Bike travel bags

Aug. 3, 2012, 2:18 p.m.

The evoc bike bag seems to be a good choice for travelling with a bike…any opinions? The Dakine one doesn't seem to be made anymore?

other options? (preferrably not hockey bags, cardboard, etc)

thanks

Aug. 3, 2012, 2:46 p.m.

The evoc bike bag seems to be a good choice for travelling with a bike…any opinions? The Dakine one doesn't seem to be made anymore?

thanks

I have one of the Dakine bags. This looks like a similar style. Doing a quick google search looks like Amazon has a couple Dakine's still in stock for cheap. I've used mine for 4 or 5 trips and it's help up great, sturdy zipper and seams that even the baggage gorillas can't seem to break. The thing the Dakine bag has that the Evoc doesn't is a retracting handle for rolling it around, similar to a regular luggage, but the Evoc has the separate wheel compartments which look pretty sweet.

My Team From San Luis Obispo, CA
SLOtothebone.wordpress.com

My Dirtbag Team in BC
The B-Team

B-Team :heart:'s You

Aug. 3, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

Gotta ask why no hockey bag?

We travelled to Peru in June and I packed two bikes in two hockey bags. We made sure to some in under the 23kg weight and didn't pay a dime in extra travel fees. Saved a bundle, 2 people with 4 flight legs. Bike bag will cost you over $100 on Air Canada per leg and $200+ on some US carriers.

Aug. 3, 2012, 7:28 p.m.

well, i just figure i want to get a bike i've spent over 3 grand on safely to where im going (in this case just ontario). i dont mind spending money on a well built bag that reduces my chances of dents, etc to the bike…i guess i can look into it more but just thinking about the worst case scenario

Aug. 3, 2012, 8 p.m.

If its only a one time thing I had these guys make a box for my wife's bike when we flew to San Diego. If I remember right it cost us $20 and it was semi-custom fit to her bike. Used it twice actually.

Aug. 3, 2012, 9:21 p.m.

I have a soft travel bag and have had my stuff get slightly damaged during transit.

The crateworks boxes are by far the best options I have seen. Really well thought out, super sturdy, airlines like them, all around win. Def my next choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGYCBQjue_o

http://www.crateworks.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD[HTML_REMOVED]Store_Code=crateworks[HTML_REMOVED]Product_Code=Pro_XLC[HTML_REMOVED]Category_Code=Bike-Boxes

Aug. 6, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

If you,re willing to cover the excess baggage fees (don't forget they ding ya in both directions) then you may as well buck up for a hardshell case and never worry about.

I too do the Great Canadian Hockey Bag Method and most of the time it's fine as long as you,re thoughtful in how you pack. Just did it this morning actually.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Aug. 6, 2012, 2:58 p.m.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68409

super cheap, super effective. no complaints, and westjet only charged 20 dollars each way as an extra bag fee, not like the rape air canada put on with 50 dollars oversized bag and 75 dollar bike fee combined. each way. not even a kiss before.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Aug. 7, 2012, 3:38 p.m.

If you travel anywhere that British airways flies, choose them… No extra bike bag fee. Good all around airline too.

May 10, 2013, 4:14 p.m.

Anyone else using the CRC bike bag?

Good? Bad? Mods to improve it?

Thinking about using a bike bags to keep road dirt off the bikes for an upcoming road trip.

May 10, 2013, 4:25 p.m.

Anyone else using the CRC bike bag?

Good? Bad? Mods to improve it?

Thinking about using a bike bags to keep road dirt off the bikes for an upcoming road trip.

My buddy Frencie has one, not a ver tough bag. Good for short trips

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 10, 2013, 4:44 p.m.

I picked up the crc one. POS. zippers on the outside to reach in broke straight away. they aren't for packing, just on the sides for access (not structural). I puncnched holes through it an ran zip ties to secure it. those access points are just one more thing to go wrong I think.. a bit sketched on the way home wondering if the thing was going to hold together. all the zippers seemed of poor quality. plastic sliders on the bottom where destroyed when I got to my destination. i'd look elsewhere. one trip and the thing looks ten yrs old lol

May 10, 2013, 7:27 p.m.

well, i just figure i want to get a bike i've spent over 3 grand on safely to where im going (in this case just ontario). i dont mind spending money on a well built bag that reduces my chances of dents, etc to the bike…i guess i can look into it more but just thinking about the worst case scenario

Well there's your problem… taking your bike to Ontario. Better just leave it in B.C. for safe keeping… ;-)

May 10, 2013, 7:56 p.m.

I have the Dakine as well (got it used from pinkbike for 200$) works really well but it's BIG and can be a pain to travel with. Keep in mind that it doesn't fit in most cars (taxi) so you have to be prepared once you get to your destination. That Evoc bag look really good, cant really go wrong but it will be the same as the Dakine it's big.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

May 11, 2013, 12:04 a.m.

I was just looking at a couple bags. These came up highly rated and recommended.

http://www.biknd.com/home.html

http://www.sciconbags.com/en/item/19-bikebags/76-aerocomfortmtb

The Helium requires removal of rear derailleur, handle bars, and a couple other things, but it appears to be the most protective. The Aero Comfort MTB only requires removal of wheels, and maybe rotation of bars.

Whatever you look at, check the product site, or Youtube, for videos on packing bikes into the case. It gives a pretty good idea of how sturdy the case is, what kind of protection it has, and how much effort is involved.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells