Cane Creek Double Barrel Rear Shock

Nov. 4, 2006, 3:47 p.m.

I was wondering if anyone has had any time on this shock. I saw a review on pinkbike that really intruiged me. Does anyone have one. How much ar they cdn$?

.:NSTP:.

Nov. 6, 2006, 10:35 a.m.

Decline's fork/shock section has a review…

http://www.declinemagazine.com/productreviews/forks/productreviews_forks.htm

Nov. 6, 2006, 10:43 a.m.

I have one on my intense 6.6. MSRP is about 680 USD for them I believe.

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Nov. 6, 2006, 1:56 p.m.

I've heard they're very good. But thats about all I have to contribute

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 6, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

I have one on my intense 6.6. MSRP is about 680 USD for them I believe.

Hmm.. Have you ever ridden an Avalanche? It would be interesting to compare a DHS to a Double barrel.

Nov. 6, 2006, 5:18 p.m.

Hmm.. Have you ever ridden an Avalanche? It would be interesting to compare a DHS to a Double barrel.

Yes, I had one on the bike prior to my intense - was on a banshee chap. The avalanche chubie.

dear DW,

thanks,
steve

Nov. 6, 2006, 6:33 p.m.

So how are you liking it? I've heard that they're very nice, just expensive

soundsystem gonna bring me back up! It's one thing that I can depend on…

Nov. 6, 2006, 6:40 p.m.

If Ohlins is behind it, I would guess that its better than anything on the market.

Scott, with your money, just buy it already.

Nov. 6, 2006, 7:33 p.m.

With my money I might as well buy you one too Wayne!
Seand: how do you like the Double Barrel so far? Did you at any point have a different shock on that same bike?

I'd also be interested in comparing it to an AVY. I've ridden one of those a little and they are very nice.

Nov. 6, 2006, 8:02 p.m.

How nice! I'll take two please.

XOXOXOXOX

Nov. 6, 2006, 8:09 p.m.

you've got it big guy. I'd say it's too bad that yodo doesn't distribute the double barrel shocks, but then they would cost even more, which I would not like.

Nov. 6, 2006, 8:31 p.m.

They wouldn't cost more! It would be adjusted to be the same.

Nov. 6, 2006, 10:23 p.m.

Try a quick search over on Bustedspoke. I know that the Avy/CCDB comparison has been done over there. The last word I got from 2 guys I knew who switched to the DB was that it is an outstanding shock.

Nov. 7, 2006, 4:02 a.m.

my buddy has one on his Ellsworth Moment, says it blows his DHX and the Romic before that out the water!!

Ohlins stuff is the sh*t

their shock is "twin tube" type rather than "de carbon" type (most shocks on market are de carbon)

so you get highly controllable, independant damping - oil circulates continously through the valving

with de carbon shocks, only displaced oil is pumped back and forward to the resevoir, its not continously circulating, so the adjusters have little effect, only on the oil moving into and out the resevoir

expensive shock, but hey..if you got the $$ well worth it

Mythic / Da Kine / Esher Shore / Freeborn

http://hampsteadbandit.blogspot.com/

Nov. 7, 2006, 7:02 a.m.

I havent had my coffee yet so this is going to be all over the map :)

okay so i started out with a fox van rc on my banshee…i blew that thing up proper :) I got the avy chubie (with ti coil…the steel made it feel sloppy) and after some fine tuning..and i do mean fine since craig@avy set that thing up almost perfect, i was rockin. The best part of the avy, besides the actual shock and all its benefits…zero maintenance. Once a year it goes back to craig for overhaul and the rest of the year you forget about it. I liked that.

I decided to get rid of the banshee…

the next bike was the intense 6.6. It came with the dhx air, which was a great shock for one lap down seymour. Currently I have my 4th dhx air at home, still in the orig box, which will be used for a spare for when the canecreek goes in for a rebuild.

i put the avy on the intense for kicks and LOVED the feel of it. It felt at home on the intense, but it was setup for the banshee so when the banshee was sold to a friend, the avy went with it. The dhx air fiasco was re-installed on my 6.6.

I had a long roadtrip ahead of me - kamloops, whistler, etc…i needed a reliable shock. Cane Creek, just like Avy, custom tunes your shock for you to fit your riding style, weight, and bike. Canecreek was working closely with Intense and they had an intimate understanding of how the 6.6 works, so the double barrel was a sure thing.

I got lucky and they had a "blank" shock that was the right i2i for my bike..they tuned it up and overnighted it to me.

mmmmm db+6.6

With the shock came a book. The book covered the inner-workings of the shock and a very helpful tuning/setup section. The biggest advice anyone can walk away with is "1/4 turn tune your shock". Your shock comes almost spot-on tuned for trail riding. You are going to have to adjust it for hucking or bike park riding, but for every day riding it is pretty damn close to correct.

You can fine tune yourself into a nightmare. I read about someone who went crazy with the tuning; came from a fox background where he just clicked the shock a bazillion times to notice any change in rebound, and had to send it back to CaneCreek to be reset :)

To adjust your shock you need to carry some tools; finger adjustments are not going to happen. That is a downside, and quite possibly the ONLY downside. I found the highspeed and lowspeed adjustments just what the doctor ordered since the avy does not offer that by default (without the added cost upgrade).

Malcolm@canecreek has been an amazing help and resource for my shock. If anyone decides to look into this shock, he is the man to deal with.

Here is a nice added bonus to the double barrel.

The first season you beat on the shock, and your season ends, you need to get the service groove on. Happens with all parts…the guys at CC give you a complimentary tune/rebuild. This is only for original owners (not ebay buyers and 2nd handers…).

For those who are Ti fans…Canecreek was going to offer a Ti upgrade but RCS was not able to supply them with the number of coils they wanted. You can still upgrade to a Ti, but you have to do it yourself. Just make sure the ID is 1.43 and you are set.

Overall..I found the shock to be a dream. Hands down the best feeling shock I have ridden yet. That, married with my 66 rc2x provides the ultimate suspension setup for my bike. I do not regret for one second putting it on my bike. When I get my Socom, I plan to toss a canecreek on that bike too.

Hope that helps.

dear DW,

thanks,
steve