Bike Storage Rack - building

Dec. 19, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

I'm almost embarassed to say I had one of those bikes I think it was back in 98 or 99…

Dec. 19, 2012, 6:19 p.m.

that looked promising until i saw a pic of the guy's bike

Who cares what bike someone else rides and how would that affect what you thought of the rack?

Dec. 19, 2012, 6:41 p.m.

Who cares what bike someone else rides and how would that affect what you thought of the rack?

sigh

edit

fwiw, i do like the idea of using pvc pipe but i might change the design slightly.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2012, 6:57 p.m.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a line up of guys willing to build you one

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 19, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

Doesn't have to look super pretty, needs to fit a couple mountain bikes (hence the front hang) then you know the usual, commuter, beater and cough road bike cough

then this suggestion that shirk posted up would work well

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2710319[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=48

i would also second his suggestion of using a 2x6 across the top and would add that the diagonal supports should be higher up to increase the stability of the rack. i also like the suggestion of putting it on wheels so you can move it around. use pine, sand off any markings and stain it a nice colour to match your decor. between hooks, lumber, screws, stain and maybe wheels you could put it together for under $100.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 19, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

sigh

edit

fwiw, i do like the idea of using pvc pipe but i might change the design slightly.

We need to start using what I have seen labelled as /sartalics/ on the boards…lol.

Dec. 20, 2012, 10 a.m.

Nice set up, but does rather fail the whole 'must be freestanding thing', old chap.

that becomes free standing if you attach forward legs at either end. I'll post a picture of a freestanding wall later this evening. Mine holds 8 bikes (and it held a kayak on the back side for a few months)

Dec. 20, 2012, 10:40 p.m.

I built a PVC rack just like those, works pretty good for in the garage, it's alright for in the truck but I still just use a pad and hang them over the tail gate.

in the garage i have four bikes rammed in there alternating front/back

July 13, 2013, 10:25 a.m.

I have a free standing bike rack that holds up to 8 bikes, free to anyone that wants it in Mid August. I built it to store bikes in a small condo, it's now being used in my garage. It isn't pretty, but it is solid…