Buying a bike from Whistler?

March 19, 2014, 7:29 p.m.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1390974/

It looks like this bike was used to rent out for Whistler Bike Park… anyone think this this would be a good deal? One one hand, I imagine it has more riding on it than most 3 or 4 year old bikes. On the other hand, it would have been maintained well and most people renting bikes wouldn't be riding hard anyways.

I need to get back in the MTB game, but want to find a good deal first. Any advice?

Also looking at this one…
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1418193/

www.gnarwhale.com

March 19, 2014, 9:32 p.m.

Depends what you're looking to ride, and what size frame you need. If you're only going to hit the park the glory could fit the bill. If you need a small frame and are going to pedal up at all, then the faith will be (very slightly) easier.

March 19, 2014, 9:40 p.m.

that dude has had that bike listed at that price for nearly a year on craigslist, fyi…

March 19, 2014, 10:13 p.m.

Yeah those ads have been on the whistler craigslist too some of the ads had some BS about them being team race bikes, it's the 2012 bike park rental. The rental bikes are all over the place as far as condition goes, don't buy without seeing it in person, some were in great shape, others not so much. Also those glorys fit really small so you'd want to hop on it to see

March 20, 2014, 10:36 a.m.

Giant were blowing out those Faiths for not much more than the asking price as they hardly sold. Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing to get excited about either. I'd maybe buy an ex-rental from a shop if it came with a decent warranty, but not a $2k private sale.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 20, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

Giant were blowing out those Faiths for not much more than the asking price as they hardly sold. Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing to get excited about either. I'd maybe buy an ex-rental from a shop if it came with a decent warranty, but not a $2k private sale.

this dude bought up a bunch of them too I think, someone had commented on a whistler mtb buy and sell facebook group about them and he got all defensive about his asking price…

March 20, 2014, 11:04 a.m.

That's a Glory. Glory is the DH bike, Faith was the FR bike. Giant discontinued the Faith because FR is considered a niche market, and Enduro bikes are more saleable as they do a more serviceable job of spanning the spectrum between XC and DH.

But you are correct that before they were discontinued (2012 the last model year?), the Faiths were being firesold and a really good deal.

March 20, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

don't buy without seeing it in person, some were in great shape, others not so much.

and if the guy has multiple, you'll wanna make sure its not the old bait n switch

cranks don't have much rub though. Look at the back of the fork arch too - its pretty tough to get dirt outta there so if its clean that another good indicator

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 20, 2014, 1:56 p.m.

LOTS of choices if your budget is 2G…keep your eyes peeled.
Choice example..I talked to this guy, unfortunately it's a size small or I'd have picked'er up…he swears literally one ride on it!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/kamloops/brandnew-2012-kona-operator-d-h/574604830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Whistler bike guy…$200 handling fee to ship it!? l.o.l.go.suck.a.bag.o….

March 20, 2014, 4:03 p.m.

http://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/1436184/

You should buy that I know him good dude good bike

March 20, 2014, 5:20 p.m.

That's a Glory. Glory is the DH bike, Faith was the FR bike. Giant discontinued the Faith because FR is considered a niche market, and Enduro bikes are more saleable as they do a more serviceable job of spanning the spectrum between XC and DH.

But you are correct that before they were discontinued (2012 the last model year?), the Faiths were being firesold and a really good deal.

Yep I know what both bikes are. I worked at a Giant dealer at the time, and have also ridden both bikes in Whistler.

treezz
wow you are a ass

March 20, 2014, 7:58 p.m.

LOTS of choices if your budget is 2G…keep your eyes peeled.
Choice example..I talked to this guy, unfortunately it's a size small or I'd have picked'er up…he swears literally one ride on it!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/kamloops/brandnew-2012-kona-operator-d-h/574604830?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Whistler bike guy…$200 handling fee to ship it!? l.o.l.go.suck.a.bag.o….

That Kona looks pretty solid too! Interesting news about the Faiths, I didn't realize it was such a niche market these days. Ideally I'm looking for a Freeride/DH bike leading heavily to the DH side, XC capability is not a priority, but I'd like one that can still get some pop off jumps. I've always liked the look of the Glories, so I'll probably try to check out bikes from that sketchy Whistler guy in person as I'm up there lots anyways.

Appreciate all the input guys, I'll be a bit more patient when looking for a good deal.

www.gnarwhale.com

March 20, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

I ride a Faith … its a bit heavy and not the greatest geometry for climbing. But its a fun bike to ride downhill and jump … Kurt Sorge (winner of Red Bull Rampage 2012) did a bunch of video and photo shoots on the 2011 Faith 0

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/245582/

Its 180 mm at the back, about an inch less than a typical DH bike. I've seen them set up with triple clamp forks.

March 21, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

enduro bikes will fill the FR niche eventually. 180mm, burly, under 30 lbs

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40