Oct. 25, 2021, 9:11 a.m.

Posted by: andy-eunson

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: Endur-Bro

That Selva DC is weird as Formula is already there with their Nero R fork.  They just lack the lower offset numbers Enduro-ists want.  I'm down with those machined crowns though.

Also; Öhlins DH38 m.1 can be had in 180mm and 46mm offset flavours.

I thought there was a whole thing where you have to compare the offsets of SC forks differently to DC forks because SC forks the legs enter the crown at a slight angle.

Correct. That was an interesting point I took from the Chris Porter podcast #2.

Riiiiight. That's where I heard it too. That was a clever angle I'd not considered.

I haven't listened to that episode yet.  I have noticed with the MORC 40 and Nero equipped G1s that something is up. Porter/MOJO even mentioned as much on IG/FB posts but more detail beyond the offset numbers of a DC don't need to be as low.  Noticed Dan Ashton is running his Boxxer crowns backwards on his Canyon DH bike last week. 

Are you saying that the stanchion is slightly angled into the crown on a SC fork?  And a DC fork is obviously clamped by the tree perpendicular to the stanchion tubes?

Either way I don't think dropping an enduro DC fork with 56mm offset is going to help sales. Especially when Aurum and Session are coming with 46mm Boxxers. And likely next Gen DH bikes will follow suit

Correct. But like everything with bikes you can't compare apples to oranges without considering their place in the system. Like those people who compare Reach numbers between bikes without considering ESTA.

If the offset numbers mean different things between SC and DC forks then does it necessarily mean that 46 is better than 56 on a DC fork and for on which wheel size?

Offset is measured from a line through the steer tube centre   to the drop out no? In which case angles at the crown aren’t really relevant.

I thot offset was the amount the front axle is off set forward of an imaginary line drawn  thru the head tube ? In any case what does it do ? I have noticed that in spite of the new bike being longer/ slacker head angle,  the bike having  a newer fork with less offset altho still very similar to an ancient 55mm offset fork is easier to get around those track-standy  switchbacks but I'm not sure if the offset  is doing it ?

Oct. 25, 2021, 10:13 a.m.

Those Deore cassettes don't expire because the teeth wear out. They expire because the rivets holding the assembly together come loose.

That's why I want to get another one just in case. Do you know if that happens to all 12 spd Shimano cassettes? I've seen some info a while back on MTBR but I don't remember what was the consensus.

Oct. 25, 2021, 11:10 a.m.

Posted by: martin

Those Deore cassettes don't expire because the teeth wear out. They expire because the rivets holding the assembly together come loose.

That's why I want to get another one just in case. Do you know if that happens to all 12 spd Shimano cassettes? I've seen some info a while back on MTBR but I don't remember what was the consensus.

Oh my bad. I thought you were referring to the 10-51 11s cassette (CS-M5100-11) which runs on a hyperglide driver. I can't comment on the 12s microspline ones.

Oct. 25, 2021, 11:28 a.m.

Yeah the 11 speed seem to have had some problems. I have seen only one report for the 12s ( SLX M7100) so I'm crossing my fingers.  Always tricky to buy a spare cassette just in case if you end up using it in 3-4 years and the rivets start to loosen after the warranty is expired. 

From what I've read, the 12s Deore M6100 has steel rivets vs M7100/8100/9100 who have aluminum rivets. Those probably have higher chances to wear out prematurely compared to the M6100. That was my reflection when I bought it.

Oct. 26, 2021, 7:12 a.m.

Posted by: martin

The season is pretty much over here out East and my fat bike is ready for snow riding. I just bought some spare 12spd Shimano chains from Steed. They were out of stock at most online stores and those who had stock jacked their prices up (except Steed) so that got me thinking that the parts shortage situation isn't much better that it was. 

Thinking about buying a spare cassette while my LBS still has some in stock even if I have a steel Deore 10-51 and it will probably last me 10 years haha.

I don't feel like checking for in stock parts all winter so I'm doing it right now. @sethimus is it getting better or worse for stock levels at your shop?

depends on brand and quantity you want stuff in. also coubtry of origin dependent. stuff from vietnam et al is a big nono, so get those shoes as long as there is supply

Oct. 26, 2021, 8:21 a.m.

