Brakes Chat

March 14, 2019, 4:52 p.m.

Looking to buy new brakes for my 29er enduro.

Guide RS or RSC vs 2 piston XT or 4 piston XT?

Currently have the Guide R on the bike, solid OK brake but would like something comparable to my Maguras on bike #2 without buying Maguras.

Good to hear some feedback.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

March 14, 2019, 5:03 p.m.

I've run SRAM Code RSC (on my Capra), the TRP Quadiems and XT & Saint.

In order of preference I'd go:

Shimano

SRAM

Walmart

TRP

That last bit was just because the levers are so fricken' huge.  They all work well, but I prefer more on/off of Shimano to SRAM.

March 14, 2019, 5:38 p.m.

Maguras, worth it.

March 14, 2019, 5:43 p.m.

Codes are sweet. Similar feel to the Guides (i.e. modulation rather than the Shimano stick-in-spokes) but more power. The RSCs feel nicer than the Rs.

I have XT 2-pistons on one bike and Guide RS on the other. The Guides have a bit less bite but I substantially prefer the feel. The lever throw on my XTs is also inconsistent at times, regardless of a good bleed.

March 14, 2019, 6:17 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Maguras, worth it.

Yeah, why not another set of Maguras? Even then cheap options are great. 

You might also consider saints if 4 piston XT are an option?

March 14, 2019, 6:49 p.m.

Maguras, worth it.

Agree. MT5 for the win

March 14, 2019, 7:14 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Maguras, worth it.

Yeah, why not another set of Maguras? Even then cheap options are great.

You might also consider saints if 4 piston XT are an option?

The maguras are great but I have had to replace both levers due to them being so delicate. I'm a bit of a brute on sports equipment and want something that will survive a beating.

But yeah for the money the mt5s are a great brake.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on March 14, 2019, 7:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 14, 2019, 8:32 p.m.

Sorry...contrary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=CHEBYLPzZyk

March 14, 2019, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Sorry...contrary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=CHEBYLPzZyk

youtube? how come no counterpunch link?

March 14, 2019, 10:29 p.m.

I have Hope E4, Guide RSC and 2 piston XT. All are good. Here is what I would say...

XT have good power, sharp contact, best levers out of the group. Only problem is they have the most brake fade. I would go 4 piston if going XT

Hope have good power, less sharp but still good contact, OK lever feel. They are the best for having no fade.

SRAM has OK power, contact is OK, levers are non-descript. Fade is better than shimano but I would say that is the only thing I like better than the shimano.

The Hope are certainly the best quality product. They will be durable beyond the other two. The brake fade performance and overall good feel makes them easy to recommend. I only wish the lever felt more like a shimano or magura in your hand.

March 14, 2019, 10:50 p.m.

Hayes needs to get a mountain biker in their marketing department before they destroy all the good work the engineers have done. Only close up shows 2 finger braking. Oy vey.🤢 

BrockL, looks like mostly a mineral oil list? How about something new and blingy like gold Cura 4's? If not, then Shimano XT 4 piston.

Honestly, anything will feel better than Guide R's, ew. I lasted a month on those before binning them for some free XT's.

You know what I want to see? 5 second reviews. Someone jump on a product and calls it. 

Hope brakes- Wow beautiful...why the fuck are the levers too sharp to touch?

Guide R- Ok, still modulating and definitely not ever stopping.

Shimano anything- Ooh lever feels nice, holy $#@!*+# hammer of Thor I have stopped.

Magura- Why's the lever spongy?  Where's Thor's hammer? Oh there it is.

March 15, 2019, 7:41 a.m.

^ keeping on Hepcat’s level I was thinking I have binned both brakes OP mentioned. Guide for the piston swell, and XTs for destroying themselves.

I have a pair of formula the ones from back in the day that stopped working at some point too. And I really haven’t fallen for the set of TRP brakes on my DH bike.

I need a 5 second review of the new Hayes.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on March 15, 2019, 7:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2019, 9:30 a.m.

I ran Shimano Saints for the past few years and loved 'em...but they never had the stopping power I wanted. Over the past two generations...took em to a few different mechanics for bleeds, tried different brake pads...could not even do a stoppie. I mean, I am a big dude...but these are bigass brakes on 203 rotors...should not be an issue.

I came into ownership of some Magura MT4/3 setup...super cheap and while I did have to do a bleed on them to get the lever feel how I wanted it...the stopping power is MUCH stronger than the Saints they replace...for less than half the cost!

March 15, 2019, 10:02 a.m.

Those MT4/3s sound intriguing.  I have been using XT and LX 2 piston brakes for 5 years because the work well and, are reliable.  I recently bought a set of take off Deore 4 piston brakes and installed the callipers on the front of my 2 mountain bikes.  4 piston front, 2 rear and I love this setup, it feels very balanced to me.

March 15, 2019, 11:11 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

I ran Shimano Saints for the past few years and loved 'em...but they never had the stopping power I wanted. Over the past two generations...took em to a few different mechanics for bleeds, tried different brake pads...could not even do a stoppie. I mean, I am a big dude...but these are bigass brakes on 203 rotors...should not be an issue.

That's crazy.. I could easily go OTB if I grabbed my front and I hover anywhere around 220-245.