bummed becuase you frame isn't a taped head tube?

Dec. 1, 2015, 11:26 a.m.

Turns out Cane creek makes a lower headset cup that fits in a straight one and one eighth head tube and allows you to mount a tapered steer tube fork!
Rejoice! Our old frames can still use modern forks!

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Dec. 1, 2015, 11:32 a.m.

Turns out Cane creek makes a lower headset cup that fits in a straight one and one eighth head tube and allows you to mount a tapered steer tube fork!
Rejoice! Our old frames can still use modern forks!

They do? Link please? Interested to see. Cant imagine it will do any favors for the HTA on the older bikes…

Dec. 1, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

that'd require a massive lower cup stack height to pull off. sure it's not referring to the tapered in 44mm straight head tube?

Dec. 1, 2015, 12:07 p.m.

Still bummed.

http://www.canecreek.com/tech-center/headsets/faq

In most cases, yes. However; with the introduction of certain models from Cane Creek, tapered forks can be run in two straight head tubes. The classic 1.5” head tube has an inside diameter (ID) of 49.61mm, with use of our ZS49/28.6 TOP assembly, a tapered fork can be used instead of the straight 1.5” that head tube was intended for. With the EC44/40 Bottom assembly, non tapered 1 1/8” head tubes with a 44mm ID can utilize a tapered fork as well.

Cane Creek was the first headset company to offer a tapered solution for 1-1/8" head-tubes. Called XX-44, this bottom assembly enabled the use of 1-1/8" to 1.5" tapered forks on straight, 44mm head-tubes. This gave consumers more options, and frame designers more flexibility when creating the perfect ride.

Due to the popularity of the design, the EC44/40 (External Cup for 44mm head-tube, 40mm crown race seat) Bottom is now available in both the class-leading 40-Series and the premium 110-Series of headsets. This tapered solution fits 44mm head-tubes only; a "traditional" 1-1/8", 34mm version is not available.

Please note: Nominal insertion bore depth for 44mm head-tubes is 9mm. EC44/40 requires an insertion depth of 15mm. Park Tool Reamer 788 should be used with the supplied spacer to reach the 15mm bore depth for EC44/40 Bottoms.

Dec. 1, 2015, 3:26 p.m.

Shore boy. Most older model frames had steep HT angles. Increasing the stack hight by a quarter inch would be the same as slacking the HT angle.
Thats a good thing in my books.

Dec. 1, 2015, 3:35 p.m.

no, they don't

This tapered solution fits 44mm head-tubes only; a "traditional" 1-1/8", 34mm version is not available.

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 1, 2015, 3:48 p.m.

I got exited when i read that cane creek was the first company to offer a solution for one and one eighth head tubes. Ok sounds like they found a solution for straight head tubes.
Then they say they dont offer a solution for one and an eighth.
In theory if the stack hight was a bit taller the larger diameter bearings would sit outboard from the head tube the tapered part would tuck inside the head tube.
My apologies if i got this wrong.

Dec. 1, 2015, 7:49 p.m.

what boom said. it only works for headtube with 44mm ID, which isn't old 1 1/8" standard. 1 1/8" standard headtube is ec34 and to make that work with tapered steertube… they'll have to make that lower external cup taper out and be couple inches tall

Dec. 1, 2015, 10:24 p.m.

I guess you missed the "before you share it, Google it" thread or in this case before you share it, read it. JK

I'm the best at being modest !

Dec. 2, 2015, 2:38 a.m.

Yeah, but then there is no scintilating discussion. Google it, go to a local bike shop and talk to a mechanic, go to suspensionworx, etc., etc. Then shut down the forum. Actually, that is pretty much what I do. But I don't mind adding a bit to the confusion. There is nothing under the sun better than talking headsets with a disparate group.

I was pretty pissed off when my fork of choice (Totem) stopped making 1.5" steerer tubes. I had to make a tapered steerer work with my 1.5" straight head tube. In this case I was not interested in changing any geometry. Ended up with a Cane Creek combination: 1.5" (38.1mm) bottom, 110 Series, EC49/38.1/H16/x; and a 1.125" (28.6mm) top, internal bearing ZS49/28.6/H8/x. The top choice was to drop the bar height a bit. Works great.

By the way - 110 Series: good for 110 years, solid. My first one rusted out over one winter. But, my second one is as smooth as silk after 3 years. Odd.

As for googling: the Cane Creek website is very helpful for their product.

fall any fall line

Dec. 3, 2015, 3:24 p.m.

Oh come on Cam erase this bloody thread or i will start evil troll speak on the Shore forums.