Bike frame/parts drought 2021

May 1, 2021, 7:59 a.m.

Panic bought another set of the trail boss/vigilante combo that I’ve been loving for the past couple months. Even the fast rolling rear is wearing out quick. I maybe should have bought two trail bosses, but could only find the light casing and wanted tough. Hope it holds up. I do have a random bin of tires I didn’t like but that have some life left. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. 

Also bought another couple chains (helps to be on 11 speed) and a new GX 170mm crank to gain a touch of clearance. That one was only in stock one place that I could find. 175s are plentiful though.

Oh and the article on alternative brake pads was pretty timely. I have a set of MTX pads on the way. Had to go with Organics last time...

I think that means I’m pretty stocked up now, but I’m sure there’s something I’m forgetting, or a part will brake that I don’t expect.

May 1, 2021, 12:55 p.m.

Toilet paper, don't forget teh toilet paper!

May 1, 2021, 11:10 p.m.

you folks know I'm an asshole, but i'm a clean asshole cuz I put in a Bidet 1 year ago and I have used < 6 rolls in 1 year

the saving in TP has paid for the 67 $ bidet

May 2, 2021, 3 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

unlike tp, parts are really in high demand and not in stock. but as you are only interested in posting conspiracy shit instead of going out biking, you clearly are not affected.

May 2, 2021, 8:47 a.m.

I’m concerned about ordering a frame as I don’t know if I’ll be able to secure the remaining parts to complete the build. 😂

Think headset, BB and cranks

May 2, 2021, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: tungsten

unlike tp, parts are really in high demand and not in stock. but as you are only interested in posting conspiracy shit instead of going out biking, you clearly are not affected.

Fuck dude, don’t drag the NBR nonsense out here please.

May 2, 2021, 9:04 a.m.

In addition to just getting replacment or buildout parts its gotta affect new bike/product development as well, we are only at the beginning of this no bike/ no part situation, its time for this pessimist to stand pat with whatever I already own and let things shake out

the NBR bulshit is on down low after we refused to play with the biggest player ... for now

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 2, 2021, 11:56 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2021, 9:40 p.m.

So what you all hoarding these days. I've got a veritable bike shop in my garage.

4 x 11 speed cassettes

1 x 12 speed xo1 cassette

5 or 6 11 speed chains

7 or 8 chain rings

2 boxes of 30m of housing

1 box of gear cables

1 litre of magura blood

1 litre of shimano oil

1 litre of each of rock shox fork oil, rock shox shock oil, fox gold and fox teflon infused oil

a giant rubbermaid full of spare tires

2 litres of stans

3 rolls of rim tape

I've also been investing in lubes. I have a tub of just about everything you could want for everything from overhauling your fork to your freehub.

Finally, I've been stocking up on tools and now have everything to fix just about anything. My latest purchase were the tools to cut a fork steerer and place a star nut. I figure, if I pay 30-40 bucks for a couple of tools, I only need to use them twice for them to pay for themselves. It is so nice to be able to straighten a bent hanger or cut down a fork 5-10mm at a time. I always get nervous when they ask me how long I want my fork cut. I never want to go too short and as a result all my forks have 1-3cm too much steerer. Now I can cut off the rest once I am certain how high/low I want my stem.

May 2, 2021, 11:02 p.m.

I stocked up on complete bikes. All 3 run the same standards. My rear wheels will go any other frame and I have a spare front wheel for each standard (20/15mm). 

There will inevitably be a donor bike at some point this season. 

I need tires though. I tried a maxterra minion today. It will be set aside as an absolute last resort.

May 3, 2021, 7:26 a.m.

Wow, now I feel inadequate. I have a couple spare chains, lube/cleaner, tons of cables and housing, a spare set of tires and a bin of reject tires that have life if needed, brake pads, and an extra chainring.

Didn’t want to buy more drivetrain parts (cassettes) since I’d planned to move to 12 speed this year but that seems unlikely now.

If I break anything else I’m going to get into gravel riding I guess. Never break anything on that bike.

Last edited by: Abies on May 3, 2021, 7:31 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 3, 2021, 8 a.m.

^^^^

If I break anything I'm buying a dirtbike:)

May 3, 2021, 8:30 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

So what you all hoarding these days. I've got a veritable bike shop in my garage.

... I've also been investing in lubes. 

You're not kidding, that's quite a list! Your hoarding is much better than my hoarding! Or, is it worse? I can't tell.

May 3, 2021, 1:30 p.m.

My list is similar. I have been panic buying consumables like crazy lately. One thing I don't see on your list is brake pads. I have a bunch of those. I have standardized all of our bikes to use the same drivetrains and brakes, which makes things easier.

May 3, 2021, 3:16 p.m.

Not sure it’s as bad as everyone feared. Sram stuff recently hit shelves, and I hear Shimano will be back in stock come July, but now There’s talk of looming North American gas shortages this summer. Wish I could store a bunch of unleaded.

May 3, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

Posted by: Bondseye

Not sure it’s as bad as everyone feared. Sram stuff recently hit shelves, and I hear Shimano will be back in stock come July, but now There’s talk of looming North American gas shortages this summer. Wish I could store a bunch of unleaded.

You don't have to worry about gas shortages, gas is commodity surge priced, as long as someone is willing to pay an extra $1/Liter, it will always be available.