Canadian nicolai / geometron owners - spares?

Dec. 6, 2022, 8:52 a.m.

Where do you all source your spare parts? I'm building up a G19 and apart from directly from the source or Nicolai UK I've not seen or heard from anyone else in North America currently

Dec. 6, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

What spare parts? When I bought my G1 I ordered two spare hangers. Don't need anything else. Definitely order all the mutators you think you might want when you buy the bike as the shipping charges are ridiculous.

Dec. 7, 2022, 10:34 a.m.

my G19 frame has no mutators which saves me some parts spec I guess - unfortunately the last owner was a little hamfisted with the allen keys so I'm looking for shock mount bolts, frame bolts etc - which I could probably figure out from a different supplier as they may be something generic that I can get somewhere else.
I finally got in contact with the North American distributor but they just order from Nicolai and then send it up here from the US so I don't really see any savings there either.

The hanger is bent and I'm not sure I got the spare rado with it, it's missing the cable guides that sit above the main pivot. I'd also probably go for some new bushings as well but again, probably sounds like a larger order from Nicolai UK to make it worth my while postage wise or wait until I can mule them over with in-laws

Dec. 7, 2022, 5:05 p.m.

You try bike-components.de?

They sell Nicolai, and g19 parts specifically. They're in Germany but maybe their shipping is more reasonable. I bought a Raaw frame from them shipped to Canada and shipping was not crazy.

Dec. 8, 2022, 10:55 a.m.

Great idea, thanks, completely forgot about them!

Dec. 9, 2022, 5:37 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

my G19 frame has no mutators which saves me some parts spec I guess - unfortunately the last owner was a little hamfisted with the allen keys so I'm looking for shock mount bolts, frame bolts etc - which I could probably figure out from a different supplier as they may be something generic that I can get somewhere else.
I finally got in contact with the North American distributor but they just order from Nicolai and then send it up here from the US so I don't really see any savings there either.

The hanger is bent and I'm not sure I got the spare rado with it, it's missing the cable guides that sit above the main pivot. I'd also probably go for some new bushings as well but again, probably sounds like a larger order from Nicolai UK to make it worth my while postage wise or wait until I can mule them over with in-laws

I'm pretty sure the hardware is standard metric hardware. It sounds like you need enough stuff that it would be worth the pricey shipping since they charge the same amount for a padded envelope that contains one small item or many. Order your cable guide, hangers and hardware all at once. 

I lost one of the cable guides from my G16 (the one that sits on the head tube gusset) and we just used a hardware store cable guide with standard hardware. It was so unobtrusive I never bothered to replace it with the real thing. Though I've been more diligent checking my hardware since then.

Jan. 12, 2023, 8:05 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

You try bike-components.de?

They sell Nicolai, and g19 parts specifically. They're in Germany but maybe their shipping is more reasonable. I bought a Raaw frame from them shipped to Canada and shipping was not crazy.

This is where I ordered my G16 bearings/cable guides from. 

Also; why not order direct from Nicolai DE instead of UK?

When I go G1 shopping I'm ordering all the Mutators like Craw said.

Jan. 14, 2023, 8:10 a.m.

While we're talking about this, I'm shopping for a new Nicolai after I sold my G1. Nicolai sent me an invoice for the new bike but included 19% VAT. When I bought my G1 from Geometron (UK) they waived the UK VAT at purchase (there was a line item in my invoice that set VAT to 0). Is it not the same for the EU? Canadian visitors to the EU can claim back VAT paid on goods purchased so why would this be different?

Jan. 14, 2023, 8:37 a.m.

Posted by: craw

While we're talking about this, I'm shopping for a new Nicolai after I sold my G1. Nicolai sent me an invoice for the new bike but included 19% VAT. When I bought my G1 from Geometron (UK) they waived the UK VAT at purchase (there was a line item in my invoice that set VAT to 0). Is it not the same for the EU? Canadian visitors to the EU can claim back VAT paid on goods purchased so why would this be different?

You are right, if you are buying from outside the EU and have it shipped outside the EU, they should not be charging you German VAT. Best to contact them.

Jan. 14, 2023, 1:58 p.m.

Canadian visitors to the EU can claim back VAT paid on goods purchased so why would this be different?

I was looking at a bike in the UK and they didn't deduct VAT when I put it in my cart and showed my address was in Canada. I contacted the company and that wasn't a mistake. They weren't deducting VAT. I didn't buy the bike so I didn't argue it further. I'd mention it to the company and see what they say.

Jan. 14, 2023, 2:37 p.m.

https://en.nicolai-bicycles.com/shipping/

Orders with delivery address in non-EU countries are indicated in the shopping basket incl. the German VAT. When invoicing the invoice the amounts of the ordered articles are indicated net. For deliveries abroad, customs and import charges may apply in the country of destination. These costs are to be borne by the recipient. Nicolai GmbH has no influence on these fees.

A refund of the VAT for the execution in Elze / Mehle of paid goods can only be made if an export buyer certificate for VAT purposes is sent to us within 3 months of the invoice date. You can obtain the form free of charge from us.

Sounds like Nicolai couldn't be bothered to adapt their website and order process for the odd non-EU order but will refund you the VAT after sending in some form.

A little German bureaucracy to enhance the experience of buying a German niche frame ;-)

Jan. 15, 2023, 9:17 a.m.

What bike are you looking at following the G1 out of curiosity?

Jan. 25, 2023, 4:06 p.m.

Nicolai Nucleon. I found the G1 head angle a bit too slack and the overall wheelbase too long even for me. I can set up the Nucleon with a 64' HA and WB closer to 1330.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 25, 2023, 4:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 25, 2023, 4:54 p.m.

^rad! supre drivetrain trickness aside, i really like the aesthetics of this bike; it's a refreshing departure from their traditionally agricultural aesthetic. 

when do you expect to receive?

Jan. 25, 2023, 7:47 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

^rad! supre drivetrain trickness aside, i really like the aesthetics of this bike; it's a refreshing departure from their traditionally agricultural aesthetic.

when do you expect to receive?

I've decided not to go with the Supre drivetrain. The Supre rear end requires 157mm rear spacing plus all the Supre gear. The UDH version of the bike runs the same front triangle and linkages but the rear end is standard 148mm with the pulley. This is a cost effective compromise for me: I get to use all my current parts. I can upgrade to the Supre/158mm rear end later if I want to. I think the Supre drive is a great idea but I want to see more of it in the world first. Frame should arrive sometime in April.

Last edited by: craw on Jan. 25, 2023, 7:47 p.m., edited 2 times in total.