Bottoming my Fox Van36 R.........a lot!

Sept. 19, 2008, 12:57 a.m.

Well, as the title states my Fox Van36R forks are taking a beating. Just to get it out of the way…YES, I'm a hack…and YES I need to learn how to ride. But in the meantime………

It seems everything I hit they are maxing out. I weigh in at 180lbs and currently have the stock green 175-210lb spring. My sag is coming in at 1 1/8". Compression is set at 8 clicks in…

I've tried maxing the compression and this sets my sag to the minimum of 15/16". Problem is they still bottom even on the smoothest transition…

I've ordered up the yellow spring (205-240lbs) but I'm guessing I'm not going to be able to achieve my minimum sag with a spring that stiff…

My questions…

-Has anyone messed with higher oil levels to provide a little more bottoming resistance? It's pretty common in the MX world to add an extra 10-20cc to the forks, and it does wonders… I did a search here and didn't seem to find much on the subject

-Has anyone messed with the "hydraulic bottom out control system"? The online manual says it should be serviced by a "authorized service center" but I'm wondering f it helps before I take the forks in and have a bunch of work done to them…

Sept. 19, 2008, 7:01 a.m.

There could be air in the cartridge.
Remove the spring and try to compress as much as possible. Maybe you hear some kind of slurping towards the end!? This would indicate air in the system and you have to refill the damper.

I don't know if adding or removing oil will make an huge difference in bottoming out because the 36R has a closed cartridge. The bladder inside the damper holds a very little bubble of air afaik and changing the oil level may alters the pressure of the bubble on a bottom out and may cause some damage.

Setting the internal bottom out seems doable by anyone who can follow the instructions of FOX' online manual. -[HTML_REMOVED] http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

Sept. 19, 2008, 8:57 a.m.

I've tried maxing the compression and this sets my sag to the minimum of 15/16". Problem is they still bottom even on the smoothest transition…

-Has anyone messed with higher oil levels to provide a little more bottoming resistance? It's pretty common in the MX world to add an extra 10-20cc to the forks, and it does wonders… I did a search here and didn't seem to find much on the subject

The R doesn't have compression adjustment. What your adjusting is pre-load. Which helps you ride higher in your travel but won't help stop blowing threw your travel. I wouldn't put more oil in, try a heavier oil.

All propaganda has to be popular and has to accommodate itself to the comprehension of the least intelligent of those whom it seeks to reach.

Sept. 19, 2008, 9:16 a.m.

www.suspensionwerx.com

Sept. 19, 2008, 9:23 a.m.

www.suspensionwerx.com

what is that? need more info…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

Sept. 19, 2008, 9:37 a.m.

I had the same problem with the 36 R. Tried the heaviest spring and all it did was make the fork feel harsh and it still bottomed constantly. Apparently the solution is to either get the RC2 cartridge or the newer version of the R. I bought a 66.

Sept. 19, 2008, 9:44 a.m.

what is that? need more info…

It might be that your compression is not working top shape because of old oil.
suspensionwerx is in N-van operated by James from OGC, he's good, he rebuilds, and tunes fork/shocks, offers good tip.
i had one day turnaround, easy to talk to.
recommended.

Sept. 19, 2008, 10:13 a.m.

The fork bottoms a lot more when the oil needs changing. Also, if you have a pre 2007 model, then it will blow through travel a lot more. Newer models have a lot more progression.

Sept. 19, 2008, 11:09 a.m.

There is no point raising the oil level. The cartridge is sealed, and the open bath is just that, for lubrication, and there isn't a proper seal in the fork to prevent oil spewing out if you were to somehow generate an air assist by raising the oil level.

I have an extra firm spring for the '05 36 Van you're more than welcome to try/buy. Those forks were only 150mm travel though. I assume the spring changed when they upped the travel.

Sept. 19, 2008, 8:12 p.m.

Thanks for the replies everyone….

I was unaware the 36 was a closed cartridge so i guess that rules out oil level changes. The bike is brand new with 3 rides on it so the oil isn't in poor shape.

One thing I'm wondering is if there is some kind of variable rate spring on the market?? Something that will soak up the little stuff but will also soak up the big hits…

I've already got the heavier spring on order but it almost sounds like a fork upgrade may be in order…

Sept. 25, 2008, 11:48 p.m.

you don't need a heavier spring.
you need to have the comp cart bled properly by james at suspensionwerx. when your 36 or 40 starts getting linear, its time to service it.

Sept. 26, 2008, 3:43 a.m.

Sounds like a warranty issue, because the fork has just a few rides on it.

Sept. 28, 2008, 3:13 a.m.

If you bottom your van a lot,
you could do a ghetto mod.

Just find an elastomer out of a Boxxer Ride, a Psylo or some other elastomer fork and put it inside your spring.

You