Blown CCDBA on my Sworks E29, AGAIN

Jan. 1, 2018, 10:06 p.m.

My CCDBA which came stock on my Sworks E29 has now blown twice in two years - first time was covered under warranty but I think that it is only covered for a year, so I'm guessing this time its on me.

I noticed the bike sitting low - it holds air well and the climbing switch works..confirmed its holding air.....why does my seat post need to be raised? Why am I getting pedal strikes every ten feet?...I pulled up photos and the shock is not extending nearly as far as it should. So its "functioning", but with way less travel. Why does this happen?

I'm reluctant to replace it with another CCDB but the interface is proprietary and I think that its complicated to put something else on.

I'm seeing these sexy coil shocks on some bikes, like rnayels!, and I'm wondering if that's the direction I should head.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 1, 2018, 11:35 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2018, 8:42 a.m.

If you are riding it hard and often, you should expect to have it serviced every season at least.  Take it into the wizards at SuspensionWerx, and they will be able to tell you if it is a problem with your actual shock, or if it has just been ridden enough that it needs a service.  Cane Creek is usual pretty good with their CS, so if it is an actual shock issue, I think they would probably try and take care of you.

Let us know how it goes!

Jan. 2, 2018, 6:37 p.m.

Sounds like the negative air side has become over pressurized and the shock is “locked down”. Not sure why air shocks do this but I think it is perhaps a worn seal. Many years ago I had a Fox shock that did this and the fix was a new quad lip seal to replace the original which had a d shaped section. I agree with annual service too. More if you ride a lot as in 500 hours a season. Also bike park riding really puts the hurt on bikes. A day at a bike park where let’s say you get ten runs is like ten days where you ride and down under your own power. More or less.

If you do your own air sleeve maintenance, be very very careful undoing a shock in lock down. Put a well padded Allen wrench though the eyelet to cushion the explosion.

Last edited by: andy-eunson on Jan. 2, 2018, 6:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2018, 7:02 p.m.

I brought it to Suspension Werx and I'm sure they'll fix it up. Yes, its the negative air side. Once a year servicing is normal I guess but I don't see why these things need so much maintenance when my cars are in much more hostile conditions, see a lot more use, get pounded as much and they're basically good FOR EVER. Its a good reminder to get my Pike serviced too.

Maybe Ill sell the CCDB CS who knows, but first step is to get it working. My only other choice seems to be get the bike yoke and get a non-specialized proprietary X2 to fit. Otherwise, I'm searching forever to find a good X2 take off of a similar bike with the proprietary specialized BS linkage, or I'm spending $1000+ for a Specialized specific x2, and then I'm investing too much into the bike.

For now, rebuild/servicing!

Last edited by: Ddean on Jan. 2, 2018, 7:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2018, 9:43 p.m.

Take a look at the DVO Topaz. I just got one for my '18 Enduro based on SuspensionWerx's suggestion. They fit the Enduro http://www.dvosuspension.com/products/topaz-t3air_/ (Stumpjumper and Enduro compatible). What makes them unique is they use a bladder instead of an IFP and two air pressure systems. There is absolutely no stiction on this shock. You can see the shock go down just from the sprung weight. I was looking at an X2 as well. Chat with the crew at SW.

Last edited by: LoamtoHome on Jan. 2, 2018, 9:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2018, 9:48 p.m.

Instances like these are one of the reasons I try to steer clear of proprietary parts on major components.   If you get the CCDBA CS serviced regularly, my guess would be that you wont continue to have the same issue.

Jan. 2, 2018, 11:44 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Instances like these are one of the reasons I try to steer clear of proprietary parts on major components.   If you get the CCDBA CS serviced regularly, my guess would be that you wont continue to have the same issue.

Forsure, but once a year servicing is not an unreasonable expectation. That’s not been enough so far!

Jan. 5, 2018, 2:06 p.m.

SW fixed it up. Required service plus a few extra bucks of small stuff - the inner can was extending less than 50%. The CC is back on the bike but who knows how long it will stay there. If I find a Float X2 of the proper size I may grab that along with a bike yoke and give that a go.

Time for a fork service!