Boost hub in 150mm dropouts?

May 2, 2016, 1:48 p.m.

Looking to build up a new wheelset and, in the interest of forward compatibility, am considering a boost rear hub. Frame is a Banshee Spitfire so can go 142x12 (currently) or 150x12 dropouts (can be procured). Seems to me this should squeeze in fine (delta 2mm) with some minor shimming of the rear brake mount?

NB: Boost is dumb, only considering this to accommodate future frames. The "standards war" can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

May 2, 2016, 2:45 p.m.

Chainline will be out by 4.5mm. Whether or not this is significant or whether or not you could compensate with derailleur adjustment I couldn't say.

Edit: Sorry, brainfart. Your chainline will be out wrt to the BB, but I'm guessing Banshee decided this wasn't significant, or they expect you to run an 83mm BB axle with the 150mm dropout or something. What will be a problem is the rear derailleur tab, but I suspect you could tweak the limit screws accordingly?

May 2, 2016, 4:03 p.m.

He has RF cranks with a 51mm chainline, only 1mm off "Boost". By using a 148mm hub and squeezing the 150 dropouts there is an advantage in chainline for climbing which is is pretty much standard these days (see one-up chainlines). No need for shimming as well. 1mm either side is negligible.