Buying old demo/rental bikes?

Aug. 29, 2016, 8:49 p.m.

I was planning on getting a full suspension in the near future, but I'd rather not drop a few grand on a new one. I've heard online of people getting year old bikes for almost half price. Anyone have any experience or know any shops in the lower mainland that sell demo/rental bikes? Figured they might be in better shape compared to a used one?

Aug. 30, 2016, 9:42 a.m.

I was planning on getting a full suspension in the near future, but I'd rather not drop a few grand on a new one. I've heard online of people getting year old bikes for almost half price. Anyone have any experience or know any shops in the lower mainland that sell demo/rental bikes? Figured they might be in better shape compared to a used one?

Call the shops around town and ask then they are selling their rental fleets, should be soon as the end of season is fast approaching and new 2017 models starting to roll in.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

Aug. 30, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

In addition to the local shops around Vancouver, most of the Whistler shops sell off their trail bike rentals as well. The condition of each bike is highly variable, so you'd want to look at what you were getting before purchase. That said, I picked my brother up a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt at the end of last season, from Summit in Whis. The suspension needed service and we added some new rubber. Otherwise, the bike was in exquisite condition. He got it at a fraction of the cost.

Endless Biking also sells off their rental fleet. They're definitely worth checking out as well.

Aug. 30, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

Alright! Thanks a lot for the replies, really helpful :)

Aug. 30, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

I had pretty much talked myself into getting an ex-demo DH bike from the WBP Demo Centre under the assumption they wouldn't be beat on as hard as the cheaper rentals but man, those things have some mileage on them. The guy said they price at approximately 50% of MSRP which seems a bit high.

I do know a guy who bought a top spec Reign from there last season that had only been rented 10 times, now that is a deal.

Aug. 30, 2016, 4:39 p.m.

I had pretty much talked myself into getting an ex-demo DH bike from the WBP Demo Centre under the assumption they wouldn't be beat on as hard as the cheaper rentals but man, those things have some mileage on them. The guy said they price at approximately 50% of MSRP which seems a bit high.

I do know a guy who bought a top spec Reign from there last season that had only been rented 10 times, now that is a deal.

Go to a shop further back, like Evo or Fanatyko

Ed.
Just saw some FB sponsored content that says Evos V10Cs with CK headset/hubs/Chromag bits are $5500

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 31, 2016, 10:45 a.m.

Go to a shop further back, like Evo or Fanatyko

Ed.
Just saw some FB sponsored content that says Evos V10Cs with CK headset/hubs/Chromag bits are $5500

Thanks… may give FanatykCo a call. I know they take off the drivetrain/brakes/components on their rentals since they run Shimano sponsored stuff, so you are really buying a used frame/work/shock. They do rent those out pretty much daily though, I rode one of the Specialized Demos in August one year and it was hammered.

Found a couple potential buys on Pinkbike that appear to be in good shape as well… I figure as a buyer I have a bit more leverage as the park season winds down. Maybe I can find someone leaving the country that is desperate to sell.

Aug. 31, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

Thanks… may give FanatykCo a call. I know they take off the drivetrain/brakes/components on their rentals since they run Shimano sponsored stuff, so you are really buying a used frame/work/shock. They do rent those out pretty much daily though, I rode one of the Specialized Demos in August one year and it was hammered.

Found a couple potential buys on Pinkbike that appear to be in good shape as well… I figure as a buyer I have a bit more leverage as the park season winds down. Maybe I can find someone leaving the country that is desperate to sell.

I bought a Demo 7 from them years ago. Sure it was cheap but it was also pretty much beat to shit. My fault since I bought it unseen and had them ship it up to me.

There's a bunch of 26" DH bikes on the PB buy and sell for cheap. If I was going to roll the dice on a used DH bike again I think I would do it there instead.

Sept. 2, 2016, 2:24 p.m.

I bought a Demo 7 from them years ago. Sure it was cheap but it was also pretty much beat to shit. My fault since I bought it unseen and had them ship it up to me.

There's a bunch of 26" DH bikes on the PB buy and sell for cheap. If I was going to roll the dice on a used DH bike again I think I would do it there instead.

I'm looking at a couple 1-2 year old 650b DH bikes from PB in the next couple weeks. Going to spend a more money this time around but I don't want a beater. I also figure selling on a 26" in 2-3 years when I am done with it will be impossible (to get any value). I figure I'm getting old enough that this is my last couple years to try to improve speed/skill in the bike park so may as well splash out on a nice rig :)

Sept. 2, 2016, 3:04 p.m.

what are you looking for I have 2 26" bikes I am getting rid of as I am going to 29" and less travel .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Sept. 2, 2016, 3:45 p.m.

I bought a Reign 2 from Different's demo / rental fleet last year… It was barely used and served me very well! I'd give them a shout and see if they have anything, I know they try to have a good demo fleet through all their locations.

Sept. 2, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

Might want to check Giant Vancouver too.