Bike frame/parts drought 2021

Nov. 8, 2021, 7:01 a.m.

Roger that @trumpstinyhands, @t500Titan

Nov. 8, 2021, 3:34 p.m.

Anyone using the Garbaruk cassettes? I was thinking of getting the 11 speed 10-46. I am happy to stay on 11 speed right now and that range is working really well for me with a 28t chainring. I also have used one of their chainrings and it was fine. But now I am reading some people saying the shift quality is bad. I'll be honest, I'm not super sensitive as long as it doesn't catch or mis-shift.

I have a sunrace 10-46 right now but I warped the largest cog which is apparently a common issue. Still working ok but I need to plan for its demise soon.

Nov. 8, 2021, 5 p.m.

Posted by: Abies

Anyone using the Garbaruk cassettes? I was thinking of getting the 11 speed 10-46. I am happy to stay on 11 speed right now and that range is working really well for me with a 28t chainring. I also have used one of their chainrings and it was fine. But now I am reading some people saying the shift quality is bad. I'll be honest, I'm not super sensitive as long as it doesn't catch or mis-shift.

I have a sunrace 10-46 right now but I warped the largest cog which is apparently a common issue. Still working ok but I need to plan for its demise soon.

I've had great luck with my sunrace cassettes, but they make an all steel version that might be a bit more resistant to bending than the ones with the aluminum 46. A bit more weight but they wear amazingly well.

Last edited by: mammal on Nov. 8, 2021, 5:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 8, 2021, 5:51 p.m.

Anyone ever bought sunshine?

40$

Sunshine Cassette

I'm thinking I am done with SRAM and shimano cassettes. Check out this one. I usually get the all steel sram cassette that goes for 160, this one is half that. Wonder if it will wear twice as fast?

XD compatible

Last edited by: RAHrider on Nov. 8, 2021, 6:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 8, 2021, 7:25 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

40$

Sunshine Cassette

I'm thinking I am done with SRAM and shimano cassettes. Check out this one. I usually get the all steel sram cassette that goes for 160, this one is half that. Wonder if it will wear twice as fast?

XD compatible

Definitely curious to hear how it works if you get one.

Nov. 9, 2021, 6:24 a.m.

Don't use Garbaruk myself, but several of my friends do, and they are all very happy with the cassettes and only buy those now. All of them combined with Sram shifting. No mentions of bad shifting at all, and that comes from some very picky people. Might be different with Shimano though

Nov. 9, 2021, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: olaa

Don't use Garbaruk myself, but several of my friends do, and they are all very happy with the cassettes and only buy those now. All of them combined with Sram shifting. No mentions of bad shifting at all, and that comes from some very picky people. Might be different with Shimano though

I would assume that the 11spd cassettes would likely shift well with Shimano everything stuff, but the 12spd shimano chains will need the specific tooth profile. So the Garbaruk 12spd stuff probably wouldn't jive well with 12spd Shimano chains.

Nov. 9, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

40$

Sunshine Cassette

XD compatible

Some interesting configurations there - 9-speed 11-46/50 anyone? No? How about an 8-speed 11-46?

Excuse me while I go poking around my parts bin for XTR shifters to put back into service…

Edit: just been fantasizing about a 9-speed 11-46 single ring drivetrain with an XTR shifter and 11-speed clutch XT derailleur 🤤

…that would work, ya?

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 9, 2021, 12:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 9, 2021, 4:01 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

40$

Sunshine Cassette

XD compatible

Some interesting configurations there - 9-speed 11-46/50 anyone? No? How about an 8-speed 11-46?

Excuse me while I go poking around my parts bin for XTR shifters to put back into service…

Edit: just been fantasizing about a 9-speed 11-46 single ring drivetrain with an XTR shifter and 11-speed clutch XT derailleur 🤤

…that would work, ya?

I have an old deore thumb shifter - 7 speed but you can push past the end to get 8! Think of all the shifters you could salvage out of the parts bin....

Nov. 9, 2021, 5:14 p.m.

Now you have wondering what stupid combo I can come up with using my 9-speed dura ace bar end shifter and a thumbie mount…my XT 7’s are tied up on a vintage bike right now.

Nov. 9, 2021, 5:16 p.m.

40$

Sunshine Cassette

XD compatible

…that would work, ya?

I personally use a 10 speed XTR cassette (36/11) but the catch is using a 22t granny up front.  This presents a challenge for modern bikes as most (suspension designs anyway) don't take the clearance for a granny into account.  21t works as well IF you can find it.  Use stainless for long lasting results.  The nice thing about the XTR cassette is the gears in this combo are all titanium (the largest 5) so you get the most amount of wear resistance.  

When I bought my XTR setup (cassette, shifter and derailleur) you could get them, and I have a full spare setup.  But I can't for the life of me find a derailleur or shifter, anywhere.

Nov. 9, 2021, 5:46 p.m.

I love a good 10spd setup with 11/42 or 11/46 and a goat link from wolf tooth for clearance. When Shimano launched the new Deore 12spd group, they also quietly launched new 10 and 11spd versions too. Not sure if one can get there hands on those, given the supply chain, but that definitely got me thinking about switching back from 12 to 10, with sunrace steel cassettes for durability and the nice ratios they offer.

Nov. 9, 2021, 6:27 p.m.

Ya my mountain bike runs a 32 front and 11-46 Sunrace 10-speed with and XTR shifter (going strong since 2011) and Im super happy with it all around. My plan has been to use a 11 speed XT derailleur on there when the XT 10-speed with RADr cage needs replacing ‘cause apparently it works. Or complete AdventX. Might go with the 10-speed Deore though if it’s designed for it, that’s a hot option, thanks.

I like these wide-range 9-speed cassettes for my cross bike, that guy is 9-speed single ring but could use just a tooch lower bottom end as well as a clutch. So many options, what a time to be alive and a gear hoarder!

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 9, 2021, 6:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 9, 2021, 7:20 p.m.

I bought a complete Microshift Acolyte 8 speed drivetrain from bike24 for my fat bike this winter and the whole kit was cheaper than my Deore 12spd cassette. 8 speed 12-46 HG steel cassette, clutch derailleur and shifter for like 100$cdn. It will be used with a 32t steel front ring, which should make the kit pretty durable!

I'll see how it works, but I wouldn't mind using a "higher end" 8 or 9 speed Shimano Deore 6200 groupset (fictive!) on my "main" bike with a wide range cassette like that. I don't think that SRAM or Shimano would go for ideas like that though.

Last edited by: martin on Nov. 10, 2021, 8:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 10, 2021, 7:36 a.m.

My plan has been to use a 11 speed XT derailleur on there when the XT 10-speed with RADr cage needs replacing ‘cause apparently it works. Or complete AdventX. Might go with the 10-speed Deore though if it’s designed for it, that’s a hot option, thanks.

The new 10/11spd Deore derailleur (RD-M5120-SGS) is designed to clear a 46 tooth cogs, which is exactly what the world needs. The ratios on the Deore 10spd 11-46 cassette are horrible, but like always, HG standard opens up compatibility with all the other brands with better/cheaper ratios (Sunrace etc). I didn't realize till now that the dedicated Deore 10spd der is non-clutch, but they use the 11spd clutch der to cover both duties. 

And yeah, AventX is definitely intriguing.

Last edited by: mammal on Nov. 10, 2021, 7:41 a.m., edited 2 times in total.