Brand new pivot bearings - pack with grease?

Feb. 9, 2017, 8:54 p.m.

They arent all that expensive. New can be had in the $100-$150 range, but price varies with size and power. Sometime if you are lucky you can find one on CL that was lab or industry based and has lots of power for cleaning. The one I bought is more powerful than a 'jewelry' cleaner, but definitely not as powerful as some of the bigger ones.

the one in the vid is roughly the same size as what my buddy had and his was $2K+

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 9, 2017, 9:04 p.m.

Oscillating applications will prevent the balls from fully rotating around the inner/outer race. The balls do not stop moving when the direction of rotation changes.

add in the pounding of the bike over the terrain and such and stuff will move around they are designed to

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 9, 2017, 9:25 p.m.

after the varsol, or initial solvent degreaser, what's the next chemical cleaner to remove the first one? how many rinses n baths before you get down to the final MEK super high volatility squeaky clean leave no residue to contaminate the new stuff end rinse?

Feb. 9, 2017, 11:29 p.m.

after the varsol, or initial solvent degreaser, what's the next chemical cleaner to remove the first one? how many rinses n baths before you get down to the final MEK super high volatility squeaky clean leave no residue to contaminate the new stuff end rinse?

:nerd::nerd::nerd:

air dry baby

Feb. 10, 2017, 8:54 a.m.

Im a fan of a liberal spray down with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) followed by air drying. The IPA is volatile and will evaporate quickly.

Feb. 10, 2017, 8:58 a.m.

Our ultrasonic cleaners in our facility use varsol. Works a treat!

Varsol will definitely work better than hot water plus cleaning agent. I dont want to deal with the Varsol waste and smell. Additionally, some sonicators are not designed for use with strong solvents. Most wash stations like the one seen in the video use varsol and a pump for parts cleaning.

Feb. 10, 2017, 9:16 a.m.

What size did you get? What size would you get if you did it all over again?

This is the one I ended up getting. At the time I think it was $99.

http://www.angelpos.ca/25L-160W-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-with-Heater-Digital-Timer_p_13.html

It big enough to fit a cassette in, but nothing much wider than that. I put chainrings in one side at a time if they are too big to fit. More powerful would obviously be better, but that comes at a cost of size, space and $$$.
This one sits on the corner of my work bench, and will happily sonicate away on parts I throw into it while I do other work on my bike. Since I use water/detergent, I have to make sure to dry/lube everything well to ensure things dont rust once they dry out.

Feb. 10, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

damn they got cheap might have to get one

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 10, 2017, 6:19 p.m.

Harbour Freight usually has their ultrasonic cleaners go on sale pretty often and end up being pretty cheap. Seems they are on sale right now, although I think I've seen them go on sale for cheaper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

Feb. 10, 2017, 6:41 p.m.

I did see an ultrasonic cleaner in use once. That mechanic stuck an old steel shit bike rear derailleur in it. All brown with that gunk that will not come off. Almost like a brown stain. Derailleur came out in minute gleaming like new. Scratched worn and beat up but gleaming. I have wanted one since but can't really justify it.

In a similar vein I tried greasing a hunk of chain the other day and using my heat gun to liquefy the grease to get it to flow into where you need lubricant. I was wondering how manufacturers get that factory grease in there in the first instance. Are the parts assembled already greased or are chains dunked in hot grease. Will heating grease like I did do something negative to the grease? I may try this later this year once the two meters of valley snow melts just to see what happens.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 10, 2017, 6:48 p.m.

If you can justify a few beers out with friends, this is in the realm of two nights out now. If you factor in any sort of time spent cleaning out bearings/chainrings/cassettes, I suspect it will pay for itself in an application or two.

I just ordered one from Amazon. Went for a more industrial looking model just cuz. Will report back.

Feb. 10, 2017, 9:42 p.m.

If you can justify a few beers out with friends, this is in the realm of two nights out now. If you factor in any sort of time spent cleaning out bearings/chainrings/cassettes, I suspect it will pay for itself in an application or two.

I just ordered one from Amazon. Went for a more industrial looking model just cuz. Will report back.

the one posted in one of the links was from Burnaby , once I get back working again I want the 6L model for my shop

#northsidetrailbuilders