Bike Suggestion

March 4, 2015, 11:44 a.m.

Banshee Phantom, Evil The Following. Check out Bikes bible of bike tests.

March 4, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

traction was surprisingly good, but I found the front end wandered a lot more than i was used to. A lot of it is likely personal preference and skill, I just wasn't a fan of the geometry while climbing - I think the slacker HTA at 66 did this.
I found the Enduro 29 to be a superior climber, for me anyways. It's HTA is 67.5.

Yes, the 66 HTA does mean the front pops up a little easier, which can be good for tech climbing, but not as good for climbs like Old Buck. For me it was about how well the back hooks up under power, especially when weighted. Haven't spent any real time on any 29r's to compare, only older 26 bikes.

One thing I was really able to notice was the ability to quickly accelerate from stop to moving for tech climbing, the 27.5 is slower, but is off-set with better traction. As I understand the 29r's would add to that, which is why most folk try to roll through rough climbs rather than stop/start plodding through.

In the end the bike has to feel right for the rider. A 67.5 HTA would not allow me to feel as confident on the downhill sections of trails as a 66 HTA, however, I am sure the climbing aspect would be a little more comfortable.

Good luck on picking your new ride.

March 4, 2015, 11:51 a.m.

I have not ridden the E29 - where did you demo it from?

March 4, 2015, 12:02 p.m.

if you really are willing to sacrifice downhill performance for climbing chops, you might be looking for bikes with long chainstay numbers:

Oh no, for climbing you want a long stem (he says very sarcastically)

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

March 4, 2015, 12:10 p.m.

The Stumpjumper FSR 29er (no matter if evo or non evo) is the best climbing bike I´ve ridden. At least for technical and steep stuff. The long stays let you climb just about anything, if you have the legs for it. Just sit and spin.

If you get the EVO version you even can add a Monarch Debon Air down the road. FANTASTIC!

I wouldn´t describe the Evo 29er as nimble though. It is quite long…

Nimbler than a lot of new-school super slack Enduro-bikes though…

How much closer to an Enduro29 (going downhill) do you think Monarch Debon Air and Pike fork take the evo29?
What does the Monarch Debon Air add to the riding experience over the Fox with CTD?

March 4, 2015, 12:15 p.m.

I have not ridden the E29 - where did you demo it from?

Dunbar has a medium, they just sold their Large demo. I usually ride a large and tested the medium and was blown away. I went on a ride side by side with my buddy in his medium SJ evo 29 to compare. We swapped back and forth a lot, up and down, and now he wants en enduro29 as well.

I'd be curious to hear more about what a Debon Air and Pike could bring to the stumpy though…

March 4, 2015, 7:28 p.m.

The SJ Evo and E29 are very different bikes.

The E29 is more agile at slow speed than a lot of 650b AM bikes which dispels the main 29" criticism.

The Stumpy is much more stable and subsequently less agile but I raced the Stumpy XC but I wouldn't do the same on my E29. Monarch on the E29 is another world from a Float CTD and I'm sure it would be the same on the Stumpy.

Both killer bikes. Just depends what you want to do.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 4, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Kona Process 134

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 4, 2015, 8:25 p.m.

Whatever happened to Brodies?

Oh yeah I just read in a magazine that the new spesh enduro goes boing boing when you stand up to pedal.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 4, 2015, 8:27 p.m.

Whatever happened to Brodies?

They changed their focus to the commuter/ cyclocross / entry road crew, with a few select hard tail and aggressively priced Asia produced Ti frames.

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

March 4, 2015, 9:03 p.m.

They changed their focus to the commuter/ cyclocross / entry road crew, with a few select hard tail and aggressively priced Asia produced Ti frames.

not paul. he's still focused on blowing minds at nahbs

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 4, 2015, 9:55 p.m.

not paul. he's still focused on blowing minds at nahbs

yay got a e-mail from him the other day , glad to see he is getting back into modern bicycles again

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 5, 2015, 12:47 a.m.

Pulled the trigger on the Endruo Carbon 29, a much different bike than I originally anticipated. After 1 day on the demo enduro29 it was just way too much fun to pass up, so I found a 2014 carbon for a good price, the lighter bike should help with the climbing. Thank you all for your feedback
(Simons Bike shop has a couple more carbon E29's left from 2014)

March 5, 2015, 8:11 a.m.

It's a fun bike for sure. Have fun on the fun bike!

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman