Brakes for your Enduro bike

May 25, 2018, 12:06 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Jenson has Zee's on sale for $125 USD per end. There are no rotors at that price but they have rotors on sale as well so you could put together a set for $200 CDN depending on rotor choice.

This is what I am leaning towards. Might even buy a bleed kit and try to shorten the brake lines myself (I suck at bike maintenance type stuff)... I watched a video on Youtube and it looks doable. Although everything always ends up being harder than it looks in the video.

May 25, 2018, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-zee-disc-brake-br-m640-b-set-with-d01s-resin-86999 - $240CAD + shipping for calipers and levers. That's where I got my set years ago for a bit less.

How is Bike-discount for shipping and customs issues? I've had good experiences with JensionUSA in the past so I'm tempted to just go with them even though it's more expensive. They have 3 day shipping + no extra customs charges. Super simple.

May 25, 2018, 1:04 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: grambo

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-zee-disc-brake-br-m640-b-set-with-d01s-resin-86999 - $240CAD + shipping for calipers and levers. That's where I got my set years ago for a bit less.

How is Bike-discount for shipping and customs issues? I've had good experiences with JensionUSA in the past so I'm tempted to just go with them even though it's more expensive. They have 3 day shipping + no extra customs charges. Super simple.

I usually order tires from them (in bulk 6-8 a time) and have had no issues with shipping or customs.  They usually charge a flat rate for shipping (20ish euros), so add some tires to your brakes to get your moneys worth!  Taxes (GST) are hit or miss, sometimes you pay it, sometimes you dont.

May 26, 2018, 10:23 a.m.

I have guide RSC on my Bronson and saint on my chromag. 

I love the power of the saints. Some people call them grabby, I call them solid. 

The RSC's are just ok. My advice with guides is run the biggest rotor you can.

May 26, 2018, 11:19 a.m.

I have a set of Tech 3 E4's with 203 rotors on my ti honzo. I have a set of guide rsc that used to be on my honzo and are now on my Surly rigid single speed and finally a set of xt 8000 on my evil insurgent with 180's.

The hopes are my favourite. Modulation is the key with no fade ever. Used to live in Nelson and you could do a 1hr steep ass descent and never have any fade. I was a little disappointed originally as they don't have a sharp bite and don't lock a wheel as easy as every other brake but after riding with all of these different brakes I have to say - that is the point. I can lock the wheel but only if I try to. Otherwise I have oodles of modulation which helps you get through techy steep stuff without your brakes locking and releasing.

The sram lever never felt great to me. I liked the adjustable reach and bite but no matter how I set them the lever was never an intuitive fit under your finger. 

The xt bakes are satisfactory but don't really do anything great. Good power. So so modulation. Decent lever feel. A little fade - going to upgrade to 203 rotors.

May 26, 2018, 11:54 a.m.

bike came with SLX and they seem to have enough power, I like the levers and how they work

May 26, 2018, 10:15 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Jenson has no extra tax/customs because you pay for it at checkout.

With b-d, you get a chance of getting away with not even having to pay the 5% GST. You'll receive your stuff a bit slower, 7-14 days usually. Anything other costs would be on Canada Post, not b-d. If you get dinged on tax, there will be a $10 handling fee to Canada Post as well. Sometimes you'll get improperly charged duty, but you can fill out some paperwork to get it back.

May 27, 2018, 9:15 a.m.

TBS is generally competitive on Shimano brakes and they're out of Kelowna so no duties.  Canadian taxes though so...

May 27, 2018, 10:11 a.m.

Interesting. TBS has Saint brake pads, the first thing I looked for, at 15% less than Jenson.

May 27, 2018, 1:01 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

TBS is generally competitive on Shimano brakes and they're out of Kelowna so no duties.  Canadian taxes though so...

You pay taxes from Jenson.  It works out somewhere between 6 and 7% most of the time.  Ive asked several times how they calculate it, but never got a good answer.  The extra 1-2% (above GST that you would pay most of the time for parts) is worth it for the consistency and speed of Jenson.

May 27, 2018, 1:05 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Interesting. TBS has Saint brake pads, the first thing I looked for, at 15% less than Jenson.

Nope.  TBS seems to only sell the resin pads.  In both cases for resin pads (finned and non finned), Jenson is cheaper (if you use their CDN pricing).  Perhaps you were comparing the resin on TBS to the metal on Jenson?

May 27, 2018, 3:42 p.m.

I came off Saints (at one point runnning xtr xc levers) that were awesome for years, to some of the XT 4 pots. It’s hard to tell much difference, except price.

The TRP’s are tempting mostly because they run a shimano bleed port and pads.

After dealing with so many different and catastrophic sram brake issues over the years I’m willing to risk a ‘wandering bite point’ - though I have yet to experience it on any bikes.

May 27, 2018, 3:43 p.m.

1 vote for Magura MT7s

May 27, 2018, 9:15 p.m.

Posted by: Mike.T

1 vote for Magura MT7s

Even the MT5s are the tits. I've been running mine for 2 years now and still amazing brakes. For the price and power I'm not sure why or how these brakes are overlooked.

May 28, 2018, 8:51 p.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Posted by: Mike.T

1 vote for Magura MT7s

Even the MT5s are the tits. I've been running mine for 2 years now and still amazing brakes. For the price and power I'm not sure why or how these brakes are overlooked.

I concur after 2 years also.  Quiet, great feel, tons of power. I ❤️ my mt7s