broken rear hub axle

June 7, 2020, 11:25 a.m.

Yep, the axle wasn't fully tightened (all threads weren't engaged) and it snapped.

Try to see if you can get a replacement from a shop and take a good look at the engagement threads on the frame to make sure they aren't compromised.

June 7, 2020, 10:09 p.m.

I have seen it happen on an E13 hub. The way it was machined created a stress riser. I think they changed the axle design since then.

June 8, 2020, 10:16 a.m.

I've done it a few times. Twice due to crappy design + aggressive hackery (old Chris King design that was updated long ago, and some OEM branded hub). Other times it was due to frame axle coming loose, which will kill a hub in short order. Add on bent cheapo hub axles, and I could add a few more to the list.

There's no bike part that can't break given enough abuse, time or neglect. I've killed every single bike part in various ways over the years.

June 10, 2020, 6:59 p.m.

Yup cased a jump that was rock lipped. Hit on a angle , crushed one side of the rim . Noticed the axle was broken. When I removed the wheel. Fought to get the wheel out. And the cog set fell off the wheel once I did. My stuff is Tairin . Contacted them and had a new axle in less than a day.

June 11, 2020, 1:31 p.m.

i've done it on a Sram hub. Broke the hub axle, frame 12mm thru axle was fine. couldnt figure our where the weird rubbing noise was coming from as the wheel was on tight. But i also killed the freehub on the same hub at a different time .. i chalked it up to a shite hub.

on a hope pro 2 i broke everything but the hub axle... bearings, 2 of the 6 disc bolt holes, cracked freehubs, broken pawls....

June 11, 2020, 9:25 p.m.

There might be someone out there who hasn't done it on a Stans hub.