Bronson sizing question

May 14, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

Im 6'1" and just demoed a large Bronson. according to Santa Cruz sizing chart I'm right in the middle of a large and extra-large just wondering what you guys who are a similar height are running. Most of my riding is in the shore.

Thanks

May 14, 2016, 11:54 p.m.

Ug I hate being in between sizes. Measure your wingspan and also asess your torso length vs leg length.

These factors should sway your decision.

May 15, 2016, 8:17 a.m.

I sized up because I have long arms and legs but that's for the old Bronson and my height on their chart was on the size boundary between small and medium. I would probably still be medium for the new Bronson.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 15, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

@smegolas

Measure your current bike for these measurements:

seat (the point directly above the centre line of the seat post with the dropper extended) to centre of handle bar in the stem.

centre of bottom bracket to the centre of the end of grip (with stem pointing straight ahead).

end of grip (centre) to the floor (direct right angle) again with stem pointing stright ahead.

These dimensions essentially do not change across similar style bikes. Across 20 years of competing at WC level Steve Peat's grip to floor measurement has changed less than 10mm even with all the changes to frame geometry, stem length, suspension travel and bar width.

This is the fit that you want or need to be comfortable on a bike (ie ride for hours or ride well).

If there is anything lacking on your current bike ie you would like the reach to be a little longer then factor this into your calculation when comparing the Bronson.

Get as close as possible factoring the size stem you think you will be using/ want to use.

Short answer is if the Large Bronson is close to your current fit or the additional reach you are trying to achieve then there is no need to size up. If you can only get the dimensions you want by running a 70 mm or longer stem (or worse, being tempted to slide your seat back on the rails (worst set up mistake ever)) then perhaps you will be missing the point of the modern frame/ geometry and should look at the extra-large.

For example a friend has a Bronson V2 and a Nomad and he is running a 50mm stem on the Nomad and a 40mm stem on the Bronson (both size large and he is 5'10").

If you PM me your current bike frame and size I can work it out for you if this does not make sense.

Everyday on a bicycle is a good day!!

May 15, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

I'm a tweener too at almost 6'2 with a 6'3 reach. I owned the old Bronson in XL and rode the new one in Large for a week. For my own personal preference I would probably get an XL with a short stem. I find the xl more comfortable climbing and descending at speed feels more like I am part of the bike rather than hanging on or diving over the handle bars.

For the record and for measurements sake, I'm on an evil insurgent now and went with the recco'd Large frame and still feel like I could have sized up to an XL

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

May 15, 2016, 9:10 p.m.

Dang Skipro, nice post.

I sized up on my last bike. Longer=faster. Faster up, faster down.
But predictably, much harder to pick out tight lines and maneuver.
Longer cockpit- more comfortable on climbs. And saddle forward.
Longer wheelbase- more control at wide open speeds on descents.
If Strava times matter, then long I say.

However If precise lines and slow speed maneuverability are a priority the longer bike will constantly be in the way. I notice it.

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

May 16, 2016, 9:44 p.m.

I just measured my inseam at 32" and my wingspan is 5'11.5". I believe that means somehow both my arms and legs are are slightly shorter than average for my height. My actual height is just a tad under 6'1".

Not sure of that helps.

May 16, 2016, 11:19 p.m.

Im 6'1" and just demoed a large Bronson.

how did it feel?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

May 17, 2016, 6:48 a.m.

how did it feel?

My first thought was it felt a little short. I seemed to be sitting on the back end of the seat. Shorter cockpit than I'm used to. But I'm riding an older bike with a longer stem now. I sure the thinking on geometry had changed a lot in the past six years. However during the ride it seemed fine.

May 17, 2016, 8 a.m.

The new SCs all feel short to me (6'4" + long arms) and even an XL wasn't right for me. If you're pushing back on the saddle and feeling cramped I'd go XL. After so many years of trying to make trail bikes fit like BMX bikes people are definitely recognizing some wheelbase and stretch are a good thing.

Anyone else notice that SC makes XXL V10s for it's pro DH riders?