boutique brands

Feb. 19, 2011, 1:22 p.m.

This question is aimed at our U.S. board members
My friends and I were talking the other night about the same bike brands we see when riding here in B.C. The usual Cove, Rocky, Giant, Specialized and the smaller ones like Knolly and so on.

After checking out the jedi thread about the new canfield we got to wondering about The main big brands and smaller bike manufacturers you guys see.

Interesting to see what brands are more prevailiant in different parts of the states.
cheers

Feb. 19, 2011, 1:30 p.m.

I'd say Turner, Ibis and to a lesser extent Intense. Not sure if anyone rides Yeti or Foes around anymore.

What is considered a Boutique Brand nowadays? Do they have to manufacturer in NA, or just produce limited frame styles?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Feb. 19, 2011, 1:32 p.m.

That is a good question as well. I guess a boutique brand would be a small run of frames or bikes. Let's just say a smaller manufacturer.

Feb. 19, 2011, 6:02 p.m.

they need to have one of these somewhere in the office:

Check my stuff for sale!

Feb. 19, 2011, 7:59 p.m.

is 24 still around? i loved my le toy 3. it would prolly suck ass if i rode it now though

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 19, 2011, 8:03 p.m.

I still have my evil imperial, its still fun :)

Yetis are pretty popular out here, konas too

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

Feb. 19, 2011, 8:09 p.m.

imperials are droooolll

i would think nicolai is the ultimate boutique.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 19, 2011, 9:07 p.m.

I still have my evil imperial, its still fun :)

I got mine at Target.

Half off.

It's real nice.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 19, 2011, 10:34 p.m.

Seems like a lot of Knolly fans in Colorado. Curious to see how they do in Cali now that they have a rep down there.

Feb. 19, 2011, 11:30 p.m.

is cannondale (cracknfail) still large and in charge in youesofeh? i used to joke with my buds that come up here every year from connecticut that you can always spot a yank on the trails - they have a cracknfail - and its 100% accurate thus far

Feb. 20, 2011, 8:25 a.m.

When I lived in CO, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Yeti of some kind. Now in CT, it's Cannondale. Granted, they have their R[HTML_REMOVED]D facility just down the road, and a couple huge dealers close by.

A few Knolly's here and there. Custom hardtails here and there, and have seen a couple Balfa frames out here. Never saw one of those in CO. A few Euro makes once in a while. A few Intense/Ibis/Turner/Ellsworth bikes. Can't recall the last time I saw a Foes.
Close enough to the CA/US border, we get a few Devinci's as well.

I'd say not so much "boutique" stuff around here, just a fair bit of rides that are uncommon for the area maybe? I've only seen one other Banshee, one other Transition other my own on the trails around here. Both nice bikes that I enjoy immensely, but nothing I'd call boutique or particularly unique.

Feb. 20, 2011, 2:16 p.m.

Seems like a lot of Knolly fans in Colorado. Curious to see how they do in Cali now that they have a rep down there.

I've seen a 2-3 Knolly's around Santa Cruz but that's it. Mostly see Specialized, Santa Cruz, and Trek. Intense also. People also love anything to do with Gary Fischer.

Feb. 20, 2011, 2:32 p.m.

Eastern Woods research came back from the dead a few years ago. And seems to have a cult following….similar to Chromag I think.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 20, 2011, 4:22 p.m.

lots of yeti, santa cruz, and ibis here in sun valley.

oh, and scotts.

while your sitten at your desk im banging laps.

Feb. 20, 2011, 5:14 p.m.

They will do well. In SD we just got a 3rd shop selling Knolly. A lot of people are talking about them, and I am seeing more an more on the trails.

Turner, Intense and Ellsworth are all within an hour of San diego, so they are crazy popular, to the point I wouldn't call them boutique. You also see a lot of Ibis (from santa cruz), and yeti, and seems everyone and their dog ride Santa Cruz. Any any brand of 29er are also huge…Niner, Vassago specifically. Singlespeeds are also huge. Most people are riding xc though. There are a few Banshees, Foes, canfield, and more transitions.

Of course, lots of people also ride the ho-hum big brands like specialized, giant, trek and some still ride the shit brands like KHS, ironhorse, cannondale.