Bullit's Are they good? ~now with brake jack~

Feb. 22, 2006, 7:21 p.m.

All right, I am glad that I asked. I would indeed need to switch wheelsets, and his set is 26" front and 24" rear. So I would have to get the rear rebuilt, and I don't have the cash for that. Also I am running a Boxxer right now, that I have been tuning up, and I really like it.

Thanks for the advice guys, you confirmed what I was thinking, I'll keep holding out for a better deal. :beer:

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Feb. 22, 2006, 7:29 p.m.

seriously dantes infernos bullit is the shit. if you road it and said the things ur saying the only conclusion is you dont like nice bikes and can stick to riding your ccms. it was pretty much like sex. the bullit was probably mad for letting jake give me a free ride. i would do anything for that bike, that being said i havent ridin a huge number or bikes but it blew the pants off all the norcos ive ridden. and i only count on the ones ive ridden down trails.

Feb. 22, 2006, 7:29 p.m.

holy crap thats my problem ive only ridden norcos!

Feb. 22, 2006, 7:38 p.m.

holy crap thats my problem ive only ridden norcos!

you need to try my norco. maby next weekend.

Feb. 22, 2006, 9:55 p.m.

Don't do it Justin. Just spend money on lightening up your Devinci if you can.

Feb. 22, 2006, 11:06 p.m.

last time I rode a bullit it had brakejack to the max, was un-manualable and was really really tall and long and really really bad pedal bob(it had a 5th set up for a rider my weight). It would be fun for big gaps and stunts but for climbing and dh it was horrid.

I have to agree with Dante, you don't know what you're talking about.

The bullit has short 17" chainstays and a very tight wheelbase (42" on a medium which is about the shortest you'll find on any 5"+ dually). If anything I wish my bullit was longer.
I think it manuals just fine for a big travel bike. Obviously the softer set-up you run the worse.
I'll admit that the standover isn't the greatest in the large and extra large size (Small and med. are fine) but the BB height it quite normal.
And if the bike was bobbing lots I'd say it wasn't set-up for your weight (and/or pedalling style).

That said the trade still makes no sense for you Justin. As others have already said you're going to have to change so much of your bike for a frame that isn't really that much different.

Feb. 23, 2006, 7:04 a.m.

^ I guess all i can say then is my bike rides alot better than it then which is a suprize to me. It was set up for his weight, he weighs like 10 pounds less than me, unless he was lying that he had it set up right. All I know is if I took all the parts he had and put them on my frame it would have been 10x more fun.

Feb. 23, 2006, 7:39 a.m.

They must be. I rode them for four years (a 2001 with RC and a 2003 with 5th)…but I like the VPFree (with DHX5) that I ride now waaaaaaaay more!

Feb. 23, 2006, 8:59 a.m.

^ I guess all i can say then is my bike rides alot better than it then which is a suprize to me. It was set up for his weight, he weighs like 10 pounds less than me, unless he was lying that he had it set up right. All I know is if I took all the parts he had and put them on my frame it would have been 10x more fun.

Dude, you claim it was set up right. IT WASNT. Simple. And I still claim you dont know what your talking about and giving bad advice because the bullit isnt a huge long tall bike like you already claimed. Mine is set up pretty slack and it is quit snappy.

Feb. 23, 2006, 2:45 p.m.

While I am not an authority on bikes and know far less than most of you, I sure like my 03 Bullit. I was in Fernie last year and had a chance to swap for an o3 Shore for a run and liked the feel of my Bullit much more. While the Shore felt "softer?" my Bullit felt way more responsive. Mind you my Bullit is finely spec'd and the Shore was stock. I did notice brake jack but wasn't too concerned as i am not a DH type of rider.

My Bullit

03 frame/5th
03 Super T
Deemax/Nevegal
Juicy 5's
Full XO
Holzfeller cranks
A-frame pedals
King Headset

etc…etc…etc

Life Part 2

Feb. 23, 2006, 3:29 p.m.

i am not a fan of SC…but i think the bullit is a fantastic bike…i know a lot of people with them and they have put their bikes through the ringer…the bullit can climb, corner, jump, dh, and crash with the best of them. Now, I would not own one, but I have ot say that the praises coming in about the bullits are def accurate.

is it worth the trade? nope…too many things to buy if you make that trade…you love your bike, yes? just work on the part spec and continue to love it :)

dear DW,
since you got like a million bucks now, can i borrow $2850 for a Revolt frame?

thanks,
steve

Feb. 23, 2006, 3:46 p.m.

You won't feel brake jack if you're not on your brakes in a turn. Single
pivot served Peat and Cedric for years. We'll see this year if the v10
makes a diff in his riding.

The Bullit's nice, no doubt much better w/ dhx5, way less bob, more
plush, soaks up hits better. Although I do want a demo 8 reeeeeal bad haha!

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 23, 2006, 5:02 p.m.

the bullit is a really versatile bike.

That says it all!

I kinda viewed my bullitts like the Honda Accords/Toyota Camrys of the bike world…you know not the sexiest on the block BUT reliable as hell, versatile and they held their value for resale.

The non-single pivot bikes may be "Ferraris or Lamborghinis" in comparison…but we all know that those cars seem to spend probably 90% of the time in the shop being repaired and "tweaked".
Depends on what u want I guess: riding time vs shop time:-)

Feb. 23, 2006, 5:19 p.m.

^ I preffer like a toyota truck, since I cringe at the tought of taking an
accord or camary off road :lol:
Hey, I got two, one w/ a 888 and the other w/ a z1 DH and XC, what more
could a guy want?

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 23, 2006, 5:24 p.m.

You won't feel brake jack if you're not on your brakes in a turn. Single
pivot served Peat and Cedric for years. We'll see this year if the v10
makes a diff in his riding.

The Bullit's nice, no doubt much better w/ dhx5, way less bob, more
plush, soaks up hits better. Although I do want a demo 8 reeeeeal bad haha!

I have to disagree.

You'll feel brake jack by braking in rough tech section, you'll feel it braking before a rough bumpy corner, you'll feel it braking down rough rocky section. Once you start braking the suspension stiffens up, which make the ride rough and makes you want to slow down even more, causing the suspension to stiffen more. Some people, generally the better riders, don't feel it at all or it doesn't really bother them. That's mostly because they are off the brakes alot more and let the suspension do its job. Slower more tentative riders with notice it more, but probably don't realize it until they hop on a non single pivot bike and feel the difference. That's how it worked for me. I never new what brake jack was until I bought an FSR bike and noticed the lack of it.

Of course that's just my opinion.

Cedric and Peaty will win no matter what they ride. The reason they're winning on single pivots is because those companies were the ones willing to buck up the sponsorship $$

The Bullit is an awesome bike. It can be set up for whatever purpose it's needed for. Trailbike to hucker, it can handle pretty much whatever you want to build it up as. Is it the best for everything, probably not. But if you're going to have just one bike, it's definitely a good option.

That being said, when I went from my Bullit to my Norco, I found the Norco did everything a bit better, but it was definitely a heavier package. I'm not going back any time soon.