Brake setup for new build

Dec. 20, 2022, 3:52 p.m.

Since it's -40c here in the north and my parts keep rolling in for this build I'm doing. Thought I'd post it here and see if you guys had used these brakes or rotor before and maybe an opinion. I won't be able to ride until mid spring so a part every couple of weeks has been super fun and encouraging over the start of the winter.

Anyone used the carbon-ti rotors on a mountain bike application? Last three builds have used hope floaters so I may purchase one as a spare.

Anyone used the hope tech 4 x2's? I've been a Shimano guy for a long time and Hayes before that. First time trying these so I'm hopeful

Here's a picture of some of the crap I've bought for this build. There's more parts in a box but I want to talk about brakes 

Parking lot punter with a beer belly

Dec. 20, 2022, 11:19 p.m.

Don't know about those rotors or brakes but still going to reply lol. I did race XC for years and chased gram counting at ridiculous time and expense. I finally learned the hard way that the only area that makes a measurable difference on the clock really are wheels. 

Obsess over tires, bring a scale to the shop and weigh each one, be completely neurotic about selecting rims, but buy brake rotors based solely on performance is my random 2¢.

Even if those are the only good parts you have it's still going to be a rad build! So fun, looking forward to chapter 2.

Dec. 21, 2022, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Don't know about those rotors or brakes but still going to reply lol. I did race XC for years and chased gram counting at ridiculous time and expense. I finally learned the hard way that the only area that makes a measurable difference on the clock really are wheels. 

So if its not rotating weight it doesnt matter is what i hear you say ?

I just use whatever brakes comes on whatever new bike I buy

IME Shimano & SRAM really have worked fine

Dec. 21, 2022, 1:03 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Actual science is out there. But anecdotal punter experience? Tire weight (and durometer for that matter) absolutely showed up on the clock. While dropping the kid's college fund on saving a static kilo of weight never moved the needle at all.

Jealous of the person that can take a deep breath and accept that what came with the bike is perfectly functional and fine, Instead of the incessant buzz of "but what if it was like 1.5 mm/mg/ different...?!?!"

Dec. 21, 2022, 1:17 p.m.

I mean the latest shimano & SRAM that Yeti & SC spec'ed were adequate for my purposes but i have never been one to go changing things that didn't really need changing

except of course the purple ano

Dec. 21, 2022, 3:14 p.m.

Obsess over tires, bring a scale to the shop and weigh each one, be completely neurotic about selecting rims, but buy brake rotors based solely on performance is my random 2¢.

Even if those are the only good parts you have it's still going to be a rad build! So fun, looking forward to chapter 2.

Yeah for sure, in the past I've been super worried about burly parts and dependable/reliability. This build I'm breaking out of my shell and getting gram conscious. Built from the frame up and almost every part(except for bolts) are coming from a local bike shop(local to BC) Carbon rims and titanium bolts for every part are on the way. 

Should be a pretty sweet pump track/dirt jump/beer getter.

Dec. 21, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

100% Shimano brakes work awesome. I am building this frame up part by part and wanted to try something new. Usually saints are my go to on everything but they're definitely overkill on most. Lots of my bikes have had hope floating rotors so I thought I'd grab the hope brakes this time. Maybe I'll like them, maybe they'll be tossed into the parts bin. Who knows...

Dec. 21, 2022, 5:26 p.m.

The X2's are nice brakes, I run a set with the older Tech 3 masters but expect they'll perform similarly or better with the Tech 4's.  If you come from shimano, you'll miss the initial bite but you gain modulation, better adjustability and bling.  For my full suspension bike, I prefer the 4 piston shimano's compared to Hope's E4's but for more XC focused stuff the X2's will work well.  No idea on the rotors, always run mine with shimano rotors with no issues.

Dec. 21, 2022, 6:40 p.m.

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

Yeah for sure, in the past I've been super worried about burly parts and dependable/reliability. This build I'm breaking out of my shell and getting gram conscious. Built from the frame up and almost every part(except for bolts) are coming from a local bike shop(local to BC) Carbon rims and titanium bolts for every part are on the way. 

Should be a pretty sweet pump track/dirt jump/beer getter.

Dear lord that sounds awesome.

Dec. 21, 2022, 7:42 p.m.

yeah so the shimano needed a bleed and the SRAM never did but still this stuff all works pretty good IME, just change the padz and be happy, but maybe you need to spec something harder to source/ service you know ... to be really core

Dec. 22, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

Posted by: BurkeMtnRider

Anyone used the hope tech 4 x2's? I've been a Shimano guy for a long time and Hayes before that. First time trying these so I'm hopeful

All I can say is keep a good stock of hope pads if you're going on a trip, or don't live near a shop that stocks them. I only have one buddy who runs Hopes (religiously), and he's been caught out pretty bad a couple of times on out-of-town trips with the boys.

Dec. 22, 2022, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

All I can say is keep a good stock of hope pads if you're going on a trip, or don't live near a shop that stocks them. I only have one buddy who runs Hopes (religiously), and he's been caught out pretty bad a couple of times on out-of-town trips with the boys.

Good advice. My one set of "weirdo" brakes is on my SS HT that isn't likely to ever come on a road trip and my LBS stocks pads. For my other bikes I stick to SRAM and Shimano so there is no spares issues.

Dec. 22, 2022, 12:10 p.m.

I really like how the MTX Red Label pads have improved the bite of my Hope Tech3V4 brakes. I much prefer them to the stock pads.

Dec. 22, 2022, 12:55 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: mammal

Good advice. My one set of "weirdo" brakes is on my SS HT that isn't likely to ever come on a road trip and my LBS stocks pads. For my other bikes I stick to SRAM and Shimano so there is no spares issues.

All 3 of my mtb's use the same 4-piston Shimano pads.

Dec. 22, 2022, 7:52 p.m.

I did that with my Dynafit  ski touring setups, I took a complete heelpiece to Japan incase something breaks ^^ I got the parts

AKA redundancy