. 2, 2016, 1:46 p.m.

this might belong in the lycra or commuter sections, but it is a gear question, so

what's the best bang-for-your-buck cantilever brake system currently available? my beloved m734's are on their last legs after countless years of faithful service. looking for something affordable and effective

i'm pretty good at setting up canti's so not too worried about that aspect of the design

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 2, 2016, 2:13 p.m.

Look into Mini Vs as well. A lot of people seem happy with them.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Feb. 2, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

CX70's get the nod from me based on their ability to handle varying rim widths better than most. Makes pad alignment way easier than with Paul or TRP. Can't speak to the Avid canti's as I haven't tried them.

NSMBA member.

Feb. 2, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

I agree on mini-Vs too but might not be an option depending on any clearance issues (fender / mud / tire etc).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Feb. 2, 2016, 7:41 p.m.

Look into Mini Vs as well. A lot people seem happy with them.

I had the Paul V-brake's for Canti-pull levers on my old cross bike and they were excellent. All the fittings are replaceable, so if you ever need fittings/springs you can just fully rebuild them… So, up front they're an investment but if you're going to keep the bike a long time they won't wear out.

Way better than any canti brakes I have ridden (Paul, TRP, Avid) properly set-up or otherwise.

The only issue may be tire clearance (Cantilevers can accommodate much bigger tires).

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Feb. 2, 2016, 8:51 p.m.

Avid shorty ultimate are easily the best I have ever used….never tried the Pauls though.

Feb. 2, 2016, 9:25 p.m.

I have Pauls touring cantis on my cross bike. They're not exceptionally powerful or anything (not surprising, pretty old-school design) but they're serviceable and easy to set up and seem like they'll last forever. I bet a Paul mini v would be awesome.

Feb. 2, 2016, 9:37 p.m.

I have a few full sets you can have free. FSA SLK beautiful finish stiff spring work badly. I think I have a full set of Avid shorty 5 too. Free to good home. They are in Whistler now but I can bring them down next week. Might even have some older Tektro mini v's.

If you want decent canti's, Avid ultimate is the go to. Pauls are awful.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 3, 2016, 1:03 p.m.

thanks guys

i don't think anything made by paul can be described with the phrase "bang for your buck" or "affordable" - and those mini-v's are hideous!

i'm confused by how the cx70's can accomodate a wide range of rim widths? looks like they've only got one long ass spacer…

strangely, i'm annoyed by how easy the new generation of canti's look to set up, pretty similar to v-brakes i guess. if i can't be a snobby retro grouch… might as well run disk brakes

oh well, thanks again. off to ocb to dig through the $5 bins in search of buried treasure

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 3, 2016, 7:15 p.m.

I guess affordability depends on how long you're amortizing something for and what you apply value to. Probably a difficult thing to crowd source product info on.

I'm on disks except for my one old trailer puller with calipers. I don't find the power lacking on the road even with the trailer, steep North Van hills, and riding in all weather… But every time I clean the brakes/pads/rims I wish I had disks.

Andy's free SLK canti brakes probably have more than enough power for what you're doing; they're free…

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather