Budget Dropper Posts?

June 13, 2017, 10:40 p.m.

The basic Xfusion hilo that came on my rocky was a boat anchor, but I already have a HiLO strate which was way lighter, so I swapped it in. Unfortunately it requires special tools to service, but I have been able to get away with one yearly service. I hear the new XFusion will feature a replaceable cartridge for servicing. I also have XFusion suspension and have liked their products overall.

June 14, 2017, 6:23 p.m.

150mm version of the Manic available in July according to PB. 

I wish posts had internally adjustable travel similar to forks.  150mm is just a hair too much for my bike, whish I could make it max out at 140.

June 15, 2017, 10:27 a.m.

Posted by: Ninjatarian

I wish posts had internally adjustable travel similar to forks.  150mm is just a hair too much for my bike, whish I could make it max out at 140.

Same (re: adjustable). I think 9point8 is the only one that has that feature, but it's $$$.

June 15, 2017, 11:22 a.m.

I've thought about this too. I wonder if we'll look back on 2017 and laugh about having dropper posts that aren't internally adjustable.

June 15, 2017, 7:43 p.m.

Are you guys with Giant droppers occasionally servicing them by unscrewing the wiper collar and cleaning/lubing underneath it?

June 16, 2017, 1:32 a.m.

Posted by: D-Type

I've thought about this too. I wonder if we'll look back on 2017 and laugh about having dropper posts that aren't internally adjustable.

I'm more wishing we could all have droppers that traveled our entire saddle height (IE at 0 travel the seatclamp would be against the seatpost clamp)...

June 16, 2017, 10:13 a.m.

Well, integrated dropper posts are already a thing but have yet to really take off.  

I think the struggle for me with going over 150mm of drop is that seat angle.  At full lowered it's too pitched forward and at full extended it's too pitched up.  Allegedly Specialized is working on a solution for that which is the reason for the oversized seat tube in the new Enduro.

June 18, 2017, 4:33 p.m.

Well, integrated dropper posts are already a thing but have yet to really take off.  

I think the struggle for me with going over 150mm of drop is that seat angle.  At full lowered it's too pitched forward and at full extended it's too pitched up.  Allegedly Specialized is working on a solution for that which is the reason for the oversized seat tube in the new Enduro.

Fair - would be nice to have a sealed and removable solution though...

I'm not sure that's a problem though - how often do you sit down when your saddle is fully dropped?

June 19, 2017, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: brianl

Are you guys with Giant droppers occasionally servicing them by unscrewing the wiper collar and cleaning/lubing underneath it?

I do. But you can't really get the muck out. It feels like I'm paibting over rust. Look and feel better, but the damage is there.

June 19, 2017, 10:19 p.m.

My partner road a giant dropper on her 2014 trance for three seasons. Never serviced, worked like a charm and sold the bike this spring (the black stanchion one). My friend had the older version with a gold stanchion and it wore out. Some people clamp their post too tight and damage their droppers. I did it with my first X fusion and didn't make the same mistake twice. My partner got a new trance this year with another giant dropper and I hope it holds up as good as the old one. I like the performance of my Xfusion better but it does need more frequent service.

June 24, 2017, 8:46 a.m.

Has anyone tried the Magura Vyron post?  Normally it's an expensive post, but I think because of its electric quirkiness it isn't super popular which drops the price.

June 24, 2017, 8:34 p.m.

Has anyone tried the Magura Vyron post?  Normally it's an expensive post, but I think because of its electric quirkiness it isn't super popular which drops the price.

Yes.   I have one.  Only got it as I'm a shop owner.   Couldn't really recommend it as a mainstream option.   Actuation is slow and the remote frankly sucks.    There is a fix for the remote in the works.

June 24, 2017, 9:17 p.m.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Is it the remote that makes you not able to recommend it? i.e., when they fix the remote will it be an alright post? </span>

June 25, 2017, 6:46 a.m.

<span style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Is it the remote that makes you not able to recommend it? i.e., when they fix the remote will it be an alright post? </span>

No, its more than the remote... there is a considerable delay between actuating the remote and the post moving...  its fine if you are riding a trail that you know well and can anticipate saddle position ahead of time, but this isn't how a good dropper should work.    I think Magura were premature with the release of the Vyron...