Bike frame/parts drought 2021

May 17, 2021, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

Are we looking at the beginning of drastic inflation?

New bikes all went up $500, used bikes doubled, and it sounds like cool old cars have followed the same trend.

Guys stateside are getting offered up to $10K over their purchase price on 10 yr old trucks.

May 17, 2021, 10:59 a.m.

it will be much worse, got the info today that we only get 1/4 of the 2022 bikes we ordered from our main brand till march 2022. even one of the largest brands can’t deliver earlier, and we are one of the biggest stores by numbers. thankfully we get a new brand in that fills the gap when autumn comes, else we won’t have much to do in winter.

small stores are fucked.

Last edited by: Sethimus on May 17, 2021, 11 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 17, 2021, 12:17 p.m.

My spouse just talked to her co-worker....he said he stopped at 5 different Shore bike shops looking for a pair of basic bikes for him and his wife to just ride around...5 shops no bikes.

May 17, 2021, 12:37 p.m.

I was told by LBS owner that Norco is sold out of bikes until 2023. No idea if that includes the soon to be released Range or not? 

Giant is sold out until 2022 launch. 

B&S will be loaded with cheap bikes (and other disposable income toys) in a few years. 🤣

May 17, 2021, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

no true. at least in europe.

May 17, 2021, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

no true. at least in europe.

Canada. This is Canada.

Also why wouldn't a shop want to sell me a new bike?

May 17, 2021, 3:39 p.m.

there is still some orderable stock, not much, but there is. especially since the new stuff comes so much later. they still have lots of e-trekking bikes for example, which sell like hot cakes. enhusiast bikes, not so much. but not sold out…

May 17, 2021, 4:28 p.m.

The Gravel bike Im after is only 3500KM away from where I'm located!

Anyone have local experience with Kavenz frames? RC length seems a little short in static length. But I like what they're offering.  In that I'll get the Reach/FC length with the shorter STL I require. Also not having to pay the Carb0n tax is a plus

May 17, 2021, 11:16 p.m.

can‘t they just ship it?

May 18, 2021, 4:53 a.m.

Anyone have local experience with Kavenz frames? RC length seems a little short in static length. But I like what they're offering.  In that I'll get the Reach/FC length with the shorter STL I require. Also not having to pay the Carb0n tax is a plus

The Kavenz frame is looking nice, and judging by the quality of the 77designz components  that the same people are making, then it should be pretty reliable. 

In the category of small german frame producers I ended up ordering from Crossworx. The bike is on it's way to me now, so no word yet on how it rides. However, the guys at Crossworx have been spot-on with production and building dates so far for a full build, which is refreshing with the current situation.

May 18, 2021, 7:55 a.m.

Giacomo the main guy behind 77 / Kavenz spent a couple seasons living here on the Shore riding before he went back to Germany to kick off the work on Kavenz. 

The frame should be durable, they had it tested to full DH standards and made multiple revisions to address failures and ensure it passed beyond the standard. The document the full process.

May 18, 2021, 8:39 a.m.

SRAM DUB BB92 Pressfit bb - I managed to grab one of the last ones in town, but plan b down the road is to use reducers in a 30 mm ID bb. It turns out the bearings in the DUB bb are 30 mm ID, so you could steal the plastic reducers from an old bb. https://nsmb.com/articles/aftermarket-bottom-brackets-dub-cranks/

Last edited by: D_C_ on May 18, 2021, 8:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2021, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: olaa

The Kavenz frame is looking nice, and judging by the quality of the 77designz components  that the same people are making, then it should be pretty reliable. 

In the category of small german frame producers I ended up ordering from Crossworx. The bike is on it's way to me now, so no word yet on how it rides. However, the guys at Crossworx have been spot-on with production and building dates so far for a full build, which is refreshing with the current situation.

I had a good chat with the guys at Crossworx when I was bike shopping last year. They thought my geometry demands were too extreme (I basically wanted their bike but with Geometron XL geometry numbers - I guess they've never met an XL human before). I wasn't prepared to pay Geometron level pricing without getting Nicolai level pedigree. That being said I love the look of the bike and hope they do really well as a company. Please share photos when you get it built up!

May 18, 2021, 9:44 a.m.

Posted by: D_C_

SRAM DUB BB92 Pressfit bb - I managed to grab one of the last ones in town, but plan b down the road is to use reducers in a 30 mm ID bb. It turns out the bearings in the DUB bb are 30 mm ID, so you could steal the plastic reducers from an old bb. https://nsmb.com/articles/aftermarket-bottom-brackets-dub-cranks/

An item to note on Sram and Enduro DUB bb's. They have both spec'd a custom bearing where the outer metal race is pressed into the frame. Regular 30mm bb's for BB92 are a tiny standard bearing pressed into a plastic shell, then the polymer shell is pressed into the frame so there is less space for the bearings. I think this distinction gets overlooked when people mention DUB and BB92. 

So if you grab a regular 30mm bb for your BB92 and put the DUB inserts in you still get crappy tiny bearings.

May 18, 2021, 10:25 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: olaa

I had a good chat with the guys at Crossworx when I was bike shopping last year. They thought my geometry demands were too extreme (I basically wanted their bike but with Geometron XL geometry numbers - I guess they've never met an XL human before). I wasn't prepared to pay Geometron level pricing without getting Nicolai level pedigree. That being said I love the look of the bike and hope they do really well as a company. Please share photos when you get it built up!

Coming from a G16 i totally get that, i' m only 6'2 and I had a an L G16 in order to get a nimble ride. The Crossworx will be similar geo wise in an xl. It is expensive as a frame only, but the full builds are actually pretty good value.

Pics will be posted when it shows up!