Bike frame/parts drought 2021

June 18, 2021, 9:20 a.m.

This needs to happen in such a bad way. The fork companies love their creaky CSUs. They're selling so many extra forks since everyone I know over 150 lbs unloads their forks after 12 months. I'm always terrified that my fork will make it that far so I can turn it and get a freshy. Being on DVO and Manitou has been better than the big players, couldn't get close to a year out those turds.

I'm honestly surprised the squid army on ebikes hasn't created demand for 160-180mm dual crowns. They loooove the look of stupid fat tires (all those 4.5's on cheap road ebikes, getting constant flats), I'd think they'd go for the moto'd out look of dual crowns. 

At some point I think we'll see a switch flip and trail dual crowns will be the next hot thing.

June 18, 2021, 11:41 a.m.

That Selva DC is weird as Formula is already there with their Nero R fork.  They just lack the lower offset numbers Enduro-ists want.  I'm down with those machined crowns though.

Also; Öhlins DH38 m.1 can be had in 180mm and 46mm offset flavours.

June 18, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Besides the newly machined crown this fork already exists in the Formula lineup: Stanchions from Nero R, air spring from Selva R (They could use a Nero R 180mm 3Air Spring too) damper from Selva R, lowers from the Selva/Nero depending if they go 15 or 20 on the Boost.

June 18, 2021, 4:52 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Posted by: shoreboy

Not sure if it was in this thread or not that Shimano mineral oil was being discussed/hard to find. Bicicletta in Vancouver has the 1L jugs available again if anyone is on the hunt. Not cheap ($42), but should last you a few years.

Those jugs are the only way to go. I've got 4 mtb's in my household that use it, and my jug is only half empty after 3 or 4 years.

Agreed. Ive had one for the past 5 years or so, and its almost empty. Ive done all my bikes, the wife's bikes and many others for friends. I ordered one yesterday, and it showed up today on my doorstep using the 'local delivery' option on their website ($5).  Thats impressive given how long most things seem to take right now.

June 19, 2021, 9:26 p.m.

The other site says the Selva DC will be available 2022 and MKII later this year.

Aug. 23, 2021, 11:13 a.m.

New inventory down used prices are up so due to the drought I was able to sell my 3 yr old Yeti 5.5 in great shape for 3800$. The dentist jokes are all apropo cuz I sold it to a medical professional who could afford to pay twice that $$$$ if they could find a new one, I would have liked to run it another 2-3 months but the deal came up

I got an Orbea Rise on order for next season so thats about a 6 month wait by which time there will be too much snow to ride so i will just keep riding theFAT bike

Aug. 23, 2021, 3:40 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

That Selva DC is weird as Formula is already there with their Nero R fork.  They just lack the lower offset numbers Enduro-ists want.  I'm down with those machined crowns though.

I thought there was a whole thing where you have to compare the offsets of SC forks differently to DC forks because SC forks the legs enter the crown at a slight angle.

Aug. 24, 2021, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I thought there was a whole thing where you have to compare the offsets of SC forks differently to DC forks because SC forks the legs enter the crown at a slight angle.

Correct. That was an interesting point I took from the Chris Porter podcast #2.

Aug. 24, 2021, 2:40 p.m.

Riiiiight. That's where I heard it too. That was a clever angle I'd not considered.

Aug. 24, 2021, 11:46 p.m.

Interesting story about PNW and their dealings with Amazon:

https://www.theverge.com/22618306/pacific-northwest-components-bike-company-quit-amazon-support-indie-shops

Aug. 26, 2021, 8:46 p.m.

Riiiiight. That's where I heard it too. That was a clever angle I'd not considered.

I haven't listened to that episode yet.  I have noticed with the MORC 40 and Nero equipped G1s that something is up. Porter/MOJO even mentioned as much on IG/FB posts but more detail beyond the offset numbers of a DC don't need to be as low.  Noticed Dan Ashton is running his Boxxer crowns backwards on his Canyon DH bike last week. 

Are you saying that the stanchion is slightly angled into the crown on a SC fork?  And a DC fork is obviously clamped by the tree perpendicular to the stanchion tubes?

Either way I don't think dropping an enduro DC fork with 56mm offset is going to help sales. Especially when Aurum and Session are coming with 46mm Boxxers. And likely next Gen DH bikes will follow suit

Aug. 27, 2021, 7:54 a.m.

I haven't listened to that episode yet.  I have noticed with the MORC 40 and Nero equipped G1s that something is up. Porter/MOJO even mentioned as much on IG/FB posts but more detail beyond the offset numbers of a DC don't need to be as low.  Noticed Dan Ashton is running his Boxxer crowns backwards on his Canyon DH bike last week. 

Are you saying that the stanchion is slightly angled into the crown on a SC fork?  And a DC fork is obviously clamped by the tree perpendicular to the stanchion tubes?

Either way I don't think dropping an enduro DC fork with 56mm offset is going to help sales. Especially when Aurum and Session are coming with 46mm Boxxers. And likely next Gen DH bikes will follow suit

Correct. But like everything with bikes you can't compare apples to oranges without considering their place in the system. Like those people who compare Reach numbers between bikes without considering ESTA.

If the offset numbers mean different things between SC and DC forks then does it necessarily mean that 46 is better than 56 on a DC fork and for on which wheel size?

Aug. 27, 2021, 10:04 a.m.

Correct. But like everything with bikes you can't compare apples to oranges without considering their place in the system. Like those people who compare Reach numbers between bikes without considering ESTA.

If the offset numbers mean different things between SC and DC forks then does it necessarily mean that 46 is better than 56 on a DC fork and for on which wheel size?

Offset is measured from a line through the steer tube centre   to the drop out no? In which case angles at the crown aren’t really relevant.

Oct. 25, 2021, 7:18 a.m.

The season is pretty much over here out East and my fat bike is ready for snow riding. I just bought some spare 12spd Shimano chains from Steed. They were out of stock at most online stores and those who had stock jacked their prices up (except Steed) so that got me thinking that the parts shortage situation isn't much better that it was. 

Thinking about buying a spare cassette while my LBS still has some in stock even if I have a steel Deore 10-51 and it will probably last me 10 years haha.

I don't feel like checking for in stock parts all winter so I'm doing it right now. @sethimus is it getting better or worse for stock levels at your shop?

Last edited by: martin on Oct. 25, 2021, 7:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 25, 2021, 9:02 a.m.

Those Deore cassettes don't expire because the teeth wear out. They expire because the rivets holding the assembly together come loose.