Bike Shops - Listen

June 25, 2018, 9:53 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Nein. No shock yet.

You seem to be a rocket scientist when it comes to that, who should I poke?

Why's it so hard? Pricing? If so:

Go into a Trek store - Port Coquitlam Burnaby Maple Ridge or Port Moody and tell them that you want to price match a shock and they'll do it for you. Global Price Match.

Last edited by: nouseforaname on June 25, 2018, 9:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 25, 2018, 10:35 a.m.

Nein.  No shock yet.

It's due to it being a Metric piece of shit isn't it?

SWerx is no go?

June 25, 2018, 10:49 a.m.

Shops with that attitude are just hurting themselves long run. I've had it from a few places in Vancouver as well when I was bike shopping last year. I just ask them "so what exactly am I getting by paying you guys 30-50% more for essentially the same bike?", leads to some fun conversations. Pretty much stopped going to any unless I absolutely need something that day. Service is always BicycleHub now, would rather deal with traffic getting to the shore than drive 5 min down the street to Dunbar after all the problems I've had with them over the years.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-DHX2-Metric-Factory-2019

Looks like a month until the 2019 are in stock. Jenson will give you an all-in price including shipping/duty if you are desperate, but then you'll own an "internet shock".

June 25, 2018, 11:37 a.m.

Posted by: grambo

Shops with that attitude are just hurting themselves long run. I've had it from a few places in Vancouver as well when I was bike shopping last year. I just ask them "so what exactly am I getting by paying you guys 30-50% more for essentially the same bike?", leads to some fun conversations.

It sounds like you are both giving attitude ^^ but is their attitude spontaneous or in response to your attitude ?

so besides attitude what does one get for paying extra from a non-virtual bike store ?

whats the toehr side of it ?

June 25, 2018, 12:20 p.m.

Nein.  No shock yet.

What size do you need?

June 25, 2018, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

Shops with that attitude are just hurting themselves long run. I've had it from a few places in Vancouver as well when I was bike shopping last year. I just ask them "so what exactly am I getting by paying you guys 30-50% more for essentially the same bike?", leads to some fun conversations.

It sounds like you are both giving attitude ^^ but is their attitude spontaneous or in response to your attitude ?

so besides attitude what does one get for paying extra from a non-virtual bike store ?

whats the toehr side of it ?

Attitude in response to attitude is a poor strategy for a retailer.  Sometimes the customer isn't there to be nice - when they're spending thousands of dollars on something a good salesperson can justify their pricing with a smile on their face, turing a tough question into a sale and dedicated customer.  If they give attitude than, well, grambo's experience is what happens.  Customer walks away.

The free market is tough and rewards people who can change with the times and anticipate future changes.  I love my LBS, but I worry if they can read the writing that's on the wall or if they're just angry about some graffiti.

June 25, 2018, 2:04 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Nein.  No shock yet.

What size do you need?

The uber-popular 250x75.

June 25, 2018, 2:35 p.m.

Shops with that attitude are just hurting themselves long run. I've had it from a few places in Vancouver as well when I was bike shopping last year. I just ask them "so what exactly am I getting by paying you guys 30-50% more for essentially the same bike?", leads to some fun conversations. Pretty much stopped going to any unless I absolutely need something that day. Service is always BicycleHub now, would rather deal with traffic getting to the shore than drive 5 min down the street to Dunbar after all the problems I've had with them over the years.

Looks like a month until the 2019 are in stock. Jenson will give you an all-in price including shipping/duty if you are desperate, but then you'll own an "internet shock".

I mean - how many years have you had problems with Dunbar? I'm not here to defend them, but as the only mtb shop in the core of the city, It's a zoo... I have never had an unsolvable issue when I have needed to book something in.. It did definitely change when they move to the new location. But Dunbar sure is handy in a pinch, and they tend to have oddball parts kicking around... 

Mighty Riders, Dream Cycle, Bicycle Hub all do wicked jobs for what you need.  Mighty riders has been awesome to me over the years.

June 25, 2018, 3:25 p.m.

You also cannot order FOX products from the US and ship them into Canada.  Distributor protection on the Canadian side I assume. Point Roberts is always an option!

June 25, 2018, 9:19 p.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

You also cannot order FOX products from the US and ship them into Canada.  Distributor protection on the Canadian side I assume. Point Roberts is always an option!

Holy. Fuck.  OGC needs to DIAF then.

June 26, 2018, 10:29 a.m.

I don't get attitude cuz I never show my hand, cuz IME one is further ahead/learns more if I let them think they are dealing with a clueless consumer so ratehr than show my hand if I don't like the deal ... I just leave

June 26, 2018, 10:33 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

This shit makes me insane. When a company makes a product you want but the distributor agreement prevents the local dealer from getting it for you. Um once I'm forced to source it myself from the US and then go pick it up, what exactly do I need the Canadian side for? It's especially hurtful if you went to the trouble of trying to do it through your LBS first. Once the system forces a consumer to self-emancipate themselves from the dealer/distributor gridlock it's hard to get them back, if not impossible.

June 26, 2018, 11:11 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Endur-Bro

This shit makes me insane. When a company makes a product you want but the distributor agreement prevents the local dealer from getting it for you. Um once I'm forced to source it myself from the US and then go pick it up, what exactly do I need the Canadian side for? It's especially hurtful if you went to the trouble of trying to do it through your LBS first. Once the system forces a consumer to self-emancipate themselves from the dealer/distributor gridlock it's hard to get them back, if not impossible.

Im not sure who the distributor for FOX is in Canada. Is it OGC?  Im sure they can get it for you, but it will cost you much more than it would ordering from the US, and it will likely take 5x longer.

June 26, 2018, 8:21 p.m.

Yep, the distributor system is a major drag on the industry up here.  

I could see how they were useful in the past but now?  It's just as easy to send something for service in California as it is in Colorado so I really don't know what customers need 'em for.  I think they offer a little more value to shops (warranty support and product knowledge training?) but it seems like the shops looking to survive in the future in the face of easy access to information and fast/good mail order should perhaps be looking for a way to cut out the middleman.  They're customers already are, and lagging behind your customers is never a good idea.

June 27, 2018, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Yep, the distributor system is a major drag on the industry up here.  

I could see how they were useful in the past but now?  It's just as easy to send something for service in California as it is in Colorado so I really don't know what customers need 'em for.  I think they offer a little more value to shops (warranty support and product knowledge training?) but it seems like the shops looking to survive in the future in the face of easy access to information and fast/good mail order should perhaps be looking for a way to cut out the middleman.  They're customers already are, and lagging behind your customers is never a good idea.

I know way more than more most bike stores when it comes to the peculiar stuff I've been studying for weeks online. What they do offer is actual boots on the ground local knowledge of what parts and setups are working for people under various conditions, etc. That kind of information in super valuable in tempering your research and I'll always work with my local shop to get it.