Bullit's Are they good? ~now with brake jack~

Feb. 27, 2006, 11:08 a.m.

i have a norco 4by and a turner dhr.

with the dhr i can feal the break jack, it does make the rear end tighter. and i have to stay off the breaks more.

we have very similar bikes. I just notice that my Turner is Fking fast as hell. My 04 Enduro SX just likes to jump more..

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 27, 2006, 11:21 a.m.

The lack of a floater isn't any worse, it just allows you brake differently. I think it lets you stay off the brakes more and use them in appropriate situations. I'd rather not have a floater, to be honest.

Feb. 27, 2006, 12:19 p.m.

Fabiens Stab is actually set up with a custom floater to make it squat into turns. So its not free from brake interaction at all.

This is true. But I was using the Stab example since its essentially a single pivot with a floater which is a good example imo for this thread.

Not sure if you've seen the 06 supreme's (stab/stinky same shiat) frames but they have both floater mounts - the high neutral position and the the stock 2005/Fabien set up. The 05's have a neutral option through a clamp.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 27, 2006, 5:46 p.m.

The lack of a floater isn't any worse, it just allows you brake differently. I think it lets you stay off the brakes more and use them in appropriate situations. I'd rather not have a floater, to be honest.

It doesn't allow you to brake differently, it forces you to brake differently. It makes you stay off the brakes more, not let you stay off them more. It limits the situations in which braking is effective.

But each to his own. I ride a FSR Demo 8 and I notice the brake interaction, doesnt bother me tho.

650 Racing: Poppin' our collars, tossin' up dollars.

Feb. 27, 2006, 7:54 p.m.

This is true. But I was using the Stab example since its essentially a single pivot with a floater which is a good example imo for this thread.

Not sure if you've seen the 06 supreme's (stab/stinky same shiat) frames but they have both floater mounts - the high neutral position and the the stock 2005/Fabien set up. The 05's have a neutral option through a clamp.

Really? Thats pretty cool. Probably wouldn't work out well for the majority of riders, though.

Feb. 27, 2006, 8:07 p.m.

Hey, I have a bullit, so here goes.
If you ride more DH stuff like garbanzo and the national DH course at whistler, the gnarly rocky rooty wet stuff that's steep the Devinci is probably better. But, for slopestyle, some dirt jumping, trails, and DH stuff that isn't so steep and bumpy/ all around riding the bullit kills it! Plus you can still ride the gnar on a bullit, but you sacrifice some in the steep stuff because of the brake jack. So it really depends on what kind of rider you are and how you are going to set up the bike. Bullits are pretty light as well. If it were me, I wouldn't do it just because an rc sucks. I think that a lot of the reason the bullit works is because of great shock technology. So if you can hook up a deal on a 5th, a swinger, or a DHX you will have it made. Just make sure his bullit has that little gusset thing in the front, that makes the headtube way stronger. Hope that helps. Bottom line, they are pretty similar frames and right now yours is worth more money. You could sell the Devinci, save up $400.00 for a month or two, and then buy a vp free which solves all your problems. Just a thought.

Feb. 27, 2006, 8:19 p.m.

Well im gonna come to my sences and say that If you are used to the feel of a single pivot and are comfortable with it go for it. That is if it is set up right, im sure it would be fine. If you pro enough to control the brake jack and such you will have a load of fun. Im thinking the reason why I didnt have a good time on the bullit I borrowed is because im used to four bar, Its what ive spent most of my time on besides hardtails.

Feb. 28, 2006, 10:03 a.m.

Well im gonna come to my sences and say that If you are used to the feel of a single pivot and are comfortable with it go for it. That is if it is set up right, im sure it would be fine. If you pro enough to control the brake jack and such you will have a load of fun. Im thinking the reason why I didnt have a good time on the bullit I borrowed is because im used to four bar, Its what ive spent most of my time on besides hardtails.

Common misconception: four bar does not equal free from brake jack/squat. No bike is unless it has a floater.

Feb. 28, 2006, 10:39 a.m.

It doesn't allow you to brake differently, it forces you to brake differently. It makes you stay off the brakes more, not let you stay off them more. It limits the situations in which braking is effective.

But each to his own. I ride a FSR Demo 8 and I notice the brake interaction, doesnt bother me tho.

I'm saying the way you'll brake is better (for racing) without the floater, most of the time. The lack of a floater won't make a shred of difference in your speed, it will just be more comfortable.

Feb. 28, 2006, 5:38 p.m.

I'm saying the way you'll brake is better (for racing) without the floater, most of the time. The lack of a floater won't make a shred of difference in your speed, it will just be more comfortable.

Even so, when you brake, it will be more effective. No?

Feb. 28, 2006, 7:12 p.m.

Probably.

Although you'd be far better off investing in a good rear shock, in my opinion.

Feb. 28, 2006, 7:53 p.m.

Probably.

Although you'd be far better off investing in a good rear shock, in my opinion.

Definitely agree there.

March 1, 2006, 11:09 a.m.

i like bikes.
both bikes are good, no bike is percfect. have fun and go ride.

.:NSTP:.

March 1, 2006, 11:26 a.m.

on the bullit, as with any bike, shock set up is critical! i owned bullits for 3 years, with RCs, and one with a 5th, and i rode other peoples bullits, i rode some that felt like lifeless mushy piles of shit and others that rode like a hardtail with an itchin to buck you off. i spent about 2 days on the trail with a shock pump and an allen key with my 5th, was it worth it, very much so. the end result was a bike that had almost zero bob during pedaling, was supple for small bumps at any speed and was nearly impossible to bottom. set up is cruicial! i never noticed brake jack so much either, i mean, it was there, but once you learn to modulate the rear brake correctly, and put most of your braking on the front brake where it should be it, its very hard to notice.
on that note, the bullit is NOT a DH sled, sure you can set it up that way, but its not as efficient as other bikes out there, but if you want something that doesnt weigh as much as a volkswagen, and feels lively and doesnt mind uphill and jumps, its the way to go

March 1, 2006, 11:42 a.m.

i like bikes.
both bikes are good, no bike is percfect. have fun and go ride.

wrong…my bike's better than your bike, even if it is the same as mine…there is nothing wrong w/ my bike, and if I ride it it might brake…Jack :devil:

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons