Can I use an MRP 2x10 G2 guide on my 2x9?

May 30, 2012, 7:46 a.m.

I just killed the minimal Gamut P20 guide that came on my Enduro and need some kind of front chain retention. I'm on a 2x9, which is pretty much new so I won't be switching to 10-speed anytime soon.

Is the chainring spacing so different with 10-speed that I couldn't use this Sram/MRP guide?

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-x-guide#/path/term-id/267

A Blackspire Stinger is probably the cheapest solution. Are there any sexier options? Is there any particular advantage to dropping my bash ring and going with BB-mounted back protection?
It looks like going with the MRP vs Stinger/bash combo is about the same weight.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

May 30, 2012, 7:58 a.m.

And has anyone ever used one of these Bionicon guys?

http://www.c-guide.org/

They're not the only ones. Specialized has revisited this idea too:
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/specialized-dangler
But they only offer in on their trail bikes.

May 30, 2012, 8:20 a.m.

I believe the bionicon guide has gotten some decent reviews. Pretty sure they cost around $70. From what I understand, that G2 guide will work with your 9 speed stuff. It would be sweet to run the 2X G2 because then you could pull your bashguard off. If I'm not mistaken, those MRP guides run around $180. But they do come with a sticker, and look pimp. I kind of consider the MRP system the best way to go. It's clean looking, and solid, with replacement parts readily available.

May 30, 2012, 9:03 a.m.

Consider this review before you buy the G2: bike radar

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

May 30, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

My current setup (2x9, Gamut P20, front derailleur, bashguard mounted to crank) didn't offer that protection either. In fact I don't remember the last time I lost a chain over the top. Or is the article referring to something else?

May 30, 2012, 9:58 a.m.

I would definitely recommend the C-Guide (http://www.c-guide.org/), installed on recently on my Reign. Seems to be less drag or noise as compared to a Stinger guide, which is actually pretty quiet.

The C-Guide also does an excellent job of eliminating chain slap while keeping the tension more consistent on the chain.

For what it is $70 does seem steep, but it works great, and does exactly what it should.

May 30, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

I'm running the G2 on my Chilcotin and haven't had the problem they mention. (and the stinger wouldn't offer anything more in that manner either)

May 30, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

Not trying to sound like a dink but that review is pretty laughable.

"Does what it’s designed to do very well, but doesn’t address chain loss from up top"

is the first thing I read and I'm thinking well, that's what the front derailleur is for. And then these gems…

"The inner plate that’s designed to keep the chain from falling to the inside of the small ring worked very well too, even with an intentionally mistuned front derailleur" and "we found we still regularly lost the chain from up top".

Really? Maybe I'm way off base, isn't that like doing a review on tubes and saying that even though you usually run 30 psi, you intentionally didn't fill the tire up with enough air and went biking with 9 psi. And then you got a flat, and that you're kind of "annoyed" because you don't think you should get a flat with a brand new tube. If you check the comments section, some guy from MRP politely sends them a SRAM tech document on how to set-up front derailleurs, I laughed out loud when I saw that.
Oh my god…did I just write a review, about a review? I have wayyy too much spare time right now.

May 30, 2012, 11:10 a.m.

Another vote for the MRP G2. I have one on my Dixon and it does all that I need it to. My only complaint is the noise, louder then my Jedi.

May 30, 2012, 11:31 a.m.

What size chainrings are you running Craw? I've got a brand new X0 2x guide (Made by MRP) that's brand new and of no use to me. If you're running a true 2x setup (26+ small ring) then it'll work for your setup.

Just Ride.

May 30, 2012, 11:34 a.m.

What size chainrings are you running Craw? I've got a brand new X0 2x guide (Made by MRP) that's brand new and of no use to me. If you're running a true 2x setup (26+ small ring) then it'll work for your setup.

I'm running a 2x9: 22 and 32. I could go up to a 26 tooth granny.

May 30, 2012, 12:23 p.m.

I'm running a 2x9: 22 and 32. I could go up to a 26 tooth granny.

You're technically running a double (2x setups refer to cranks with 120/80 BCD). If you do move up to a 26t granny and want the X0 let me know, I can hook it up for a good price.

Just Ride.

May 30, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

keep in mind that lots of RD's next year will have a clutch, which makes the lower pulley redundant

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 30, 2012, 5:57 p.m.

I would definitely recommend the C-Guide (http://www.c-guide.org/), installed on recently on my Reign. Seems to be less drag or noise as compared to a Stinger guide, which is actually pretty quiet.

The C-Guide also does an excellent job of eliminating chain slap while keeping the tension more consistent on the chain.

For what it is $70 does seem steep, but it works great, and does exactly what it should.

I have this on my Nomad,and its flawless so far.I switched from the stinger.