Bike frame/parts drought 2021

May 18, 2021, 10:52 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Posted by: D_C_

SRAM DUB BB92 Pressfit bb - I managed to grab one of the last ones in town, but plan b down the road is to use reducers in a 30 mm ID bb. It turns out the bearings in the DUB bb are 30 mm ID, so you could steal the plastic reducers from an old bb. https://nsmb.com/articles/aftermarket-bottom-brackets-dub-cranks/

An item to note on Sram and Enduro DUB bb's. They have both spec'd a custom bearing where the outer metal race is pressed into the frame. Regular 30mm bb's for BB92 are a tiny standard bearing pressed into a plastic shell, then the polymer shell is pressed into the frame so there is less space for the bearings. I think this distinction gets overlooked when people mention DUB and BB92.

So if you grab a regular 30mm bb for your BB92 and put the DUB inserts in you still get crappy tiny bearings.

I am pretty sure the SRAM bbs have bearings pressed into a cup, which is then pressed into the frame. In my experience, they hold up better than, say, a Race Face Cinch bb, but are still subject to similar thin bearings. The ultimate solution to the problem SRAM and others have created for themselves is, as you mentioned, something like the Enduro or Wheels Mfg bb, where the bearing outer race presses directly into the frame. But those are pricey and also hard to track down right now.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/sram-dub/bb86-to-29mm-dub-flanged-dual-row-pressfit-86-92-abec-3-bottom-bracket.html

Last edited by: D_C_ on May 18, 2021, 10:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2021, 12:37 p.m.

Posted by: olaa

Posted by: Endur-Bro

The Gravel bike Im after is only 3500KM away from where I'm located!

Anyone have local experience with Kavenz frames? RC length seems a little short in static length. But I like what they're offering.  In that I'll get the Reach/FC length with the shorter STL I require. Also not having to pay the Carb0n tax is a plus

The Kavenz frame is looking nice, and judging by the quality of the 77designz components  that the same people are making, then it should be pretty reliable. 

In the category of small german frame producers I ended up ordering from Crossworx. The bike is on it's way to me now, so no word yet on how it rides. However, the guys at Crossworx have been spot-on with production and building dates so far for a full build, which is refreshing with the current situation.

Torsten has one. Not sure if he's on here. He's on instagram . He rides the shore and such with it

@torstensinnemann is his account.

May 18, 2021, 1:24 p.m.

Posted by: olaa

In the category of small german frame producers I ended up ordering from Crossworx. The bike is on it's way to me now, so no word yet on how it rides. However, the guys at Crossworx have been spot-on with production and building dates so far for a full build, which is refreshing with the current situation.

love the looks of those. ancillotti-esque, only without the proprietary shock (and most likely better build quality). looking forward to hearing how it works.

May 18, 2021, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: DemonMike

Torsten has one. Not sure if he's on here. He's on instagram . He rides the shore and such with it

i remember that dude from years ago (dh racing). always rolling the exotic rigs (recall seeing him on a sunn radical once). keeping true to his brand, i see.

May 18, 2021, 4:56 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

i remember that dude from years ago (dh racing). always rolling the exotic rigs (recall seeing him on a sunn radical once). keeping true to his brand, i see.

Yup, that,s the guy. Used to ride with him back in those days. Think he had one of Nico's spare bikes. Dustin rode for them back in those days.

May 19, 2021, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Ok I gonna' make a list and post it in the buy 'n sell ok?

Ad's up, under "wheels".

May 21, 2021, 2:31 p.m.

Great time to sell off old parts. I sold an old Next SL crank and bb, pedals, Guide brakes and gave away an old fork in no time at all. Sale of my road bike pending too.

May 21, 2021, 5:31 p.m.

I just picked up an extra set of rubber today, but after reading this I think I will go get a chain and some brake pads.

May 22, 2021, 10:46 p.m.

Peeped his IG and contacted Kavenz.

May 24, 2021, 9:55 a.m.

He's a very social guy as well so ask questions if you need. Also very tall so if you are a bigger rider that might help as well.Regarding fit and such.