The stocking up I did [SRAM 12 speed and Shimano 11 speed bits + tires + brake pads] early in the pandemic took the stress away as I knew I could keep bikes rolling unless something really unfortunate happened. And so far I've been lucky that I haven't actually needed anything I couldn't get my hands onto for maintenance parts. 

New parts/new bikes are another story, but the nice thing about my current stoke for hardtails is that it's pretty easy to scratch the new bike itch by just buying a frame and swapping existing parts over. I'm trying a SS HT at the moment, which was something I was keen on trying anyways, but it meshes with the pandemic pretty nicely since there is one less category of parts to worry about. 

I expect the supply snafus to stay real for another year or two. At least we can't complain stuff is boring!

Oct. 26, 2021, 10:09 a.m.

Most of the stocking up I did seems premature now but the real drought is yet to come. Drivetrains and brake pads and tires on both bikes are still doing fine, probably good through next year barring a major issues. I have more tires for both bikes too. It's totally possible a bike could get sidelined because of something small but you can't plan for every contingency.

Oct. 26, 2021, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

depends on brand and quantity you want stuff in. also coubtry of origin dependent. stuff from vietnam et al is a big nono, so get those shoes as long as there is supply

eh? Are you saying anything from Vietnam is a no go? 

I happen to work with a very large backpack manufacture that produces in Vietnam and the product is exemplary.

Oct. 26, 2021, 10:22 a.m.

I'd only feel bad if I put a bike out of action by not stocking up on something obvious when it was available - like needing a chain. If I KIA a fork in a rocky crash I'm not going to have a spare fork in a box just in case to replace it. That said I do have 3 MTBs at the moment [FS x 1 + HT x 2] so the chances I'd lose all 3 in the next 2 years without being able to fix one is super unlikely [garage theft or fire I suppose could do it].

I also figure all the spares I have [chains, brake pads, tires, etc...] are money in the bank and they'll get used one way or another. Just like my horde of 200 rolls of TP. ;-)

I have seen enough stock of new bikes trickle in that even if I had no MTBs I could get rolling on something and not hate my life. Again being stoked on HTs really opens up the options. :-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Oct. 26, 2021, 10:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 26, 2021, 11:44 a.m.

I've mostly been able to find what I need this year, with a little extra effort. I stocked up on brake pads, tires, cable and housing, chains, chain lube, grips. Just had to go for second choices in some cases, for example Koolstop brake pads, black-gold KMC chain, etc. Not what I would have gotten normally but good enough to keep the bike running and so far so good.

Oct. 26, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

I happen to work with a very large backpack manufacture that produces in Vietnam and the product is exemplary.

they had a lockdown, nothing got produced for weeks, so there will be new problems with supply

Oct. 26, 2021, 3:59 p.m.

I'm squeezing the last life out of my old Giant dropper, waiting for the in stock notification from OneUp... Also on the slow hunt for a 10spd 11-42 cassette.

If Vik and Craw are right about how long this will last (hope not, but fear so) I'll be scraping for pads and chains too. 

On the upside, I'm enjoying the harmless Russian roulette of watching the grey grease purge from the dropper seal and wondering if I'll be back on a rigid post before OneUp has stock.

Oct. 26, 2021, 4:58 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

they had a lockdown, nothing got produced for weeks, so there will be new problems with supply

Ah yes, I had read your comment to imply the quality of product produced wasn't good. Yes lots of supply issues. For us we have managed to receive most all of our winter product from the Vietnam factories.

Oct. 26, 2021, 9:16 p.m.

my understanding is they can make anything cheaper/ better in SE asia than in America

altho it is up to you to supervise it a bit ??

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 26, 2021, 9:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 27, 2021, 8:37 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

my understanding is they can make anything cheaper/ better in SE asia than in America

altho it is up to you to supervise it a bit ??

That was particularly true with outdoor gear. In particular seam-sealed goretex products. That capacity used to exist in NA but because of the time-consuming precision nature of the work it was all moved offshore, mostly to Vietnam. Whatever we are getting for this coming winter is already here. But a multi-month shutdown now will have a ripple effect on that supply for next fall. If you need new outdoor clothing made by the biggest players you should look for it now - whatever is in stock might be all there is for a year.