Brand new pivot bearings - pack with grease?

Feb. 8, 2017, 2:19 p.m.

Jesus. That video makes me look like the guy who does abortions with a coat hanger in a back alley.

I do want that sink though.

Feb. 8, 2017, 6:50 p.m.

Great. Now I need a shop oven and a ultrasonic cleaner not to mention enough chemicals to excite the interest of the local constabulary. I think I'll just keep to my usual rinse out with solvent, blow dry and stuff with that insipid green Motorex grease. It looks nucular.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Feb. 8, 2017, 10:12 p.m.

here's a good video on how to clean and relube your bearings. i can see doing this every six months on all pivot bearings for max life. as a bonus the background song is that great song from that cool band…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97xYjQSTCow

Whoa, I've been doing it all wrong.

Feb. 9, 2017, 6:18 a.m.

I'm with Oldfart.To do my bearings properly I would need to borrow my nieghbours meth lab.

Feb. 9, 2017, 8:49 a.m.

Hmm, actually my wife has an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner thingamajig, my Pop's old parts cleaner still works, and I bet the oven in the kitchen would work fine…

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Feb. 9, 2017, 9:06 a.m.

Nice.

I didn't know this was a thing.. weird they have a picture of a necklace in this instead of bearings…

https://www.amazon.ca/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglasses-Instruments/dp/B001DKDAVW

Feb. 9, 2017, 10:34 a.m.

if they are working properly they should fully rotating around the bearing as the suspension cycles up and down .

Oscillating applications will prevent the balls from fully rotating around the inner/outer race. The balls do not stop moving when the direction of rotation changes.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Feb. 9, 2017, 11:58 a.m.

Hmm, actually my wife has an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner thingamajig, my Pop's old parts cleaner still works, and I bet the oven in the kitchen would work fine…

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for parts. Works well to loosen the grime and clean small parts. Parts washer would be nice, but the solvents are nasty and a pain to deal with. There is that 'green' parts washer I saw a few years back, but it was pricey.
I dont usually throw my bearings in the ultrasonic cleaner, as they aren't normally that dirty. I blast them out with WD-40 then soak them in IPA for a while to make sure all the grunge is out. Air dry or quick dry with air hose (making sure not to spin them too high an rpm). Make sure they are smooth and clean before, packing with grease of choice (currently using Rock N' Roll web grease). Done.

Feb. 9, 2017, 12:04 p.m.

a video from Artscyclery shows the mechanic taking off the rear triangle then using a needle nosed pliers (closed) to rotate the bearings around. says they can get stuck due to so little rotation. well my my, hasn't the last week just been a massive edumacation on all things bearings and grease. the amt of videos and bike websites (roadies analyze bb bearings and grease and wheel bearings ad nauseum) out there is amazing. i'm a fucking closet engineer by now.

Feb. 9, 2017, 1:20 p.m.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner for parts

What do you use as a cleaner for bike parts (from dirt to grease) with it?

Feb. 9, 2017, 1:26 p.m.

What do you use as a cleaner for bike parts (from dirt to grease) with it?

Some dilute dishwashing detergent or diluted orange cleaner in warm/hot water.
Leave it on for an 8 min cycle, repeat if necessary. It doesnt do as good a job as the solvents in a parts washer, but it definitely loosens everything up such that a gently rubbing or scrub with brush makes it come off easily. Great for chains, and cassettes.

Feb. 9, 2017, 2:31 p.m.

ultra sonic cleaner would be the bomb , a buddy had one in his machine shop , washed all his finished parts in it , was amazed at the shine on a cleaned part and uncleaned part .

seen a redneck version , crock pot with a palm sander tapped to the side , they warmed the cleaning solution up and turned on the sander to agitate the crock pot .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Feb. 9, 2017, 3:36 p.m.

ultra sonic cleaner would be the bomb , a buddy had one in his machine shop , washed all his finished parts in it , was amazed at the shine on a cleaned part and uncleaned part .

seen a redneck version , crock pot with a palm sander tapped to the side , they warmed the cleaning solution up and turned on the sander to agitate the crock pot .

They arent all that expensive. New can be had in the $100-$150 range, but price varies with size and power. Sometime if you are lucky you can find one on CL that was lab or industry based and has lots of power for cleaning. The one I bought is more powerful than a 'jewelry' cleaner, but definitely not as powerful as some of the bigger ones.

Feb. 9, 2017, 4:06 p.m.

What size did you get? What size would you get if you did it all over again?

Feb. 9, 2017, 8:20 p.m.

Some dilute dishwashing detergent or diluted orange cleaner in warm/hot water.
Leave it on for an 8 min cycle, repeat if necessary. It doesnt do as good a job as the solvents in a parts washer, but it definitely loosens everything up such that a gently rubbing or scrub with brush makes it come off easily. Great for chains, and cassettes.

Our ultrasonic cleaners in our facility use varsol. Works a treat!