May 24, 2021, 10:28 a.m.

He's a very social guy as well so ask questions if you need. Also very tall so if you are a bigger rider that might help as well.Regarding fit and such.

I'd be curious to know what he says. I considered the Kavenz bike instead of the G1 I ended up with. I couldn't bring myself to buy another short chainstay bike, high pivot notwithstanding. The rest of the bike looks really good to me; I think their method of customization is a really good idea.

May 24, 2021, 11:40 a.m.

Posted by: craw

I'd be curious to know what he says. I considered the Kavenz bike instead of the G1 I ended up with. I couldn't bring myself to buy another short chainstay bike, high pivot notwithstanding. The rest of the bike looks really good to me; I think their method of customization is a really good idea.

I already asked them to make longer CS frame.  Even at sag 435mm is too short for a 29er. 435 at static is a start.

I wonder if its from being based in EuroTrashLand aka Swiss where theres tonnes of janky dead switchbacks on the ups and downs?

June 2, 2021, 1:12 a.m.

Kavenz is not swiss - they are based in Germany, I think…

I do second that I‘d not buy a short chainstay bike again, though. I have the feeling that the german bike market is divided into a lot of progressive riders, who embrace innovative stuff and then there are loads of casual riders who still mumble about 3x11 and wheelbase/maneuverability. It is quite funny. And some companies still address this demand very succesfully. And there are also a lot of cutting edge small german bike products, which is new. I mostly bought foreign stuff, because german stuff was kind of old school mtb…

Not only during Covid, but since a couple of years before the german mountainbiking scene is exploding and the amount of dedicated bike trails (illegal and legal, but without switchbacks :)) is growing dramatically, as is the common skill level and (what I really like) the diversity. You‘ll meet a lot of female riders, families, kids and riders of all ages on the trails and biking in Europe isn‘t the goofy switchback sausage-fest it used to be even ten years ago!

We are not right there where British Columbia is as far as legal trail access and especially legal trails for novices and beginners are missing in many places, but if you know where to look, you‘ll find quite a lot of (admittedly illegal) trails which equate to black or double black rating over at the shore.

And lots of easy blacks with lots of jumps. Night and day compared to the 2010s…

Last edited by: Znarf on June 2, 2021, 1:13 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 2, 2021, 7:43 a.m.

Posted by: Znarf

Kavenz is not swiss - they are based in Germany, I think…

I do second that I‘d not buy a short chainstay bike again, though. I have the feeling that the german bike market is divided into a lot of progressive riders, who embrace innovative stuff and then there are loads of casual riders who still mumble about 3x11 and wheelbase/maneuverability. It is quite funny. And some companies still address this demand very succesfully. And there are also a lot of cutting edge small german bike products, which is new. I mostly bought foreign stuff, because german stuff was kind of old school mtb…

Not only during Covid, but since a couple of years before the german mountainbiking scene is exploding and the amount of dedicated bike trails (illegal and legal, but without switchbacks :)) is growing dramatically, as is the common skill level and (what I really like) the diversity. You‘ll meet a lot of female riders, families, kids and riders of all ages on the trails and biking in Europe isn‘t the goofy switchback sausage-fest it used to be even ten years ago!

We are not right there where British Columbia is as far as legal trail access and especially legal trails for novices and beginners are missing in many places, but if you know where to look, you‘ll find quite a lot of (admittedly illegal) trails which equate to black or double black rating over at the shore.

And lots of easy blacks with lots of jumps. Night and day compared to the 2010s…

I think that's a bit besides the point. Kavenz offers options for the most important parts of the frame. It makes sense to offer a few rear center lengths so people can decide for themselves. Or at least a shorter and a longer option. It's absurd to think that one rear center length would suit all riders.

June 2, 2021, 9:32 a.m.

^yep. that's what most surprised me about this bike. everything else is highly scrutinized / custom configurable, but they chose to completely ignore front / rear balance across all sizes. granted, it's still a (common sense) concept that eludes a surprisingly high percentage of major manufacturers, soooo...

Last edited by: xy9ine on June 2, 2021, 9:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.