Cane Creek Double Barrel Tuning Chat

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:12 p.m.

I've just got my dirty mitts on a Cane Creek DB air inline with climb switch. The Cane Creek site doesn't have a custom tune for the Banshee Prime, so I am using the "neutral" tune from the website.

The shock appears to be bottoming out a lot. I added 5 psi for my second ride and no change - still more bottoming out than I would expect. (however - it doesn't feel like it's bottoming out…)

Any tips from other DB Air users?

Anyone else got a DB air on their Prime?

I'm going to start playing with the HSC settings next.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:19 p.m.

The Inline has ~ the same air volume as a CCDB Air CS with an XV air can. You can usually ballpark from the base tune for a CCDB Air CS XV when setting up an Inline.

I'm about ~185lbs and I would run your bike with a regular air can on a CCDB Air CS. From that I would say I would need to add a significant amount of volume spacers to match the ramp up from a regular air can CCDB Air CS with an Inline.

Generally (for the Shore) I'm +2 clicks LSC and +2 clicks LSR and~3-5% less sag than CaneCreek's base tunes as my starting point for any bike that has specific base settings.

Mean People SUCK! Nice People SHOVEL!

Trails For All; Trails For Weather

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

I recently set up a CCDB Air CS with the XV can for my home build.

I did some digging to find a frame with a similar leverage ratio that they had a base tune for. Started with that and set my sag to 20%.

Found it felt a touch soft not enough support and slow on rebound. Added 1 click of LSC and removed one LSR.

Felt pretty damn good after that and have not played with it.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3 p.m.

Weird, I can't get mine to bottom with my HS compression turned to 0! I put in one of the rings and it's better…but I still have issues getting full travel. Keep on meaning to write to CC again and ask to have them send another tuning ring to see if that helps.

I am on a Prime too, but am a fatty so I have to put a ton of air into the can to get the sag even close to correct.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:28 p.m.

If you can't get a shock to bottom and you are adding air volume spacers something is f'ed up.

You would add more volume spacers if you were bottoming too easy.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:29 p.m.

Weird, I can't get mine to bottom with my HS compression turned to 0! I put in one of the rings and it's better…but I still have issues getting full travel. Keep on meaning to write to CC again and ask to have them send another tuning ring to see if that helps.

I am on a Prime too, but am a fatty so I have to put a ton of air into the can to get the sag even close to correct.

HSC will only keep the shock from bottoming when the shock sees a notable acceleration in the last 20-30% of shock stroke. If the shaft velocity is consistent then changes to the HSC won't affect how the damper responds. E.G. hitting a massive wheel eating bump in the last 20% of stroke vs. smoothly landing a drop.

Adding volume spacers will make it harder to bottom (less volume in air can).

Are you on an Inline or a CCDB Air/Air CS? If the latter are you running the standard or XV air can?

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:36 p.m.

See, that's what I thought too, but Brian from CC said I should put one in….soooo….shrug. I am running an Inline.

EDIT: I just sent him another email.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

See, that's what I thought too, but Brian from CC said I should put one in….soooo….shrug. I am running an Inline.

EDIT: I just sent him another email.

Ask him to run your serial number and confirm what sized shock you have according to their build spec.

The Prime calls for a 200x57mm (7.875x2.25") shock. A 200mmx50mm (7.875x2") shock LOOKS identical from the outside. If your shock is consistently not getting the last ~7mm of stroke its possible you have the wrong size.

Sept. 8, 2015, 3:55 p.m.

You could find good info on the Banshee subforum of mtbr if you haven't wandered over there yet.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:42 p.m.

The Inline has ~ the same air volume as a CCDB Air CS with an XV air can.

if that's the case, it might be too high-volume an airspring to play well with the prime

i was running an isx-6 on my prime for the first year i had it. realizing i was running little to no compression damping, i bought a basic float r hv with light compression damping to see if i could drop a little weight (lulz). even with more air than i thought should be required (i.e. little or no sag to be had) i was blowing through that shock. realized that the isx-6 had a much smaller canister, which is maybe why it played better with the prime…

haha that's totally backwards. maybe "ad a spacer" is cc's version of dell's patented trouble shooting tip

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:56 p.m.

if that's the case, it might be too high-volume an airspring to play well with the prime

Yes. I would run a regular air can on all Banshee's frames so my experience matches yours.

You can certainly add a bunch (a bunch) of volume spacers (same as you can for a CCDB Air CS XV to get it to the air can volume of the regular can), but at the end of the day the Inline is a bit of a silly choice for the Prime (sorry).

Reasons you'd get an Inline over a CCDB Air CS:

1) Water bottle clearance (see Bronson) or frame clearance (carbon Sight). Not an consideration with Banshee.

2) Weight. Trying to maximize the performance of your Carbon XC/Trail bike at no penalty over an RP23 on the scale? Okay. Prime is a great bike but shaving grams off your bike via suspension?

OE's spec the shock to keep costs and weight down, but the difference in street price = go CCDB Air CS every time if it fits.

I'd still like to know the shock is a 2.25" not a 2". A guy River's size running an Inline on a Prime with little in the way of volume spacers and lots of sag should be bottoming all day (which makes me think maybe he is?)?

Bottom out should be ~55-57mm stroke.

Sept. 8, 2015, 4:59 p.m.

I've been running the CCDB air for 3+ years… here's what I know.

It uses more of it's travel on a regular basis then any other shock I've used. This is intentional by design. I'll go for a light XC ride, and my rubber o-ring will be near bottom! But it feels fantastic like this once setup.

Rivers - There is more shaft than there is shock (that just sounds dirty). When you're bottomed out, your o-ring won't be bottomed out. You will still have 4-5mm of space. There is no hard bottom out either, they've managed to cushion it really well. Also it's bad for the shock to run it 0 HSC. When the first DB air came out on the Knolly Chilcotin a few years ago, people were freaking out that they couldn't bottom it out, and dropping the HSC to 0, when in fact it was just getting used to this new shock, and realizing that they made it very hard to truly hard bottom out. We were also told to stop running 0 HSC at that point as well by CC.

Sept. 9, 2015, 6:33 a.m.

I have a CCDBA on a Mojo Hd and an Aurum. I would agree with grahammtbr on the bottom-out thing. Compared to the RP23 or something like a Vivid Coil, there isn't the same kind of "thud" when you reach the end of travel. The suspension doesn't go any further, but it doesn't feel like a hard stop.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

Sept. 9, 2015, 6:57 a.m.

Alrighty - volume reduction it is.

I contacted Keith at Banshee, and he concurred that there would be a need for some volume reduction.

As to why I chose the inline? Yes - it was a weight reduction choice. My Prime is the pre-production frame, and is a bit of a porker. I will take any weight loss on it I can.

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Sept. 10, 2015, 8:08 a.m.

I'm running 2 and a half of the blue spacers in the DB Inline on the Range. This gives the shock a nice ramp up, allowing less air pressure, better suspension performance at sag, yet good bottom out adsorption. I found on the longer travel Range I had to minimize the HSC and HSR on the Inline. For the Prime as a suggestion extrapolating from my Range settings, try 2 of the blue spacers, one turn out on both the high speed adjusters, and 10-12 clicks out on the low speed adjusters.

Biking: As addictive as cocaine, twice as expensive!

:safrica: - :canada: