Bleeding Hayes

July 3, 2008, 11:45 a.m.

I think the Stroker Trails have better modulation then the Juicys. Mind you almost all brakes have better modulations then the Juicys.

July 3, 2008, 1:08 p.m.

I think the Stroker Trails have better modulation then the Juicys. Mind you almost all brakes have better modulations then the Juicys.

i've never had any probs modulating my juicy's :???:

i'm trying a set of shimano's on my big bike because of a ride buddy that swears by them, but i think after this i'll just stick to my avids - didn't really notice any big difference

July 3, 2008, 3:49 p.m.

The solution is simple…chuck 'em.

Chainlove had saints for 90 bucks per wheel…keep yer eyes peeled just in case the deal comes up again.

Yea but that didn't include calipers or rotors.

July 3, 2008, 4:35 p.m.

Actually ya that $90 deal did….fungle picked 'em up last week and he's been laughing about how good a deal it was every chance he gets. Best deal on brakes I've seen in a while.

The $75 for levers isn't bad either.

You can all go to hell. I'll be joining you shortly and I'm bringing beer and cheetos.

July 3, 2008, 5:01 p.m.

The Saints were $95 per brake - came with levers, calipers and rotors. :)

July 3, 2008, 6:32 p.m.

i've never had any probs modulating my juicy's

pics?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 3, 2008, 6:33 p.m.

brake with the most modulations i've felt was XTR

Juicy 7s have plenty of modulation once you get used to using them.

July 3, 2008, 7:06 p.m.

You've got a point j-kwon. I know there's been debates about modulation; it seems highly subjective. For me, the Hayes Stroker Trails, the Magura Louise, and Shimano XT had much more modulation then the Avid Juicys - which in turn had more modulation then the brutal on-off Hayes HFX 9s and El-Caminos.

July 3, 2008, 7:47 p.m.

You've got a point j-kwon. I know there's been debates about modulation; it seems highly subjective. For me, the Hayes Stroker Trails, the Magura Louise, and Shimano XT had much more modulation then the Avid Juicys - which in turn had more modulation then the brutal on-off Hayes HFX 9s and El-Caminos.

you can make a juicy very modulative, by playing around with the contact point red knob.

July 3, 2008, 8:06 p.m.

The spring works great for me. Just get a few sections over the lip of the caliper nozzle and that holds it on perfectly even if you don't hold the fluid bottle steady.

Someone put up a thread on another forum asking people to write opinions on all the brakes theyve ever used. Interestingly almost every make and model got bashed severely at some point and every make/model had staunch supporters. I know hayes has fallen out of grace but I was still using 5 yr old purples recently and I still have mags that are still working great for me. I dunno, hayes just always works for me. I recently got a set of codes - while they're nice, they arent any better (though I love the reach adjustment).

Beyond bikes has 9's on right now for $59 and mags for 99. You can get 15% off or so with online coupons. I know lots of people hate 9's but even if you take the rotor, pads and hose and throw away the caliper and lever you still brake even on the deal.

July 3, 2008, 8:10 p.m.

lee, forgot to mention that you can just use a zip tie to hold the hose on and just take it off with a pair of side cutters after.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

July 3, 2008, 8:32 p.m.

i've never had any probs modulating my juicy's

Quoted for awesomeness.

July 3, 2008, 11:13 p.m.

July 3, 2008, 11:26 p.m.

lee, forgot to mention that you can just use a zip tie to hold the hose on and just take it off with a pair of side cutters after.

I concur. I have still have a pair of 1999 Mags on my xc bike. They work just fine (ya, ya, I can hear the collective groan….I have Maguras, and Juicys as well and like them a whole lot too). I have always used the zip tie trick. use a really small tie and tighten only enough around the tubing to hold it in place on the nipple (this way it is tight enough to not fall off while bleeding and still able to pop the tubing end off the nipple). If you are particularly ham-handed you can still pull the tubing off mid-bleed and end up as I have, with a DOT covered shoe (f[HTML_REMOVED]%^ing DOT fluid).

"Walk a mile in another man's shoes. Then, you'll be a mile away from him and have his shoes."

http://www.valleyvetservices.com
www.vmta.ca

July 3, 2008, 11:48 p.m.

^^I think if you and evanius were to try some of Hayes' newer stuff, you would understand. older purples and mags (especially the former) were the shit. Unfortunately, most of Hayes' product line has become, well, shit.