Bike trainers

Oct. 31, 2008, 11:57 a.m.

So been thinking of getting one for a while, and I've narrowed it down to either the Cycle-ops Fluid 2 (now owned by Saris? I think) or the Kurt Kinetic.

Anyone used either one? Your opinions? Anyone know where I can buy either locally?

PS - I've looked around online and seen other makes [HTML_REMOVED] models, the ones @ MEC don't seem to have much in the way of write ups online so I'm avoiding them.

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:07 p.m.

Heat, ask over on the Lycra board too. Those are the racer type guys who spend lots of time on trainers. PM Circlip too http://bb.nsmb.com/member.php?u=25067

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:07 p.m.

I have a CycleOps Fluid 2 and am happy with it. I haven't tried any others so can't really compare. The Fluid feels super smooth, quiet (relatively) and sturdy (even when standing) and I've never had a problem with the amount of resistance. I had an original Fluid which actually leaked but I got it warrantied by the new owner of the company. I received very good support so I'd reccomend it. I was also riding rollers, which are more fun but found I'd get much better work outs on my CycleOps.

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:08 p.m.

Kurt Kinetics and 1upUSA (also sold as Blackburn Trakstand) tend to be the most highly recommended in roadie circles. Lots of Cycleops owners out there too.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:11 p.m.

Heat, ask over on the Lycra board too. Those are the racer type guys who spend lots of time on trainers. PM Circlip too http://bb.nsmb.com/member.php?u=25067

Lycra board? I just found out there was more on here than nbr today :D But I'll check it out.

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:20 p.m.

Proof of teh bike?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:28 p.m.

Proof of teh bike?

Well it's hanging in the garage right now. It's an old gary fischer paragon. Throw a $10 slick on the back and it'll be good enought to work up a sweat.

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:35 p.m.

Well it's hanging in the garage right now. It's an old gary fischer paragon. Throw a $10 slick on the back and it'll be good enought to work up a sweat.

Props to you.

Oct. 31, 2008, 12:48 p.m.

Recent general discussion about trainers:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=105136[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=trainer

Oct. 31, 2008, 3:20 p.m.

Avoid the Blackburn Trakstand Ultra … I had one for two seasons and it's not consistent enough. The setup and overall build is great, but the resistance unit isn't consistent once it's been used for a while (ie. a couple months). It tended to "grab" at times and then release once it warmed up … not good.

I've since sold it and picked up a Kurt Kinetic pro road machine. Haven't heard anything but great reviews on the Kurt stuff, but they're pricey. No experience on it yet due to a broken hip that won't be healed until after Christmas.

:canada: :england:

Oct. 31, 2008, 3:24 p.m.

Avoid the Blackburn Trakstand Ultra … I had one for two seasons and it's not consistent enough. The setup and overall build is great, but the resistance unit isn't consistent once it's been used for a while (ie. a couple months). It tended to "grab" at times and then release once it warmed up … not good.

Whoah. I take my comment back then. Really sh*tty reviews on RBR too. But still very good for the 1upUSA.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/training/trainers/PLS_1663crx.aspx