Build up for a stiffee

Aug. 4, 2006, 6:58 a.m.

Any advice on components/fork for a cove stiffee for all round trail riding, nothing too burly but definetly not a XC wippet. Im thinking about XT brakes and Gear, Race Face Evolve components and a RockShock Reacon Poploc U-turn fork, Ive already got wheels and a saddle. Any advice/changes to that would be apreciated

j

Aug. 4, 2006, 9:16 a.m.

alll around trail riding….well, as for drivetrain, i'd actually have to say go sram for sure, X.9 with X.7 triggers works great, the X.9 triggers aren't necessary. XT brakes are very nice though, you'll want to stick with those unless you decide to go magura louise or avid juicy. RF evolve stuff is decent, nothing spectacular, but it works. if you can get a hold of some shimano hone cranks, get them right away. XT cranks will definately work for you too, they're really strong. for the bars and stem, if you want evolve go for it, i'm not sure what your budget is for that stuff, but there are definately better choices like an answer protaper on a thomson stem if you really have the cash. easton ea70 bars are light and stiff and easy on the wallet too, and you could pick up one of the havoc all mountain stems to match. the recon is an ok fork, i'd definately recommend something different. the rockshox pike is much more versatile and still somewhat light, about 4.9 lbs for the U-turn version of the 426, which puts it lighter still than the fox 36. if you can get a 36 talas though….mmmm. hope that helped.

Aug. 4, 2006, 12:27 p.m.

i'm building the same thing right now, and i wanted a pike mostly for the easy-do 20mm axle, lightweight and the U-turn.
also went XT, mostly for the reverse spring on the RD.
Juicy brakes - because they're RAD.
Hone cranks - saint's little bro.
hubs - see my other thread.
rims - Mavic XM321 have great reviews.
bar, stem post, saddle, etc - good place to save some $ now and upgrade later as you see fit.

Chirp

Aug. 4, 2006, 12:36 p.m.

You bastard! HAHHAHAHA sick an urban commuter?!??!?!

Nice man… we gots to ride a wee bit mor urban… and you aren't planning on taking that on the shore are you?

www.steedcycles.com

Aug. 4, 2006, 12:41 p.m.

not too keen on the pikes as I have a decent set of wheels already with QR ready hubs and cant be bothered with the hassel/cost of a rebuild and a new hub. But am looking into getting SRAM gears, Im pretty set on the race face stuff as with the frame you can get a kit which is all race face for the same price as the cranks retail, which is nice