Bike Suggestion

March 2, 2015, 12:53 p.m.

Just looking to see if any of you want to share their infinite knowledge to help me out with a new bike….

I currently ride a 2010 StumpJumper FSR (140mm fork, 68 HTA) and want to upgrade to another nimble bike that is fun to punch up technical climbs but can also handle some shore style down. I will sacrifice down ability before up, but I'm thinking of finding a steep HTA bike (68 degrees) with 140mm fork and adding a travel adjust Pike at 140/160 so I can open it up for the downs while keeping that steep HTA for the ups.

I'm leaning towards 650b, any ideas? I'm staying away from the new stump jumpers because I don't like the idea that their 650b's use the 29" front triangle and a spacer with an awkwardly low BB height.

Two bikes I have noticed so far are the Norco Sight and the Kona Precept DL. I want to keep the STA steep (74) for climbing so have ruled out a couple bikes due to that (Trek [HTML_REMOVED] Devinci).

I started riding more seriously in the last year, but went about 75 times since then and have found I am gravitating a bit more to technical steeps but I truly love the technical climbing and don't want to sacrifice that area. I usually ride Seymour and will go down SD or AA and then work the lower XC trails. Any comments or ideas? Budget sits around 4k, maybe a bit more if needed.
Your help is much appreciated, thanks!!! :)

March 2, 2015, 12:58 p.m.

nimble bike that is fun to punch up technical climbs but can also handle some shore style down. I will sacrifice down ability before up

sounds like you want a ~120mm travel 29er dually. the part of your post i quoted above puts me in mind of the trek fuel 29er i reviewed last year. with a light set of wheels, there's virtually nothing that bike couldn't climb, and it was surprisingly capable on the descents

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 2, 2015, 1 p.m.

One thing to add, I know many will suggest the newer geometry slacker bikes can be peddled up. I tried the Trance SX with adjustable pike and found that it can go up most stuff, but it isn't necessarily "fun" going up.

March 2, 2015, 1:17 p.m.

sounds like you want a ~120mm travel 29er dually. the part of your post i quoted above puts me in mind of the trek fuel 29er i reviewed last year. with a light set of wheels, there's virtually nothing that bike couldn't climb, and it was surprisingly capable on the descents

I think that would be too much of a downgrade (downhill wise) from my SJ FSR which is 140mm and 68 HTA. Perhaps the SJ FSR 29 EVO with 140mm and 68 HTA. I wasn't sure if 29 would be the best way to go though for tight turns and more technical downhill?

March 2, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

oh, you're looking for that bike that's fun going up!! especially the steep and technical, and those long roads? let me know when you've found it, i'll be next in line to buy it!

(ironically, my mate has the SX Advanced and he just may describe it that way. but he also likes running up steep mtns at great length)

March 2, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

if you really are willing to sacrifice downhill performance for climbing chops, you might be looking for bikes with long chainstay numbers:

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

March 2, 2015, 3:17 p.m.

Check out the new short travel 29ers like the Transition Smuggler, Banshee Phantom or Evil Following.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 2, 2015, 3:25 p.m.

A lot of you are recommending 29ers, and a long chain stay, perhaps the stumpy fsr 29 evo? It comes with 140mm revelation but I could also swap out for 150/130 dual Pike fork :coo:

March 2, 2015, 3:31 p.m.

A lot of you are recommending 29ers, and a long chain stay, perhaps the stumpy fsr 29 evo?

no good; that bike sacrifices NOTHING

;)

March 4, 2015, 10:03 a.m.

I am very much in the same boat. I have 2 bikes - a 26" element (with a 140mm fork), and a 26" norco sight (with a 150mm fork).

I am looking to split the trail and AM category with something that can handle the shore, squamish and whistler (outside the park). Also thinking that 29 might be an option for me as i am 6'3" and 210 (on a good day). I ride from home, so climbing is important.

Bikes that have caught my eye:
- Rocky Mountain Instinct or Altitude (or possible thunderbolt)
- Giant Reign
- Specialized Enduro 29
- Trek Remedy 29

Open to suggestions and pro's and cons of each category.

March 4, 2015, 10:19 a.m.

I am very much in the same boat. I have 2 bikes - a 26" element (with a 140mm fork), and a 26" norco sight (with a 150mm fork).

I am looking to split the trail and AM category with something that can handle the shore, squamish and whistler (outside the park). Also thinking that 29 might be an option for me as i am 6'3" and 210 (on a good day). I ride from home, so climbing is important.

- Giant Reign
- Specialized Enduro 29
- Trek Remedy 29

At 6'3" the trail bike for you should be a 29er. I'd get a 120mm slack 29er for trail (I like the new crop of bikes like the Banshee Phantom, Evil Following, etc) and a 150mm 650b AM bike like a Range (or gnarlier if you ride the park).

The E29 is a monster bike that is surprisingly versatile and could replace both those bikes. I think a 650b Range or Enduro could as well. The newer bikes are lighter and way more versatile than they used to be. As long as you aren't much of a park rider you should be able to build a 30lb bike that can do trail/AM no problem. I'd get out and ride the different wheel sizes and see what you like.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

March 4, 2015, 11:17 a.m.

The Stumpjumper FSR 29er (no matter if evo or non evo) is the best climbing bike I´ve ridden. At least for technical and steep stuff. The long stays let you climb just about anything, if you have the legs for it. Just sit and spin.

If you get the EVO version you even can add a Monarch Debon Air down the road. FANTASTIC!

I wouldn´t describe the Evo 29er as nimble though. It is quite long…

Nimbler than a lot of new-school super slack Enduro-bikes though…

March 4, 2015, 11:23 a.m.

One thing to add, I know many will suggest the newer geometry slacker bikes can be peddled up. I tried the Trance SX with adjustable pike and found that it can go up most stuff, but it isn't necessarily "fun" going up.

Interesting that you found the Trance SX not fun to climb. I guess it is perspective, but even without a travel adjust fork on my Trance SX I have found it to be an exceptionally good at technical climbing. I wouldn't classify it as a rocket, but then again, I have a 160mm fork with sizeable tires (MM up front and EXO DHF out back, will replace with HD for the summer). If I can pedal the bike will find traction.

March 4, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

Interesting that you found the Trance SX not fun to climb. I guess it is perspective, but even without a travel adjust fork on my Trance SX I have found it to be an exceptionally good at technical climbing. I wouldn't classify it as a rocket, but then again, I have a 160mm fork with sizeable tires (MM up front and EXO DHF out back, will replace with HD for the summer). If I can pedal the bike will find traction.

traction was surprisingly good, but I found the front end wandered a lot more than i was used to. A lot of it is likely personal preference and skill, I just wasn't a fan of the geometry while climbing - I think the slacker HTA at 66 did this.
I found the Enduro 29 to be a superior climber, for me anyways. It's HTA is 67.5.

March 4, 2015, 11:43 a.m.

- Giant Reign
- Specialized Enduro 29
- Trek Remedy 29

Have you test rode the Enduro29? I recommend you do and your mind may be made up. I was looking for a much lighter bike with less travel, but once riding that machine yesterday I was grinning ear to ear and in love. I think I will be going to buy it today. It climbs surprisingly well. I had better XC times with the E29 compared to my current stumpy 26, and it was way more fun!
I compared it directly to the stump jumper 29 evo and found that the marginal climbing benefits with the stumpy weren't enough to justify less ability going down - which I found to be a pretty significant difference. The shorter chainstay on the E29 makes a big difference going down.