Bronson 2019

July 9, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

Hey all,

Just to start - I know than only about 0.0001% of the forum population has actually spent a lick of time on this rig right now, but thought I'd throw this out there for debate.

I'm on a 2017 Slayer right now. It's dialed, its fun, and it rips - but I really should have sized up to XL. I was looking at a XL Nomad mk4 frame for sale that I would swap the Slayer out for to get that extra length/reach. Got out and demoed an XL Nomad this weekend and it was phenomenal, although I imagine it was mostly being on the correct size of bike that did it when compared to my Slayer.

Then SC releases this new Bronson. I'd been looking at actually dropping down to a 150/150 platform (Altitude or other) anyways for a bit more pep on the more laid back/pedally trails. I mostly ride the Shore/Squamish, but end up on mellower trails on other trips (Hornby, Bend, Sedona, etc.). I've been pretty hesitant to drop the travel though as there's something plain awesome about the Slayer with it's pedaling efficiency and appetite for destruction - just a fun bike. However if I honestly assess how often I'm getting really "gnar" at speed and how often I end up in the WBP vs. the valley trails, I'd probably be better suited to a Bronson-type rig. 

Based on the first ride reviews, if I went with an XL Bronson I'd be looking at a more playful Nomad. This sounds right up my alley. Now that I have the background out of the way, someone tell me I'm stupid for looking to change, or tell me if I'll miss that extra 20mm (the Nomad was much more playful than I thought, and rode like a lower-travel bike than I expected).

Other than that, here's my thinking:

I'm looking at the S/Carbon C/ non-plus Bronson at $6899 MSRP. I'd swap the wheels out for my current weareone Agents. There's a HUGE price jump even without adding SC's carbon wheels from the S/ Carbon C build to the next level at the X01/ Carbon CC at $9249 MSRP. I'm not worried about the 200g or whatever it is to go from Carbon C to Carbon CC. So the question is, is it worth $2.3k to get X01 (vs. GX), better brakes, the Performance Elite vs. Performance Fox 36, and the Super Deluxe RCT vs R?

I'm mostly concerned about losing the ability to lock out the rear if I went with the lower build. But then, I didn't reach down to touch that compression lever on the Nomad at all this weekend... I'd imagine I wouldn't need to worry about losing that ability on a Bronson? No clue. The single review I read online between GX and X01 mentioned it mostly came down to a difference in weight.

Cheers all, would love to hear some thoughts!

July 9, 2018, 3:24 p.m.

Why not buy a frame only and swap the parts on from your slayer. You could drop the fork to 150 and call it a day.

July 9, 2018, 4:51 p.m.

That was also an option - but the frame only comes in CarbonCC ($4500)  or Alu ($2800) options. I'm willing to pay the extra $ for a Carbon C with brand new components at this point... But throwing down 5k for a CC frame and new bb (minor cost I know) seems a bit wild. Unless anyone's looking for a used but well maintained Slayer frame in large...

July 9, 2018, 10:33 p.m.

I demoed the v2 Bronson. My wife has the v1. I now own an evil insurgent. I rode comfortably numb in whistler on the Bronson - it climbed amazingly. Transfer of power was great. Never locked it out as it didn't rob me of any energy and having the suspension active makes technical climbing easier. I wouldn't miss the lock out. That being said, if I were spending that much on a new rig, I'd probably spring for the better parts. You only live once, right?

To add to your quandary, I like my evil better. It climbs pretty good but descends like a mofo. Eats up crud like crazy. I figured if I was going for a 150/150 rig, I might as well go for something that feels "bigger." food for thought.

July 9, 2018, 11:54 p.m.

No matter what you do - get the Fox Performance Elite or Factory and NOT the „plain“ performance.

Or if you do, factor in the cost of the possible upgrade to the better damper cartridges of the Elite or Factory line.

I’ve spent time on the different cartridges and the RC2 and FIT4 are much better than the budget GRIP stuff. More support, less wallow, but they open up when needed. Big, noticeable difference. 

I haven’t ridden the new GRIP2 - which ironically is their premium cartridge for 2019. It is supposed to be even better,

I really love how the now „old“ style Bronson V2 rides. Maybe you could snag an XL frame for a great price?

July 10, 2018, 5:52 a.m.

I have a 2017 "v2" and I would say versatile is probably the word that describes it best. When I lived in delay and ride a mix of shore, Galbraith, watershed, Burke, and Valley trails it really did everything so well. 

I kinda have the opposite issue to you now - I moved to north van and ride Seymour almost daily, and now alternate from shore, squamish, Whistler. So now I wish I had a tiny bit bigger bike. It's a shame your slayer is an L as I'd probably have the same problem with it being too short (my Bronson is an xl) ornid probably would have been tempted to do a frame swap. Lol. 

But I agree you might want to be on the look out for deals on v2's right now. They will be. Healer obviously, are 1.5lbs lighter than the new ones, and will still shred all but the gnarliest of trails.

July 10, 2018, 10:31 a.m.

Bronson V3 looks to be spot on. (Let's hope the HTLT update is this style)  Since it's using a metric piece of shit rear shock; factor in NOT being able to get a replacement.  Lockouts do nothing for myself; ymmv.

July 23, 2018, 2:45 p.m.

Not a direct comparison, but I ride a 2018 5010c and it's great.

I'd like a better rear shock for big hits. It's not that it bottoms out but it gets close. Another shock complaint that took me a few real rides to work out is as follows. It doesn't handle chatter (eroded roots for example) at high speed like I'd like. This actually isn't really that big a problem, but then when I try to ride the bike like a hard tail and pop off the roots to get through them, the suspension makes the platform feel a bit soft.

I feel like this is due to the base level shock and a better shock would transform the bike, but I've heard this can be an issue for VPP. I think they adjusted the leverage ratio to cope with his exact kind of stuff for 2019.

Lock out is unnecessary unless climbing fireroads or similar. The compression damping works fine for this. 

Mind you (again) I am coming from 20 years on a hard tail.

Overall the bike is 8-9/10 for me. I feel a better shock would transform it to perfect 10.

Last edited by: Doomstep on July 23, 2018, 2:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.