Bike travel bags

May 11, 2013, 6:12 a.m.

I have the EVOC bag and have used it on 5 round trips and it is still mint and my bike was well protected. Well worth the money.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 11, 2013, 9:25 p.m.

Well there's your problem… taking your bike to Ontario. Better just leave it in B.C. for safe keeping… ;-)

yeah, totally…but it was either that or my dad's ccm to (feebly) attempt to get prepared for the kaslo sufferfest. in the end it wouldn't have made a difference probably!

but, i did pick up the pikapackworks case, which seems to be pretty high quality…no issues to report. i phoned the main guy there a couple times and he was super helpful and i appreciate companies like that so i bought it. it's one of those purchases that didn't make sense to skimp on

May 12, 2013, 9:56 a.m.

yeah, totally…but it was either that or my dad's ccm to (feebly) attempt to get prepared for the kaslo sufferfest. in the end it wouldn't have made a difference probably!

but, i did pick up the pikapackworks case, which seems to be pretty high quality…no issues to report. i phoned the main guy there a couple times and he was super helpful and i appreciate companies like that so i bought it. it's one of those purchases that didn't make sense to skimp on

When are you travelling?

May 12, 2013, 11:14 a.m.

This was last year…when I went back to Ontario in September. This year, probably not using it. If you ever need to borrow it, let me know

May 12, 2013, 12:05 p.m.

This was last year…when I went back to Ontario in September. This year, probably not using it. If you ever need to borrow it, let me know

Holy time warp… I should pay attention to dates. We should have been riding today, although mom might have something to say about that.

May 12, 2013, 5:47 p.m.

I have a dakine bag. had it for a few years. probly have 40 return trips on it or so.
it lacks protection and is heavy when empty. The evoc bag with the wheel compartments is definitly the way to go.

May 12, 2013, 7:24 p.m.

I have a dakine bag. had it for a few years. probly have 40 return trips on it or so.
it lacks protection and is heavy when empty. The evoc bag with the wheel compartments is definitly the way to go.

the Evoc is just as heavy at around 20 pounds. The wheel compartment are super cool, if I would buy an other the Evoc would most likely be the one.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 12, 2013, 8:30 p.m.

A regular cardboard bike box will work fine. between my girlfriend and I we have packed up our bikes many many times. I would say at least 40 times and we never had any issues. How do you think your bike got here in the first place?

only 35 but still beat the 30-39 BC cup Champion 4 out of 6 races

May 12, 2013, 9:21 p.m.

Slowboat from China?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 12, 2013, 9:27 p.m.

I've used soft bags (crap) but found cardboard boxes better. They are also free (unless your LBS is a dick). They don't last forever but they are free…

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 13, 2013, 8:10 a.m.

cardboard boxes are a pain. It takes me 15 minutes to pack my bike and even less to unpack.
1-remove handle bars and strap them to fork
2-remove pedals
3-remove wheels
4-undo rear derailleur and strap it to chainstay
5-zip up bag

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 13, 2013, 1:30 p.m.

I was just looking at a couple bags. These came up highly rated and recommended.

http://www.biknd.com/home.html

http://www.sciconbags.com/en/item/19-bikebags/76-aerocomfortmtb

The airbags are a good idea on that first one - if they could just get weight down from 12kg.

I'd guess that my ghetto goalie bag with foam padding is like 5kg max. I know, not as protective but just sayin. A light, easily packed, protective, foldable soft case that doesn't incur extra fees would be dope.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 13, 2013, 10:13 p.m.

Having just flown my bike across the country using the EVOC bag, I'm willing to stand up and say it is pretty kickass.

I've used the old cardboard box method in the past, but trying to get the damn thing through the airport (particularly Pearson, where they charge you for a luggage cart) can be a pain in the butt.

This time however, it was wheels all the way to the Skytrain, then on to my place. Absolutely brilliant.